Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else use 12.x significantly more than 11.x in construction areas? There's still room for improvement, but I think it should be one area where people can agree end-to-end drives much more smoothly and correctly. Today I had two different intersections where the approach for the right turn was not the usual right-most lane next to the curb and additionally both turn destinations required driving where oncoming traffic would normally wait but were blocked off with cones:

12.3.6 construction oncoming.jpg

I would expect 11.x to have been very jerky and confused about whether it should drive left of the double yellow lines especially because these were at an intersection with no lane lines within the intersection. But it seems like 12.3.6 used the right pillar camera to notice the cone pattern indicating oncoming traffic would not be in this space and decided to make the expected wide right turn.

Separately, maybe this example is too basic now for 12.x, but elsewhere in this construction area, we turn left onto a road with 2 destination lanes and they've been closing off the left or right lane a little bit past the intersection. I'm guessing 12.3.6 sees the cones ahead of time with the left pillar camera and smoothly completes the turn into the correct lane that's actually open. Whereas 11.x would probably turn into its usual desired lane and fail to make the quick merge while confusing other drivers why I didn't just turn into the correct lane to begin with.

Anybody else use 12.x significantly more than 11.x in construction areas? There's still room for improvement, but I think it should be one area where people can agree end-to-end drives much more smoothly and correctly. Today I had two different intersections where the approach for the right turn was not the usual right-most lane next to the curb and additionally both turn destinations required driving where oncoming traffic would normally wait but were blocked off with cones:

View attachment 1050269

I would expect 11.x to have been very jerky and confused about whether it should drive left of the double yellow lines especially because these were at an intersection with no lane lines within the intersection. But it seems like 12.3.6 used the right pillar camera to notice the cone pattern indicating oncoming traffic would not be in this space and decided to make the expected wide right turn.

Separately, maybe this example is too basic now for 12.x, but elsewhere in this construction area, we turn left onto a road with 2 destination lanes and they've been closing off the left or right lane a little bit past the intersection. I'm guessing 12.3.6 sees the cones ahead of time with the left pillar camera and smoothly completes the turn into the correct lane that's actually open. Whereas 11.x would probably turn into its usual desired lane and fail to make the quick merge while confusing other drivers why I didn't just turn into the correct lane to begin with.
There is significant construction in South OC, widening the freeways, and my local streets have had cones for a few years now. I have started testing v12.3.6 around those cones more than I did v11 (which I disengaged frequently). I'm finding, like you, that v12 handles the cones much better, and in many cases it will navigate the lane closures and coned up freeway entrances with no intervention from me.

Someone help me here. I got put on FSD jail for a week. This vision monitoring thing is so picky and atrocious.

i am so used to FSD now, that I now hate driving the car myself. What makes it really hard is, when I am in FSD jail the system won't even allow me to enable basic Autopilot also. I don't mind going through FSD jail punishment (although I am losing $25 worth of subscription) but not having basic Autopilot is unacceptable and drives me crazy.

How does one enable basic Autopilot when you are in FSD jail ?
Have you tried turning FSD off on the Autopilot screen? My wife's profile has FSD off, and she gets TACC, double pull for lane keeping. I think there are visualization differences too. So, you may be able to revert from locked out FSD to plain old AutoPilot.

I have no strikes, and my SO is out with the car, so I can't verify this suggestion, sorry.

This is off topic but been meaning to ask. Has anyone else noticed the shortcut for navigate to Work via swiping on the navigation search bar no longer works? Since about 2 months, BOTH vertical and horizontal swipes set the destination to Home. It used to be that one of those would set the destination to Work.

Wut?

If you’re free flowing on the freeway, there’s no traffic. When there is traffic it is inherently stop and go. That is the way things are.

The only thing evolving is your understanding of the situation I laid out (which of course there is ambiguity in,but everything I described was 100% consistent with stop and go traffic - I just did not explicitly state that).

No change in story. I cannot use tons of words to describe exactly what the situation was. I said stop and go to clarify that is what I was talking about originally (which was describing stop and go not using that description).

Please don’t say my story is changing when there is nothing in my posts saying that I was talking about high-speed traffic and if anything it seemed likely to be low-speed.
Uh… “traffic on the freeway “ is totally different from “stop and go traffic “ so yeah, you changed your story significantly.

I couldn’t disagree more. I don’t like thumbs downs, I laughed at the blinders you’re wearing. I’d use the word curmudgeon but didn’t want you to think I was mean and over bearing to octogenarians. 😀
For once I agree with Alan. The yoke is one of Tesla’s stupidest ideas ever. I’ve seen videos describing how to drive with it. Seriously! If you need a video instructing people how to use a fundamental driving control then you’ve failed! The only justification for the yoke is Tesla’s own design failure with the dash that isn’t fully visible behind the wheel. I guess ‘it’s cool’ might be a justification for a 6th grader (which explains why Elon is so fond of it)

Uh… “traffic on the freeway “ is totally different from “stop and go traffic “ so yeah, you changed your story significantly.
Incorrect. This is what I am talking about!

And how is it relevant anyway? My complaint was about something very specific.

By definition my story cannot change, as my description of the issue was 100% consistent throughout (stop-and-go traffic is a consistent subset of traffic).

As I said it is fine for people to misinterpret due to lack of specificity on my part. But we can’t say the story changed.

Last edited:
Incorrect. This is what I am talking about!

And how is it relevant anyway? My complaint was about something very specific.

By definition my story cannot change, as my description of the issue was 100% consistent throughout (stop-and-go traffic is a consistent subset of traffic).

As I said it is fine for people to misinterpret due to lack of specificity on my part. But we can’t say the story changed.
Yet you gave a disagree when someone who responded to your original statement correctly pointed out you didn't specify stop-and-go and 10mph in the original statement and clarified they meant a different type of traffic in their comment about slamming on the brakes.
FSD v12.x (end to end AI)

You may have meant that type of traffic, but "in traffic on the freeway" can certainly mean traffic that still flows. It could mean slightly slower than normal (like 60-65mph instead of 70+) or it could mean 30-50mph. The latter is what I experience regularly on a freeway heading towards a tunnel around 3pm (earlier in the day the traffic doesn't slow like that); the traffic then clears to 70+mph after the tunnel. Not all traffic is stop-and-go nor does it necessarily reach 10mph.