Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you point to the NHTSA?

The recall didn't implement that for v11 in my cars. Did it for others?

NHTSA specifically pointed out running yellows as a "problem"

“The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver’s adjustment of the vehicle’s speed to exceed posted speed limits.”

NHTSA specifically pointed out running yellows as a "problem"

“The FSD Beta system may allow the vehicle to act unsafe around intersections, such as traveling straight through an intersection while in a turn-only lane, entering a stop sign-controlled intersection without coming to a complete stop, or proceeding into an intersection during a steady yellow traffic signal without due caution. In addition, the system may respond insufficiently to changes in posted speed limits or not adequately account for the driver’s adjustment of the vehicle’s speed to exceed posted speed limits.”
But I didn't have any change with the recall nor have I observed anyone else say they've seen the change. Have you?

If it's not in V11, which satisfied the recall, that wouldn't be the reason in V12. It could just not know what to do....unless you've seen a change in V11 or have seen others report it.

But I didn't have any change with the recall nor have seen anyone else say they've seen the change. Have you?

If it's not in V11, which satisfied the recall, that wouldn't be the reason in V12. It could just not know what to do....unless you've seen a change in V11 or have seen others report it.

I haven't really, but again, NHTSA is on Tesla's tail for running yellows, and the recall specifically points it out, so I'm thinking Tesla is erring on stopping for yellows for V12. There's no other logical reason to train it to stop for yellows like that video above, it's not natural human behavior

I haven't really, but again, NHTSA is on Tesla's tail for running yellows, and the recall specifically points it out, so I'm thinking Tesla is erring on stopping for yellows for V12. There's no other logical reason to train it to stop for yellows like that video above
If much of their data is people stopping or slowing for yellows, it will do the same. it's not illegal to enter an intersection on Yellow and the NHTSA didn't say it was, just that it did it without due caution.

Since V12 is video in and controls out, where video is a constant bitrate regardless of environment or complexity
Overall yes in terms of the amount of "thinking" compute for 12.x is probably the same for every single frame no matter whether it's a simple or complex scenario. This is nice in some aspects in that neural networks can be optimized for size and performance to fit the compute budget as opposed to traditional code that might have variable compute requirements if there's logic for checking each lane or vehicle or even worse conditional expensive computation such as picking out certain number of other vehicles to do subsequent neural network behavior predictions.

This can be bad in situations that do want "more thinking" where for large language models, some people have gotten around this by asking "think step by step" and each additional output word is effectively more time to think. There's also research to more directly take on this general problem of thinking fast and thinking slow. If V12 does reach compute bottlenecks and quality still isn't good enough, this type of different thinking architecture could be used to continue progress.

Reactions: powertoold
stops suddenly to pull over and triggers AEB.
Just an FCW. No braking! Wasn’t clear whether a collision was actually possible with the trajectory at the time (often it is not). Does not seem so since it kept turning in, to make the clearance even tighter. But not sure why it didn’t swing wide like a normal person. Why didn’t the training cover this? 😂

IMG_0177.jpeg

When someone is crossing from right to left, the car waits until they get all they way to the left curb instead of creeping forward after they have cleared the lane ahead. That doesn't seem to be very human-like.
It may not be very human-like, but it is the law in some places. (I think here in Oregon the pedestrian has to be at least a full lane past you before you are allowed to start moving again. So if it is a two lane road that means that the pedestrian has to complete their crossing before you can go.)

Numerous issues in this video. Excessive hesitation at stop sign intersections requiring accelerator presses. Seems to be a big issue at stop signs on a hill and where there are occlusions. But, sometimes for no apparent reason at all. Sometimes it seems to wait too long for pedestrians to clear the intersection. When someone is crossing from right to left, the car waits until they get all they way to the left curb instead of creeping forward after they have cleared the lane ahead. That doesn't seem to be very human-like.

Also, a dangerous passing of a car pulled half way into the lane that was attempting to pull out of a parking space. The safe thing would have been to stop to let the other car out.

And a case where a left turning lead car stops suddenly to pull over and triggers AEB. Surprisingly, no disconnect, but a close call.
The negatives were relatively minor and easily fixed. Did you miss all the amazing positives?

The negatives were relatively minor and easily fixed. Did you miss all the amazing positives?

I think the hesitations at stops are a combination of NHTSA 0mph and also taking into account training examples of other cars running stop signs, so V12 is also checking for cross traffic when it proceeds at stop signs (my speculation).

