Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD fails to detect children in the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whole Mars Catalog
@WholeMarsBlog

In my initial testing it’s been difficult to get the child sized dummy to read as a child. I guess it needs to be more fully dressed
saw many kids in the wild today and system detected them just fine however
haven’t tried driving into it yet, just visualization first

JFC this is sickening to read. Every sentence is just so wrong both from the flawed perception of the Tesla, to the warped testing methodology of WMC
That's gotta be sarcasm.. laugh about it n move on

That's gotta be sarcasm.. laugh about it n move on
Yeah, I really don't think Whole Mars Catalogue is joking or being sarcastic. I will try and look away - as you suggest. Hopefully this Jackass-style behavior goes away soon. I'm just grateful for now that there aren't any L4/L5 cars for sale out there in North America yet, oh how we will mess with those...

I was only commenting on MobilEye releasing what is basically a prototype self-driving car (the driver is only there to ensure safety). Nothing to do with sensor suite.

Unlike Tesla, which uses unpaid owners, SuperVision has been tested by paid workers until it matured enough for a commercial release to the public last month. Unlike Tesla, which describes Autonomous features, MobilEye has been clear that it's an ADAS.

The release of SuperVision is more like GM Super Cruise that was tested first by GM workers before it was released to the public, not as a prototype but as a finished ADAS with stable AutoSteer that does not require hands-on the steering wheel.

Unlike Tesla, which uses unpaid owners, SuperVision has been tested by paid workers until it matured enough for a commercial release to the public last month. Unlike Tesla, which describes Autonomous features, MobilEye has been clear that it's an ADAS.

The release of SuperVision is more like GM Super Cruise that was tested first by GM workers before it was released to the public, not as a prototype but as a finished ADAS with stable AutoSteer that does not require hands-on the steering wheel.
It's not clear to me that there's much difference in safety between saying "this is a driver assistance system" and "this is a beta of robotaxi software" if the functionality is exactly the same. Also there is no simple correlation between how well the system performs and how safe it is. I think these "door to door" ADAS will get less safe the better they perform until you can eliminate the human entirely.

Reactions: CyberGus
It's not clear to me that there's much difference in safety between saying "this is a driver assistance system" and "this is a beta of robotaxi software" if the functionality is exactly the same. Also there is no simple correlation between how well the system performs and how safe it is. I think these "door to door" ADAS will get less safe the better they perform until you can eliminate the human entirely.

It sounds like you are talking about the safety issues of L2 in general rather than comparing an unfinished L2 prototype Tesla and a consumer-quality L2 product like SuperVision.

It turns out both GM and Zeekr are using MobilEye products.

GM does not specifically use "SuperVision," but it has been using MobilEye for its Super Cruise since 2017 and in the future Ultra Cruise.

It sounds like you are talking about the safety issues of L2 in general rather than comparing an unfinished L2 prototype Tesla and a consumer-quality L2 product like SuperVision.

It turns out both GM and Zeekr are using MobilEye products.

GM does not specifically use "SuperVision," but it has been using MobilEye for its Super Cruise since 2017 and in the future Ultra Cruise.
Yes, I'm talking about what I think is the primary safety risk with these systems, automation complacency.

another thing everyone forgets is how many Teslas vs Competition with FSD like software is on the road
its apples to oranges until we compare equal amount of "miles driven on autopilot" for every Software/Hardware
right now its all kinda biased cause Tesla has the most EVs on the road
im sure with 3 million cars from MobileEye there will be few glitches here n there :)

MobilEye seems to have changed their mind, their new "SuperVision" system sounds like it's basically the same as FSD beta. I guess the difference between 2016 and now is the better driver monitoring.

Waymo is the one that doesn't believe in partial automation that still relies on humans.

On the other hand, MobilEye started as an ADAS supplier that wants to evolve to L5 eventually.

When I bought my Tesla in 2012, some Tesla owners also installed the add-on MobilEye lane departure alarm.

FMXMRYoWYAI6F1J

Waymo is the one that doesn't believe in partial automation that still relies on humans.

On the other hand, MobilEye started as an ADAS supplier that wants to evolve to L5 eventually.

“It is not designed to cover all possible crash situations in a safe manner,” Amnon Shashua, who is also chief technology officer at the Israel-based maker of collision detection and driver assistance systems, told Reuters.
“No matter how you spin it, (Autopilot) is not designed for that. It is a driver assistance system and not a driverless system,” he said in an interview.

Will Supervision cover all possible crash situations in a safe manner? They literally say Supervision is "derived from AV development", it's their beta robotaxi software sold to consumers just like FSD beta.

“It is not designed to cover all possible crash situations in a safe manner,” Amnon Shashua, who is also chief technology officer at the Israel-based maker of collision detection and driver assistance systems, told Reuters.
“No matter how you spin it, (Autopilot) is not designed for that. It is a driver assistance system and not a driverless system,” he said in an interview.

Will Supervision cover all possible crash situations in a safe manner? They literally say Supervision is "derived from AV development", it's their beta robotaxi software sold to consumers just like FSD beta.

MobileEye never liked the way Tesla explained Autopilot with a futuristic feature that MobilEye components in Tela AP1 hardware could not deliver: Your parking Tesla in your garage would come to greet you at the curb. That's why it broke off with Tesla.

When MobilEye describes its products, it accurately describes the expected capability.

SuperVision is a good L2 capacity expected to have fewer problems than Tesla has now (deaths and customer complaints).

To make SuperVision an L4, it has already added LIDAR to its testing fleet. In the future, it might use the next generation of radar--4D radar.

Tesla is the reverse of MobilEye: Instead of adding better hardware (LIDAR, 4D radar...), Tesla deletes existing hardware.

That doesn't read like a FSD Beta accident. That reads like a "standard" autopilot accident.
It's sad, but not what I'd call "Tesla murdering a child". It's a tragic combination of human error more than anything else; the driver was driving too fast for the conditions and not paying enough attention. the car that was hit pulled out of their lane in front of the speeding Tesla probably going at a low speed and couldn't move out of the way in time, and the teen that was killed was not wearing a seat belt, and was ejected from the vehicle. I know this freeway, and it's one I avoid whenever possible, because it's the truck route through parts of town with crazy drivers.

The Tesla tried to stop, but was not able to do it in time. But since Tesla has lots of money, they get sued whether it's their fault or not.

This whole thread is kind of stupid, as it's obviously a lot of bias both ways, and the original article was written by an idiot who hates Tesla for personal reasons, and so of course any results from them will be biased also, and contrived, with no analysis of what it means or how it compares to a human driver in a non-Tesla. But there's really no way to test this except by long-term statistics, most likely.

Reactions: JHCCAZ