Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following you on this. Are we saying Waymo works during a torrential downpour?
Think there will be cases where any automation won’t work, autos, humanoids, robots, etc
Gotta like good old humans, we are fully weatherproof all the way to a weather death threat. 🙏
A car with Waymo-level capabilities would either continue working or degrade gracefully (go into safe mode, pull over, and temporarily stop) during a torrential downpour. A Tesla tends to panic and fail abruptly. Clearly no car can drive in a Cat 5 hurricane. The difference is 99.99% uptime vs 95% uptime, and the manner in which the car handles the extreme conditions when encountered. For Robotaxi, the car will have to fail gracefully enough that it can safely pull itself over and stop. Red flashing "System Error: Take Control Immediately" is not an option.

A car with Waymo-level capabilities would either continue working or degrade gracefully (go into safe mode, pull over, and temporarily stop) during a torrential downpour. A Tesla tends to panic and fail abruptly. Clearly no car can drive in a Cat 5 hurricane. The difference is 99.99% uptime vs 95% uptime, and the manner in which the car handles the extreme conditions when encountered. For Robotaxi, the car will have to fail gracefully enough that it can safely pull itself over and stop. Red flashing "System Error: Take Control Immediately" is not an option.
A drop from 99.99% to 95% uptime as a result of heavy precipitation implies extremely heavy rainfall occurs nearly 5% of the time—over 430 hours a year.

Such rainfall events in reality occur more along the order of 0.1% of the time or less. The overwhelming majority of those cases are under intense cumulonimbus cells and are therefore fleeting. Most last on the order of around 10 minutes.

If an autonomous car has to pull over during an extremely heavy precipitation event (as many humans do), it would have almost no impact on robotaxi uptime. How many people are going to demand to load or unload a robotaxi during such events, or are unwilling to pull over to the side of the road for the ten or 15 minutes to wait to let it pass?

Further, just because you get red hands of death on the current system doesn’t mean a RT-ready version of the software would immediately give up and quit. That’s just the way it’s currently programmed.

AI can already detect cancer cells in medical imagery before oncologists can. There are many documented cases of this. There’s no reason to believe a camera-based system can’t handle the task of pulling over as an extreme rainfall event begins.

Many humans are able to and do pull to the side of the highway and park during extreme rainfall events. The remaining ones engage their hazards and drive slowly. It’s just not a major concern.

This reminds me of all the concerns and hand-wringing people had about mud caking the cameras and rending the FSD system inoperable. My second Tesla was one of the first AP1 vehicles (Oct 2014 build Model S). Ever since that time I have never seen a single issue reported where someone’s AP or FSD system has failed as a result of mud caking the lenses.

Much like range anxiety, these are issues manufactured by the human mind that are inflated to be a larger concern than they actually deserve to be.

I have to press and hold the turn signal button to force it to lane change, otherwise it turns off the signal and ignores my request. Not sure how you would do it in a vehicle with a stalk.
Well, if it turned off the signal when it doesn't "want" to make the lane change, that would be a bit better...but it doesn't. I've counted 13 seconds after turning on the signal that it just sat there without initiating the change. With the signal on the entire time.

But I have not tried just keeping the button mashed down yet, so if that works then at least there's a workaround.

Are you going to trust actually smart summon enough to use it for everyday things when it releases?

I can count on one hand how many times I've used Autopark prior to v12.3.6. But since the vision update with the ability to tap on a space, I've used it at every single opportunity, because it works so well now.

Actually smart summon might surprise us in a similar way.

just did 1,100 mile trip FSD(Sup) I liked it wife not so much, had to remove FSD(S) from her profile.
phantom speed limit signs, got at least 6 "why are you slowing?" I have it on "Chill"
did make driving in heavy stop & go traffic on Interstate highway much less stressful

(73 mph to stop then speed then stop for 100 miles, Richmond Virginia USA to Washington DC beltway clockwise)
lots of Red then Blue then red)

just did 1,100 mile trip FSD(Sup) I liked it wife not so much, had to remove FSD(S) from her profile.
phantom speed limit signs, got at least 6 "why are you slowing?" I have it on "Chill"
did make driving in heavy stop & go traffic on Interstate highway much less stressful

(73 mph to stop then speed then stop for 100 miles, Richmond Virginia USA to Washington DC beltway clockwise)
What did she not like?

