Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
You just seem to be blaming Tesla for it in your posts.

At this point I regret even sharing my experience due to the wrath of the fanboys.

Tesla deployed a new feature. I stupidly tried to use their new feature despite six years of experience with their dodgy software and I damaged my car. That’s my story, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

.1 May be dead? Not seeing any new drip of pending. .2 is still getting topped up through.
At this point I regret even sharing my experience due to the wrath of the fanboys.

Tesla deployed a new feature. I stupidly tried to use their new feature despite six years of experience with their dodgy software and I damaged my car. That’s my story, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Thank you for sharing. Stay positive. Try not to post a picture of yourself and your car with coordinates.

.1 May be dead? Not seeing any new drip of pending. .2 is still getting topped up through.

Thank you for sharing. Stay positive. Try not to post a picture of yourself and your car with coordinates.
The coordinates are nowhere near my home nor do they represent a place I regularly visit.

My face is best used for radio.

Elon/Tesla fervor has reached a fever pitch, it seems, since that Cybertruck delivery spectacle.

I for one am glad you shared your experience.

Well I for one appreciate the information, it seems that in retrospect you have a reasonably balanced view of the incident.
I'm probably more in the fanboy camp than in the junk camp, but I think the correct view is somewhere in between. This is clearly a complex system in development, and it's wise to experiment with new capabilities very cautiously. Your experience underscores that but I don't blame you for understandable frustration.

It's true that most car companies (and their leaders) wouldn't have proceeded in this way, and it's also true that no other car company has, or would have, been capable of the forward progress that Tesla has made in several key technologies. The same comments definitely apply to SpaceX, so this is not a fluke or a coincidence.

Anyway, as you think about the incident further, please do share any further thoughts you have about why it went wrong, what the visualizations can tell you or not tell you etc. It doesn't have to be all one way or the other, and it's helpful despite the unfortunate reality of your case.

Regarding the sensor suite:
As others have pointed out, the USS sensors were great as far as they would go, but they didn't really tell us much about curbs, thin poles and other problems.

I'm long on record regarding disagreement with the camera placements, and I think it would have taken only 1 or 2 extra cameras, combined with more thoughtful placement of the existing number. But it's late in the game now, and would be extremely difficult for Tesla to change the existing ones in the next model - it might take 2 or 3 extras if existing ones aren't to be moved. Mostly I worry about cross-traffic visualizations, but parking lots are also important. The back half of the car has pretty good camera coverage down to the curbs, but the front half does not.

Last edited:

Thanks for the warning. Sorry that you had to speak from a bad experience, though.

And the 11.4.9 rollout continues with 2023.44.30.3 with 42 pending on TeslaFi and Teslascope showing these previous versions getting it:
Code:
2023.44.1    17
2023.44.30.1  5
2023.44.30.2  4
2023.38.9     1
2023.27.7     1

It'll be interesting if these include US HW4 vehicles as .2 HW4 vehicles were all outside North America.

Rollout of 2023.44.30.2 has also increased too with 942 pending on TeslaFi and nearly a total of 1400 including installed. Teslascope showing most are coming from 2023.44.1, so not just upgrading vehicles already on some 2023.44.30.x.

And the 11.4.9 rollout continues with 2023.44.30.3 with 42 pending on TeslaFi and Teslascope showing these previous versions getting it:
Code:
2023.44.1    17
2023.44.30.1  5
2023.44.30.2  4
2023.38.9     1
2023.27.7     1

It'll be interesting if these include US HW4 vehicles as .2 HW4 vehicles were all outside North America.

Rollout of 2023.44.30.2 has also increased too with 942 pending on TeslaFi and nearly a total of 1400 including installed. Teslascope showing most are coming from 2023.44.1, so not just upgrading vehicles already on some 2023.44.30.x.
.3 is starting to rollout as well, with cars coming from .1. Methinks this holiday update has been a bit of a problem for Tesla. I wonder what the issues are to cause such quick fixes?

Methinks this holiday update has been a bit of a problem for Tesla. I wonder what the issues are to cause such quick fixes?
It still seems like iterative additions of capability. TeslaFi is showing the first install of 11.4.9 on a US HW4 2023 Model X with 2023.44.30.3. Previously .2 only included non-US HW4, and .1 didn't even include S/X Refresh. For example, Tesla might have been evaluating high fidelity park assist on HW3 with .1 then HW4 with .2, and now park assist + FSD Beta on HW4 with .3.

Additionally, with .1 and .2 rollout increasing, it would seem like Tesla is okay with those versions going to wider audiences of those compatible vehicles. Still missing are older vehicles without Autopilot or with HW1 (but MCU upgraded).

Last edited:
It still seems like iterative additions of capability. TeslaFi is showing the first install of 11.4.9 on a US HW4 2023 Model X with 2023.44.30.3. Previously .2 only included non-US HW4, and .1 didn't even include S/X Refresh. For example, Tesla might have been evaluating high fidelity park assist on HW3 with .1 then HW4 with .2, and now park assist + FSD Beta on HW4 with .3.

Additionally, with .1 and .2 rollout increasing, it would seem like Tesla is okay with those versions going to wider audiences of those compatible vehicles. Still missing are older vehicles without Autopilot or with HW1 (but MCU upgraded).
Cars getting .3 include cars that already got .1, which tells me that .1 had some priority bugs that needed fixed.

Reactions: DrGriz
When did I say I wasn’t responsible for it?

I said it sucks. Both can be true at the same time.
I do appreciate you sharing the images as we wait but do question why the first test you would do is on a circular curb that most would have trouble with in most cases with or without assistance? As a first release a simple parallel park or straight street might of been a less “complicated” test.