Plus, for an initial release, I love seeing caution and freezing, I'd much rather see 100 slow starts than 1 scary unlawful and/or dangerous maneuver

The problem is the goal is a useful L2 driver assist which does not increase risk of collision. It’s a high bar.

It looks smoother in some ways but fairly clear the comprehension of complicated scenarios just is not going to cut it for L2 in this area. (For a specific example, setting off a FCW which was entirely predictable (to a human), and unnecessarily getting to within a couple feet of a vehicle that could suddenly back up, is not going to work for passengers.)

Long way to go. It’s not about missing the positives - it is probably better in a number of ways - it’s about realizing this is an incremental small change to the system with incremental improvements.

Just an FCW. No braking! Wasn’t clear whether a collision was actually possible with the trajectory at the time (often it is not). Does not seem so since it kept turning in, to make the clearance even tighter. But not sure why it didn’t swing wide like a normal person. Why didn’t the training cover this? 😂

View attachment 1011852
It may have been following the lead car, but the lead car turned sharply to grab a parking place.

No. I saw lot's of good stuff. But, I've seen a bunch of Whole Mars videos on V12 that show wonderfulness now. I'm more interested in seeing where the flaws are in anticipation of getting V12 someday (maybe soon?).

As far as the flaws being 'easily fixed', some of these are flaws in V11 that haven't been so easily fixed. And fixing things with E2E may not be so easy, since, as far as I know, it requires curating a bunch of videos showing better performance in this area without worsening performance in other areas. And these are so obvious problems, that you might think that the V12 team would have fixed them before now. Excessive hesitation at stop signs is a long standing problem. If the car can't decide to proceed through an empty intersection, how is it going to handle a high speed ULT? I wish Tesla would push this out to Chuck Cook so I can see how it's going to work on the kinds of roads that I drive.

Unfortunately, almost all of Whole Mars videos are below 30 mph through downtown. I've only seen one brief excursion on a limited access road so far and nothing on suburban high speed secondary roads. Hopefully he'll film a trip to LA soon, or something besides repeated driving in downtown SF.

• Love
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
No. I saw lot's of good stuff. But, I've seen a bunch of Whole Mars videos on V12 that show wonderfulness now. I'm more interested in seeing where the flaws are in anticipation of getting V12 someday (maybe soon?).

As far as the flaws being 'easily fixed', some of these are flaws in V11 that haven't been so easily fixed. And fixing things with E2E may not be so easy, since, as far as I know, it requires curating a bunch of videos showing better performance in this area without worsening performance in other areas. And these are so obvious problems, that you might think that the V12 team would have fixed them before now. Excessive hesitation at stop signs is a long standing problem. If the car can't decide to proceed through an empty intersection, how is it going to handle a high speed ULT? I wish Tesla would push this out to Chuck Cook so I can see how it's going to work on the kinds of roads that I drive.

Unfortunately, almost all of Whole Mars videos are below 30 mph through downtown. I've only seen one brief excursion on a limited access road so far and nothing on suburban high speed secondary roads. Hopefully he'll film a trip to LA soon, or something besides repeated driving in downtown SF.
FSD has been full of flaws that should be easily fixed yet stubbornly remain. Among the most glaring of these is its inability to stay in a lane and go straight without veering into random turn lanes.

This was Musk on it in December:

It is already on a lot of cars, but, given that is a completely new architecture, we are doing extra testing. It works very well in California, but needs more training for heavy precipitation areas.

Edit: Also confirms the overfitting for California, at least initially.

Interestingly, this morning on the way to work in fairly heavy rain FSD also limited me to 60mph. Scrolling up the speed had no effect and popped up a warning about the speed being limited. I was stuck with a max of 60 for probably 15-20 minutes until the rain lightened up and it automatically went back up. I'm on 2023.44.30.8 - 11.4.9. Anybody else seen this before?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Interestingly, this morning on the way to work in fairly heavy rain FSD also limited me to 60mph. Scrolling up the speed had no effect and popped up a warning about the speed being limited. I was stuck with a max of 60 for probably 15-20 minutes until the rain lightened up and it automatically went back up. I'm on 2023.44.30.8 - 11.4.9. Anybody else seen this before?
It's been doing this for a while since 11.4.7. Sometimes, when it misjudges the weather, it can be really annoying.

From Q4 Earnings Call

Elon: "V12 is a complete architectural rewrite compared to prior versions, end-to-end artificial intelligence, so nothing but nets basically, photons in and controls out."

Elon: "We will be rolling out V12 to all customers in the US who request FSD in the weeks to come, that's over 400,000 vehicles in North America"