"Phantom speed limit signs" seem to be caused by FSD reading signs with numbers where the first two digits end with a 5 or a 0 as speed limit signs. I encounter them often on US 15 and US 209, as well in other random places. Very annoying and potentially dangerous. Maybe someone at Tesla is aware of the problem?

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot and rlsd
12.3.6 has been so much better on my daily drive. It makes the correct lane choice much earlier than before. It's also stopped slamming on the brakes if the light turns amber. As previously posted most of my interventions now are when I feel I don't want to inconvenience other drivers on the road with slow stops or slow driving. My kids ask me to put on FSD every drive and my wife only complains 50% of the time ( big improvement )

I can count on one hand how many times I've used Autopark prior to v12.3.6. But since the vision update with the ability to tap on a space, I've used it at every single opportunity, because it works so well now.

Actually smart summon might surprise us in a similar way.
On a similar note, my son-in-law who hates driving - makes him too nervous, said he'd be willing to pay for a monthly subscription just for the parking ability.

What did she not like?
the steering wheel "shudders" when it's doing stuff to alert you
FSD(S) wants to move to other lanes when you want to be in one lane (why are we changing lanes?)
speed limit is 70 on Interstate and FSD "sees" something that says "45" so it slows for no discernable reason. (why are we slowing for no reason?)

when had 12.3.4 it seemed to want to turn left into oncoming instead of crossing median and then turning left correctly
I think she needs more experience but perhaps I trust FSD(S) too much
(We now have 12.3.6)
hope this helps

wife needs more convincing it seems.

(perhaps getting rear ended, car destroyed, at 5pm April 13th, 2018 stopped at first stop light in 90 miles has sensitized her to how much wrecks physically hurt aged bodies)

the FSD(S) 12.3.6 made the "trip from hell" Richmond, Virginia, USA to Washington DC beltway, Springfield interchange <= (they started working on this around when I graduated highschool 57 years ago and finally finished a few years ago)

then clockwise through construction across the American Legion major bridge with lanes disappearing and wandering very nice, not pleasant but way less stress. perhaps 100 miles or so roughly. (they keep on working/widening on amer legion bridge over the years)

It was a combo of FSD(S) and me relaxed but alert in extremely heavy traffic, speeds varying for 70mph (speed limit) to stop & go.
(plus vehicles slaloming at much higher rates including a few shoulder runners

some commuters do that every day (portions)

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I would say a little OT but so is most post in this thread. 🤔 🤣 It is just a funny going past your a$$ to get to your elbow. Some crazy Navigation. Guess it is practicing Robotaxi charging (not EV charging since Tesla's not doing that anymore:eek::mad:) by the mile or time to pad our App account. Anyone download the Robotaxi App and using it yet?🤣🤣🤣

IMG_4943.jpeg

I know two persons were offered free FSD trials last month. One turned it on but occasionally used. The other one completely ignored for fear of accident.

Another guy asked me how FSD works and wanted me to show him. When he got into my car I asked him where he wanted to go. He said just go around the parking lot. I was shocked to hear that.
I told him the parking lot had no map and FSD must have a destination to go. He chose a destination about 3/4 miles away.
When the car was going out of the parking lot and stopped at the stop sign, he was surprised that the car could recognize the stop sign.

When the car went on the street and made turns and changed lanes, I heard a lot of good compliments from him. On the way back he didn't want me to use FSD. Not sure whether he was still scared of FSD or he wanted to know how the car was manually driven.

Somehow Tesla needs to make people feel confident to use FSD. Just telling people FSD can take people from point A to point B is not convincing enough.

Asking people to go through all the settings to use FSD may scare people away.

I know many people use iPhones because they are easy to use. They can easily photo drop, face time, send messages, emoticons, take and edit pictures,... They learn those skills via friends, not from reading Apple manuals.

Tesla needs to win this psychological battle.

Last edited:
Today on a 90-minute trip from Pomfret, RI (Vanilla Bean Cafe) to home in North Reading, MA, the lane-change (or won't change) behavior did not occur. All changes were reasonably prompt, even with a car fairly close (but not too close). So that's both good and puzzling. I'm wondering now if perhaps there may have been some kind of navigation event on the expressway, such as "keep left" or "keep right" coming up and that's what made it reluctant to change lanes those previous times. I'll keep testing it.

