Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
The pictures don't tell the whole story, the pictures inside the car and visualization seem accurate, but the pic outside the car with the scratch doesn't match

The car showed that the rear wheel was closest to the curb and that there was plenty of space near the front wheel. Realty was exactly the opposite; there was a foot or more of space between the rear wheel and the curb and the front wheel hit it.

Tesla Vision FTW.

The car showed that the rear wheel was closest to the curb and that there was plenty of space near the front wheel. Realty was exactly the opposite; there was a foot or more of space between the rear wheel and the curb and the front wheel hit it.

Tesla Vision FTW.

Well, based on the pictures, I'm not convinced. You may be right. But we need more information, especially the front camera view or view of the whole curb.

About 95% of all Teslas I see have some curb rash, so it's clear to me that most Tesla drivers will be bad with curbs.

This is a case where extraordinary claims require more evidence.

The picture below seems to show the front of the car is angled away from the curb, but the scratch picture shows it well-angled into the curb.

Screenshot_20231217_132958_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Yelobird and GWord

Tesla Vision FTW.
So you profess to have no faith in anything the Autopilot team does, yet you immediately go out and test it by pulling right up to the curb without verifying its accuracy first? And this despite the warning in the release notes?

So you profess to have no faith in anything the Autopilot team does, yet you immediately go out and test it by pulling right up to the curb without verifying its accuracy first? And this despite the warning in the release notes?

Correct. I had no intention of purposely testing this feature but I went to park and this very confident graphic showed up and I gave it a go. I know better than to trust Tesla‘s software and I paid for my mistake, financially. Lesson learned.

On our MY, the USS does not see curbs up close either, I assume because the sensors are well above typical curbs, and are looking over them.

Someone suggested Tesla was using USS to train the vision version. Perhaps not a great idea...

I never trusted curbs on my USS 3 for that reason and now I know not to trust Vision parking either.

Reactions: APotatoGod and Wnuk
Show us the Google map view of that specific curb

Weirdly combative but ok. The first pics were me first seeing the graphic and I took them (stopped) having been excited at something that was finally impressive for USS-less cars. You can see in the photo that the car indicated that the rear was quite close and there was plenty of space in the front. As I parked, the reality was the opposite and the front wheel curbed even as it continued to show plenty of space remaining.

34.06434° N, 118.21683° W

11.4.9 on the holiday update has some notable improvements on my routes. The car slams on the brakes far less often for traffic in adjacent lanes when using FSDb on the freeway. It feels ”skittish” in the same areas where it would normally hit the brakes but it’s an improvement.

I’ve only got about a hundred miles on this build so far but city driving is less bad. Of course it still makes a lot of the same dumb mistakes but it’s an improvement. I’ll try my test route soon.