Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:

I don't understand the assumption that any executive departure would necessarily be a "setback." For all we know, this guy was holding Dojo back, and his departure will be a good thing for training FSD.

I'm curious do you have "Joe Mode" enabled? If so, they greatly reduced the volume of alerts/notifications in Joe mode in a recent update. Enough that I had to turn it off. (And of course now they are too loud, but that is better than too quiet.)
I think so .... again shows why audible alerts aren't adequate for safety situations, if they are going to be highly reduced.

I don't understand the assumption that any executive departure would necessarily be a "setback." For all we know, this guy was holding Dojo back, and his departure will be a good thing for training FSD.
I doubt he was holding back ... since it would be against his interests too.

My interpretation would be Musk was unhappy with the progress. He will get someone else - which might be better or worse, we don't know.

My interpretation would be Musk was unhappy with the progress. He will get someone else - which might be better or worse, we don't know.

My point was that all we know is that he's left, but the headline says his departure is a "blow to efforts," and the first sentence says it's a "setback to the automaker's self-driving technology efforts."

And then they go on to say they have absolutely no additional information, but stand by the negative spin "The reason behind the departures couldn’t immediately be learned, but they pose a blow to the expensive and technologically advanced project."

It's not a factual article at this point, more of an OpEd.

My point was that all we know is that he's left, but the headline says his departure is a "blow to efforts," and the first sentence says it's a "setback to the automaker's self-driving technology efforts."
No doubt. Bashing Tesla sells ... its a clickbait.

I've seen a couple of instances where v11.4.8.1 delays acceleration after a traffic light turns green. Maybe a very slight throttle application at best. Maybe a new issue related to path planning as the blue path line is toggling between light and dark blue?

Reactions: sleepydoc

And then they go on to say they have absolutely no additional information, but stand by the negative spin "The reason behind the departures couldn’t immediately be learned, but they pose a blow to the expensive and technologically advanced project."

History is a good indicator the dojo $%^ likely hit the fan. It pays to hear what TSLA isn't saying. Here's a severance check if you sign this NDA and the truth stays behind the vault door.

History is a good indicator the dojo $%^ likely hit the fan. It pays to hear what TSLA isn't saying. Here's a severance check if you sign this NDA and the truth stays behind the vault door.

Yep, just like the Roadster, the Model S, and the Model 3 all hit the fan after Marc Tarpenning, Peter Rawlinson, and Doug Field left Tesla in 2008, 2012, and 2018 respectively.

Executives come and go, and they often sign NDAs and non-competes. It's a nothing-burger served cold on a slow-news day.

Oh yes - but not "subtle" clues that can result in accidents.

Yesterday I had to try 3 times - first two times no sound (may be the wiper drowned it out ?) - then I got a warning sound when FSD engaged because it was raining. Great design, that !

ps : Ofcourse the basic issue remains - why does FSD not engage when the "wheel" is showing ?

Also, engaging FSD but resulting in TACC is only 10% of the problem. 90% is when I disengage with the wheel and TACC is still on.
You’re confusing design with implementation. Even the best design will fail if it’s implemented poorly. Case in point.

“Blow to efforts” - says who? This is the editor’s interpretation. It may or may not be correct, and may simply be an exaggeration to drive veiws. We’ve all seen ‘journalism’ that is anything but. It’s noteworthy that he left and one source says it’s a blow.

I think so .... again shows why audible alerts aren't adequate for safety situations, if they are going to be highly reduced.

I doubt he was holding back ... since it would be against his interests too.

Or he was just tired of Musk’s unreasonable demands and requirements.