Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My estimate / guestimate is three years. What is your estimate / guestimate for no accidents on average every 150K miles?

It's almost pointless trying to estimate/guess such a thing. Tesla themselves probably dont know, since this is new ground for everyone. However, software/AI systems like this tend to increase in reliability asymptotically, with rapid early progress that tails off as major problems are solved leaving only the edge-cases that may be much harder to solve. Right now I would say we are at the start of that curve and will make fast progress, if the beta videos are anything to go by.

The basic question, then, is how far along that curve do we need to be to meet and then beat the average human driver? My guess, given the poor quality of the "average" driver, is not very far. If that is the case, we may (repeat, *may*) see FSD exceeding average human performance in as little as 6-12 months. Technically, the issue has been: can the AI system create an accurate enough representation of the situation around the car for it to make safe and effective driving decisions? Many of the bets/posts on this forum (and others) have been skeptical (and I confess to some of that myself), but Tesla seem very close to cracking the vision issues necessary.

Sure, the car will probably remain stumped by some things, like complex road diversions, or missing road markings. But if it disengages and/or stops safely then I think FSD will be shown to be safe sooner rather than later.

Remember that agencies like the NHTSA are primarily interested in safety, not accuracy. They dont really care if the car goes round and round in circles, takes wrong turns, or just sulks in a parking spot .. it just has to do these things safely. It should also be remembered that right now, the car is probably better than humans at some things. I bet it's reaction time to stop for a pedestrian that runs into the road is far better than a humans.

This means that, while the car may lag behind humans in some intricate situations, its ability to just drive reliably mile after mile may allow it to beat out a human on average sooner rather than later. This is why so many posts here that focus on "the car wont be able to do X special case" miss the point .. the point is, can the car do better at things humans are bad at? And we are bad at stuff like running red lights, or forgetting to look both ways at a stop, or not seeing a car in our blind spots. Precisely the things that cause the majority of accidents, and precisely the things the car is going to be very very good at very soon now.

Last edited:
Tesla has been intentionally encrypting and obfuscating their software in increasing degrees so I think it would require an insider to really compare their neural network approach to Mobileye or any other competitor. I don't think that they're still labeling all their secrets and methods in plaintext for verygreen to tweet about. For all we know the hydranet could have been replaced with plaidnet, or rainbows_and_unicorns_net at this point without changing the name in a way we can see.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Ahhh... but WHEN can we get regulatory approve to remove side mirror and use cameras and the display; additionally replace the rear view mirror with a display display instead of say one that switches between. Or just remove it as well since it’s also on the display. BTW cameras are capable of offering a better view than just mirrors themselves.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Now I am completely against a wide release or substantially increasing the testing size… It needs to be kept small to avoid the whole regulatory crack down
It does seem quite likely Tesla's "private beta" terminology is quite intentional to avoid NHTSA scrutiny of a wide release even as a "Level 2" driver assistance feature. Unclear how far Tesla is allowed to push that boundary of how many "private" testers is too many for NHTSA then to investigate if it's putting the driver and more importantly others on the road at risk. From Elon's tweets, it looks like at least Tesla is tracking "intervention probability" before a wide release "dependent on proving high safety," so if early access testers are how they're collecting data to prove high safety, will Tesla be limited by the number of testers and will they need to cycle people through the program to get more variety of miles? And what's the thresholds anyway…

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yea you are right. Nobody in the car for summon. Maybe they stopped working on it for now because of that.

I think it's mostly development bandwidth .. once FSD is stable they will rework both Smart Summon and NoA to use the new vision stack and thus seamlessly integrate with City Streets (in fact, City Streets and NoA will become one feature at that point, from a technical standpoint).

Reactions: powertoold
Show me the FSD BETA !

76C344C5-2C02-4EE5-AA9F-73FA1F272494.jpeg

Nothing specific, just avoiding accidents except for every 150K miles. Wife had an accident running into a black curb on a black street at night. I've seen stop signs that are mostly occluded. What happens when teenagers prank tesla with adversarial attacks? Put some tiny white tape on a stop sign? Many interesting scenarios. What happens when a toddler runs into a street from a park chasing a ball? Most people would be on guard. What if there are bushes mostly occluding the view of toddler entering the roadway?

Not much a difference whether or not you have FSD enabled in these situations. If you have FSD on and a toddler jumps out of the bushes, if you are paying attention you still have the same amount of time to react whether or not FSD is on.

Please don’t. We use English to share data. Using your own personal definitions isn’t helpful.

I think your view can be said as
“Something I can use is more helpful than something I can’t”.

valid viewpoint, if I summarized it right, but it’s not about technology, advanced or simple. It’s simply what you have access to at the moment.
Wrong. Please study your incorrect interpretation of English. Availability is definitely part of technology. As I already stated, if it is not available it is about as technology advanced as a rock. There are reasons Waymo only has 4 cars shuttling people around in a very small geographical region. Those decisions are part the technology. When Waymo expands next, will they have 8 cars running in a new location? Do we care about so few very expensive cars? Doesn't compare to a technology that in my estimation will be available to a much wider audience. And a big part of the reason is technology. The reason isn't because it is oh no just not available at the moment, it is a continual problem with foundational issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: WattPwr
Has anyone noticed if the group of testers has started to grow?

I haven't personally noticed much change of it, and maybe Tesla is perfectly happy with the size of the current group for now.

What I hope to see is more geographical areas covered within the US. Like I haven't seen any representation yet in WA state.