I had the wife with me and there was not a single evil eye nor gasp to be seen/heard, so that's good. Of course, she still hasn't turned it on in her M3... also no instances of lousy lane positioning or endangering my rims, so good and good.

A drop from 99.99% to 95% uptime as a result of heavy precipitation implies extremely heavy rainfall occurs nearly 5% of the time—over 430 hours a year. Such rainfall events in reality occur more along the order of 0.1% of the time or less. The overwhelming majority of those cases are under intense cumulonimbus cells and are therefore fleeting. Most last on the order of around 10 minutes.
I think I wasn't quite clear. 95% was my estimate of current FSD uptime, not my estimate of torrential-rain prevalence. FSD currently fails (at least in my cars) in much milder weather circumstances; even the slightest drizzle can cause "FSD degraded" warnings and failure. (As well as being blinded by sun glare, false "camera blocked or blinded" warnings in very dark conditions, etc.)
If an autonomous car has to pull over during an extremely heavy precipitation event (as many humans do), it would have almost no impact on robotaxi uptime. How many people are going to demand to load or unload a robotaxi during such events, or are unwilling to pull over to the side of the road for the ten or 15 minutes to wait to let it pass?
Agreed, but the system has to handle the onset of such weather gracefully. Waymo (to my knowledge) does; FSD does not. If it can't handle it gracefully, then it must err on the side of caution and not attempt to begin a drive when such weather is even remotely possible, which would add up to a lot more than 0.01 percent of the time.
Further, just because you get red hands of death on the current system doesn’t mean a RT-ready version of the software would immediately give up and quit. That’s just the way it’s currently programmed.
Correct, but it's not yet clear or proven whether the limiting factor (the reason it's not solved yet) is sensor suite, or compute hardware, or programming/training. No doubt there's an order of magnitude improvement still possible with HW3/HW4, but it will need several orders of magnitude to reach Robotaxi readiness.
AI can already detect cancer cells in medical imagery before oncologists can. There are many documented cases of this. There’s no reason to believe a camera-based system can’t handle the task of pulling over as an extreme rainfall event begins.
Oncologists have an 80% success rate at detecting cancer cells; AI has a 90% success rate. (Or something in that ballpark.) Robotaxi will need a 99.999% success rate at avoiding situations that might cause it to fail. Achieving near-perfection is completely different from achieving better-than-average.
Many humans are able to and do pull to the side of the highway and park during extreme rainfall events. The remaining ones engage their hazards and drive slowly. It’s just not a major concern.
Of course not (for humans). The question is whether HW3/HW4 will ever be capable of failing as gracefully and reliably.
This reminds me of all the concerns and hand-wringing people had about mud caking the cameras and rending the FSD system inoperable. My second Tesla was one of the first AP1 vehicles (Oct 2014 build Model S). Ever since that time I have never seen a single issue reported where someone’s AP or FSD system has failed as a result of mud caking the lenses.
My Model Y was recently experiencing chronic FSD failures as a result of residue buildup within the camera housing, effectively a dirty lens. (Likely due to a manufacturing process which resulted in plastic-residue offgassing.) My Model 3 experienced image-quality-related failures due to some sort of mineral residue buildup on one of the external cameras, which required a camera replacement. Neither of these is a sudden mud splash per se, but the car must be robust to ALL these types of image-quality failures, not just one specific one.
Much like range anxiety, these are issues manufactured by the human mind that are inflated to be a larger concern than they actually deserve to be.
Strong disagree. Robotaxi must have less than one safety-critical failure per several million miles to be viable at scale. Granted that most specific problematic failures (e.g. mud splashes or pigeon bulls-eyes) may be quite rare, to the point that most drivers will never have experienced them, but even that level of rarity may still be statistically showstopping for the fleet, because there are thousands of such black-swan possibilities, and their probabilities are additive. Redundancy is the solution to this, and having multiple sensor modalities (e.g. radar, lidar, ultrasonic) with different strengths and failure modes, is a far more robust redundancy than merely having multiple visual cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz