Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I gotta warn you, all the "skeptics" will be moving the goal posts at an alarming rate over the next few days|weeks|months.

Brace thyself!

@Knightshade @daniel -- bet you guys glad you chickened out of the bets.
I really wish someone would have taken at least one of the bets.

What in the world are you talking about? They've added some features but still have not moved beyond Level 2. I'll buy it when it is Level 3 throughout my local geographical region.

There's no way this car can operate safely on the northern half of South Kihei Rd. Narrow road, no shoulder in places, one lane in each direction, pedestrians and cyclists right on the line, and often cars approaching from the other direction have to swerve toward the center of the road to avoid cyclists, forcing you to swerve to the outside. Not a big deal for an attentive human driver.

Wake me when it's Level 3. And claim you'd have won your bet when it's Level 4.

(Oh, sorry: You never offered to bet that they'd achieve Level 4. You just bet they would not upgrade the sensors. If they don't upgrade the sensors and never achieve Level 4 you win your bet. You're right: I'm glad I didn't take that bet.)

What in the world are you talking about? They've added some features but still have not moved beyond Level 2. I'll buy it when it is Level 3 throughout my local geographical region.

There's no way this car can operate safely on the northern half of South Kihei Rd. Narrow road, no shoulder in places, one lane in each direction, pedestrians and cyclists right on the line, and often cars approaching from the other direction have to swerve toward the center of the road to avoid cyclists, forcing you to swerve to the outside. Not a big deal for an attentive human driver.

Wake me when it's Level 3. And claim you'd have won your bet when it's Level 4.

(Oh, sorry: You never offered to bet that they'd achieve Level 4. You just bet they would not upgrade the sensors. If they don't upgrade the sensors and never achieve Level 4 you win your bet. You're right: I'm glad I didn't take that bet.)
You keep making up your own bets. It's alright to #chicketout !
No hard feelings.

I'll take my chances here and say that the 200ft limit is still there because as far as I can tell, it's a phone app limitation, not a car thing.
I doubt they'd make such incremental and soon to be wasted change to the phone app when that's not even a small fraction of the show.

I'm sure we'll know for sure sooner rather than later, though!

How could it be a phone app limitation? More likely a liability limitation, as in trying to protect us, as there would be some people trying to bring it over without direct line of sight causing an accident. Or a regulatory limitation?

How could it be a phone app limitation? More likely a liability limitation, as in trying to protect us, as there would be some people trying to bring it over without direct line of sight causing an accident. Or a regulatory limitation?
I'm not getting into the regulation grounds. Software is (should be lol) designed to operate within the law, and I think the limitation is set on the phone itself based on it's own GPS. I read about a hacker that was able to move any car in the world, he filed a bug with all the steps and was rewarded $50K. This in itself proves that the car has no location checks, it's only accepting requests through the internet.

How are you so confident it was going to hit it? Kurok68 said:

"And the Tesla system already nearly rear-ended a parked car."

Did it now? We have no evidence it was going to, just a cautious driver who took over before finding out.

I'm just trying to tamp down the doom and gloom of some posters.

YES, of course it is beta and not to be trusted. We too can read and understand the caveats. I don't think anyone on these forums needs constant nagging that it is a beta system that can make mistakes. WE KNOW THAT.

In this specific instance after the round about, Brandon tweeted that it just went a little wide and he only disengaged because his passenger was freaking out.

In general, do I expect some mistakes where it potentially hits and object? Yes in the near term. Also why driver needs to really pay attention during this transition.

• Love
Reactions: Pdkj and mikes_fsd
In this specific instance after the round about, Brandon tweeted that it just went a little wide and he only disengaged because his passenger was freaking out.

In general, do I expect some mistakes where it potentially hits and object? Yes in the near term. Also why driver needs to really pay attention during this transition.
For easy reference:
upload_2020-10-22_11-39-35.png

I'm not getting into the regulation grounds. Software is (should be lol) designed to operate within the law, and I think the limitation is set on the phone itself based on it's own GPS. I read about a hacker that was able to move any car in the world, he filed a bug with all the steps and was rewarded $50K. This in itself proves that the car has no location checks, it's only accepting requests through the internet.

Oh yeah agree, I’m just not understanding how setting gps through the phone would limit distance. You could be 500 ft away and the phone should behave the same in regards to gps placement. I feel like it’s more an arbitrary limit set by Tesla to keep people somewhat in check for a pretty beta feature that’s not super reliable.

Reactions: brkaus
So very excited. I'm still shocked they're doing turns with it at this point.

Do we know if Pseudo-LIDAR is in use in this build? Tesla Raj's video showed footage of the car picking up a pedestrian walking around the car. I noticed the bounding box kept jumping distance from the car as they walked around, presumably, switching from camera to camera. I wonder what's up with that.
I saw that also!
Not sure, but this is definitely supposed to be the stitched birds-eye-view.
Maybe the pedestrian detection NN needs some tuning?

I am curious to see this on tested out on my car.

Oh yeah agree, I’m just not understanding how setting gps through the phone would limit distance. You could be 500 ft away and the phone should behave the same in regards to gps placement. I feel like it’s more an arbitrary limit set by Tesla to keep people somewhat in check for a pretty beta feature that’s not super reliable.
I think we're talking about the same thing, just from 2 different perspectives then lol
Yeah, absolutely, Tesla wants you to be close to your car for the summon. If you spoof your phone's GPS, though, it should work.

I work in a company with a very stretchy parking lot. I just happened to park far away today. I might test it at the end of the day to see what happens. Summon and Smart Summon.

Actually, I've tested Smart Summon from beyond the highlighted radius, it's a no-no. Never tried FW Summon. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: NHK X
2-4 months? I thought they said 3 months probably, 6 months definetly, when did they change plans?
Elon Musk on the earnings call yesterday. "“We put it out there last night, and then we’ll see how it goes, and then probably release it to more people this weekend or early next week. Then gradually step it up until we hopefully have a wide release by the end of this year.”

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Folks, I gotta warn you, all the "skeptics" will be moving the goal posts at an alarming rate over the next few days|weeks|months.
The goal post has always been safer than human operation without supervision. Will be interesting to see how close Tesla is when this is released!
The reason I remain skeptical is that many other companies have discovered it's pretty easy to make a car drive 100 miles without interventions. Making one that can go 500k+ miles between accidents is very hard.
I do admit that this is way cooler than Smart Summon and certain to be the viral feature ever. I still wouldn't pay for it (I'll take a ride in my friend's car). Hopefully everyone who uses it will monitor it like a hawk or it's not going to last long.

Reactions: DanCar