Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Yep, just like the Roadster, the Model S, and the Model 3 all hit the fan after Marc Tarpenning, Peter Rawlinson, and Doug Field left Tesla in 2008, 2012, and 2018 respectively.

Executives come and go, and they often sign NDAs and non-competes. It's a nothing-burger served cold on a slow-news day.
We'll see if it's a nothing burger or some crow. :)

Reactions: jebinc
I don't have 11.4.8.1 yet. The distribution curve is going down yesterday and today. Not sure what Tesla is up to?
My hw3 got it but my hw4 hasn't (looks like no one with hw4 did) don't know how this is gonna play out for next weeks holiday update. We ordered a new stealth grey model x and the delivery got pushed back because of software, and it's definitely a hw4 car. Maybe 11.4.8.1 was only for hw3 but how the heck is that going to work with the holiday update? Two or three branches of holiday update or maybe a merger?

My hw3 got it but my hw4 hasn't (looks like no one with hw4 did) don't know how this is gonna play out for next weeks holiday update. We ordered a new stealth grey model x and the delivery got pushed back because of software, and it's definitely a hw4 car. Maybe 11.4.8.1 was only for hw3 but how the heck is that going to work with the holiday update? Two or three branches of holiday update or maybe a merger?
I have HW3

I was driving with my daughter today and had dry wipes on 4 separate occasions. “so what?“ you say, “everyone knows the wipers suck on 11.4.x.” Here’s the kicker - the wipers were turned off. She was driving herself - no TACC, no FSD, nothing and had never activated them. I checked the wiper settings each time and they were completely off.
The wipers turn themselves on or off whenever they damn well feel like it. Only way I've been able to stop this is by cutting the wire.

Usually, I have to call my friend on the bomb squad. I can never remember, is it the red wire or the blue wire?

Sayest thou not, woe be unto me for mine chariot of electrons worketh but now doeth not, for thou surely doeth forgetteth the words of master Muskedine: “that which worketh shall be made broken, and that which beith broken shall stayeth so, for ever and ever, amen”.

The book of Elon
Chapter 69 verse 31415926

The wipers were not great but at least average before, so why did they bother changing the code? Why haven't they just reverted to the old code?
"Reduced vehicle velocity error by 3%" ummm.. ok. Is anyone going to notice that?

It's easy to solve .. they just do what every other car maker seems to be doing .. tune it so the bias is against false positives. But of course this ALSO leads to a reduction in TRUE positives .. in other words, you ID.4 wont phantom brake, but it also runs the risk of NOT braking when it should.

I'll take the odd phantom braking event over having the car crash in an emergency any day.
What if it crashes into a phantom?

Elon wants you to stick with inaudible alerts. 🤪
Wait can we talk about this for a sec.

When I get the black apply slight turn alert and the blue pulse I get no aural tone. Is it supposed to be like that or is mine broken? I’ve had someone else try my cars FSD and they heavily complained about having to take your eyes off the road to notice that it wants you to stay alert.

Wait can we talk about this for a sec.

When I get the black apply slight turn alert and the blue pulse I get no aural tone. Is it supposed to be like that or is mine broken? I’ve had someone else try my cars FSD and they heavily complained about having to take your eyes off the road to notice that it wants you to stay alert.
It changed a couple updates ago. It use to beep at you soon after the pulsing blue screen. Now it waits until right before it disengages.