Now I am completely against a wide release or substantially increasing the testing size which I don't believe you were either. It needs to be kept small to avoid the whole regulatory crack down, and bad press. But, needs to be big enough to generate useful data.

Plus it needs to get bigger so it seems like less of a marketing stunt, and more of something that's actually going to be released within a reasonable time frame (less than a year).

If they are going to actively geofence it then it does seem a bit plausible. Hopefully someone will try Lombard street again to see if it allows it to be activated.
If they significantly increase the number of FSD beta testers, I doubt many (if any) of them will be public. There are enough videos being regularly posted to generate positive buzz on improvements. But at some point as the edge cases per tester decline, the number of NDA testers must increase. Perhaps proportionally.

Doing this would give Tesla the best of all worlds: Additional data and videos showing an improving product. I also believe they have (or will have) NDA testers spread all over the place.

There is so much at stake. I think Tesla's goal is reaching the leveling-off point near the top of the S-curve before blasting FSD out to everyone. Doubtful that is by EOY.

If they significantly increase the number of FSD beta testers, I doubt many (if any) of them will be public. There are enough videos being regularly posted to generate positive buzz on improvements. But at some point as the edge cases per tester decline, the number of NDA testers must increase. Perhaps proportionally.

Doing this would give Tesla the best of all worlds: Additional data and videos showing an improving product. I also believe they have (or will have) NDA testers spread all over the place.

There is so much at stake. I think Tesla's goal is reaching the leveling-off point near the top of the S-curve before blasting FSD out to everyone. Doubtful that is by EOY.

Not going to happen any time soon. FSD beta will be less than 40 cars for the next ~18 mos.

Not going to happen any time soon. FSD beta will be less than 40 cars for the next ~18 mos.

That probably already isn't true already. There are ~20 people with the FSD beta not covered by a NDA. There are surely at least that many covered by a NDA, and then there are the Tesla employees testing FSD. We have no idea how many cars are participating in the beta. My guess is that it is in the hundreds, if not thousands. (Unlikely to be thousands at this point.)

I imagine it will look like this.

The rate of improvement starts off fast but then slows down as you get closer to 100%.

3qmp6ON.png
Just want to add that there are some things that accelerate. The number of miles driven per day autonomously will grow exponentially with the reliability, the amount of data will grow exponentially with that, the amount of money available for research and development will grow exponentially with it also etc. So expect some diminishing returns and some accelerated returns making it very complex and hard to predict.

I could imagine this tying into Tesla Insurance in a funny way. At first FSD will be safer than some drivers, but some good drivers will be safer than FSD. They could programmatically rate your driving ability, and if you're noticeably worse than the computer, an offer could pop up on the screen "Hey, you're not driving so well today. I'll give you a $5 discount off your insurance premium this month if you let me take over."

Many a true thing said in jest.....

Since Tesla need to PROOVE that FSD is safer than human by a decent margin, you could easily see discounts applied the more miles you have FSD engaged.

Slightly difficult for Tesla, might need to distinguish between highway and city performance of FSD. Millions of freeway miles without disengagements doesn't represent city performance and kinda annoying to have to focus specifically on humans still being safer around town.

I've lost track of what disengagements get reported. Are they already catagorized?

@ElonMusk: We measure this primarily in intervention probability. This update addressed several issues, resulting in perhaps ~1/3 fewer interventions. Many of the improvements consist of fixing silly bugs vs grand eureka moments. True for most beta releases in my experience.

How fast do you think you will be rolling out updates for FSD beta?
@ElonMusk: Every 5 to 10 days

Scary stuff.

Once it gets down to 1 intervention a month how much attention do you think the crash test dummies, I mean beta testers will pay? One of them is going straight into the back of a truck at 70 MPH.

And updates every week? So they get used to it safely navigating a section of road, stop paying attention at that point and then one day the updated code decides to drive into oncoming traffic. Better hope it's not you coming the other way.

But highly likely to be first. Again, not “most advanced” or better than all the other FSD systems FOR NOW, but we shall see what the future holds.

True. I agree Tesla will likely be first at a widely deployed FSD. The question is how advanced will it be. IMO, it is less impressive to deploy FSD wide that requires driver interventions every 50 miles than a wide deployment of FSD that is true driverless for example. For me personally, I am more impressed with limited deployment of driverless FSD than I am of wide deployment of FSD that requires constant driver supervision. For me, driverless FSD is the true prize, not how many cars you put FSD on.

Reactions: P3dStealth
Ahhh... but WHEN can we get regulatory approve to remove side mirror and use cameras and the display; additionally replace the rear view mirror with a display display instead of say one that switches between. Or just remove it as well since it’s also on the display. BTW cameras are capable of offering a better view than just mirrors themselves.

They are deep questions.

Do you not already have electronic mirrors? There are several / many implementations from various manufacturers in Europe.

Remember 'your entertainment system failing (MCU1) not a safety issue' except if it effects demisting, wiper control, light control, backup camera etc etc?

Personally I think there is a good case for retaining old fashioned reflective mirrors for as long as there could be a human driver. The rear view mirrors with integrated monitor that I have seen do have some advantages, but also drawbacks that on balance leave the old fashioned mirror with plenty of value.

Of course no harm at all adding birds eye and other cool display / camera features, but with cameras still prone to problems like b-pillar cam condensation, I don't want to drive a car that relies on them.

Reactions: P3dStealth