Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
So TeslaFi # * 170 would give an educated average for the server number?
Probably not a very educated estimate. TeslaFi is heavily biased in who uses it of the general Tesla vehicle population, e.g., big difference in China vehicles, so you can't extrapolate from the sample. However, given the TeslaFi audience, Tesla probably isn't biasing releases based on whether a vehicle uses the service, so there's other types of analysis you can do with the numbers.

Currently TeslaFi has .5 available to 10,957 vehicles (pending/installed) and .6 has 2,239, so the total for these latest 11.4.9 is nearly 70% of its fleet.

2023.44.30.6 became available to me today and I installed it this morning on my HW4 2023 Model S. Plaid this afternoon. After one six mile drive using FSD, the only difference in performance that I noticed was the overhead view while I was in reverse. I thought it looked like a fuzzy cloud with colors representing proximity, but it did not seem to be very accurate. I intentionally backed up close to my truck and the image seemed to indicate I was further away than I actually was, but I will have my wife come out and watch to make sure I do not hit something and test this again.

// Begin Venting

I think I am on the naughty list now because I read Tesla the riot act over the fact that they have rescheduled my Track Package install 7 times, in each case, waiting until 1-3 days before the appointment to cancel it. I explained that they should have JIT delivery of the parts down to a science, and each time they cancel my appointment, I have already rescheduled my classes and have to notify students that class will be held face-to-face instead of online. I hate how happy they are to inconvenience me when they know damn well that the parts will not arrive. I asked them to give me a “real” date up front so I can plan (after explaining that I am a professor and my schedule impacts 100 or so of my students; but they ignored my request and repeated the same process, scheduling my new appointment about one month after the old appointment, and then cancelled the new appointment. I have finally wised up and stopped changing my classes and just assumed Tesla will cancel my service appointment for another N times. If, on the off-chance that they actually deliver on a service appointment, I will cancel the appointment and reschedule it for when it is convenient for me. Muskedine’s distain for the customer rolls down to whoever is reading my chat messages.

Oh… and I noticed that Disney Plus is gone from my entertainment screen. Muskedine, after posting a positive reaction to an Anti-Semitic post on Twitter and having Disney cancel their advertising on Twitter, decided to retaliate by screwing his customers. Why in the world would he think that Disney cares at all about whether he offers Disney Plus on his vehicles? Does he think that his customers will blame Disney for this and cancel their subscriptions? Does he think at all? It seems to me that he continually shows distain for his customers, which may stop me from purchasing another Tesla and instead, opt for another electric vehicle. #Muskedine_needs_to_stay_on_his_meds.

// End Venting

Joe

First drive with 11.4.9 (2023.44.30.5.1) today. A fairly short, easy drive, but my overall impressions were positive for this version.

After I had been driving for a while, I realized the car hadn't nagged me once, which is unusual (though I do normally keep one hand on the corner of the yoke). I decided to try to not touch the yoke at all, but to leave my hand hovering near the yoke where the camera could see me. I drove for 5-7 minutes, several miles, through stop lights, stop signs, turns, etc., with only one nag when I looked away from the road for 3 seconds or so.

So for me, it seems like the cameras are being used to monitor my attention much more than the yoke pressure for this version, which I really prefer.

No interventions whatsoever on this short drive also, which was definitely an improvement. This version feels more like the last "stable" version I enjoyed (11.3.6), though I need to drive in more challenging circumstances to confirm.

Update on FSD beta 11.4.9 2023.44.30.5.1 on typical test route.

+First time successfully turned left off rt 1 onto Bayside rd. Northport ME if you want to see the map.

+First time did not move into right hand turn lane when on a straight away with an upcoming right hand turn.

-Very confused at a simple crossroad, unnecessary turn signals and wild yoke whips, had to slam the brakes.

+Managed some stop signs it blew through before.

+/-Generally smooth but some turns were wild.

-Still drives in the middle of unmarked roads—biggest cause of disengagements.

-Still signals too late to be a signal

So better, but I’ll still be leaving it off unless on a highway or I’m in the mood to do some babysitting.

Just took a short drive and noticed two things:
My turn signals are louder, back to what they were a few versions ago and actually audible now.

They various ’pay attention’ notices are at the top of the screen, as expected and are perhaps a bit easier to notice but they are grey text on a white background rather than black on white so it’s not as big a difference as it could be.

I haven’t played with the lock sounds but the default horn honking is much louder than it used to be and a bit obnoxious, IMO

Thanks so much for this. I appreciate details like this because it gives me an idea about what to look for. I appreciate the time you took to write this.

Joe

Update on FSD beta 11.4.9 2023.44.30.5.1 on typical test route.

+First time successfully turned left off rt 1 onto Bayside rd. Northport ME if you want to see the map.

+First time did not move into right hand turn lane when on a straight away with an upcoming right hand turn.

-Very confused at a simple crossroad, unnecessary turn signals and wild yoke whips, had to slam the brakes.

+Managed some stop signs it blew through before.

+/-Generally smooth but some turns were wild.

-Still drives in the middle of unmarked roads—biggest cause of disengagements.

-Still signals too late to be a signal

So better, but I’ll still be leaving it off unless on a highway or I’m in the mood to do some babysitting.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
2023.44.30.6 became available to me today and I installed it this morning on my HW4 2023 Model S. Plaid this afternoon. After one six mile drive using FSD, the only difference in performance that I noticed was the overhead view while I was in reverse. I thought it looked like a fuzzy cloud with colors representing proximity, but it did not seem to be very accurate. I intentionally backed up close to my truck and the image seemed to indicate I was further away than I actually was, but I will have my wife come out and watch to make sure I do not hit something and test this again.

// Begin Venting

I think I am on the naughty list now because I read Tesla the riot act over the fact that they have rescheduled my Track Package install 7 times, in each case, waiting until 1-3 days before the appointment to cancel it. I explained that they should have JIT delivery of the parts down to a science, and each time they cancel my appointment, I have already rescheduled my classes and have to notify students that class will be held face-to-face instead of online. I hate how happy they are to inconvenience me when they know damn well that the parts will not arrive. I asked them to give me a “real” date up front so I can plan (after explaining that I am a professor and my schedule impacts 100 or so of my students; but they ignored my request and repeated the same process, scheduling my new appointment about one month after the old appointment, and then cancelled the new appointment. I have finally wised up and stopped changing my classes and just assumed Tesla will cancel my service appointment for another N times. If, on the off-chance that they actually deliver on a service appointment, I will cancel the appointment and reschedule it for when it is convenient for me. Muskedine’s distain for the customer rolls down to whoever is reading my chat messages.

Oh… and I noticed that Disney Plus is gone from my entertainment screen. Muskedine, after posting a positive reaction to an Anti-Semitic post on Twitter and having Disney cancel their advertising on Twitter, decided to retaliate by screwing his customers. Why in the world would he think that Disney cares at all about whether he offers Disney Plus on his vehicles? Does he think that his customers will blame Disney for this and cancel their subscriptions? Does he think at all? It seems to me that he continually shows distain for his customers, which may stop me from purchasing another Tesla and instead, opt for another electric vehicle. #Muskedine_needs_to_stay_on_his_meds.

// End Venting

Joe
It took those clowns almost 4 months to adjust the frequency settings in my powerwalls to not flicker all the lights and make UPS think they’re not getting clean power. I have followed up with them every month to remind them and they kept feeding me the “higher level support is looking into this”. It’s a known issue, has been addressed many times before, read about it online a ton, so aside from changing the frequency from 65hz to 62.5hz, just like everyone else had done with the same issue, I’m not sure what they were looking into for 4 months.

Tesla must be desperate to "recall" 11.30.1-4 recalls since I just got a surprise Notification on my Apple Watch to install 11.30.5.1 that was download over cellular.

View attachment 1002529
Because Wifi is not available tomorrow.

Yeah, it was back in July when "Maintaining speed for traffic flow" message was first added in 11.4.6, so it's still new for those who have been on 11.4.4 and also get the blue highlighted set speed from 11.4.7.

The release notes for 11.4.9 combine the additions from 11.4.5 and 11.4.8, so those upgrading from 11.4.4 to 11.4.9 see the same notes overall as there were no notes for the others versions (11.4.6, 11.4.7.x).
Thanks for the info. I've come from 11.4.4 so haven't seen this new behavior.

What I'd really like to see now is merging safely into really slow rush hour traffic. Now FSD screams by 10-20mph rush hour traffic wanting to go 50 mph in the zip lane. I have to disengage manually, slow to traffic speed and reengage FSD to merge safely. Happens every time if the zip lane has open space to race ahead. Happened again the first time I used 11.4.9

Does your car not move to the right when it detects a car coming the other direction?
Our car mostly just slams on the brakes when an oncoming car appears on an unmarked road where it drives in the middle. It isn’t as bad as Chuck Cook’s narrow unmarked roads scenario, but the road I’m driving is also a good 4 feet wider than the one he’s driving. But instead of behaving like a human an biasing toward the right curb while continuing to drive a normal speed, FSD Beta likes to slow way down & stay too far in the middle where oncoming drivers feel uncomfortable.