Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's funny because they literally texted and called Omar recently to give him V12 with no strings attached.

I think the Tesla AI team tries to avoid communicating with end-users in general. It has nothing to do with shilling. Remember when we sent them emails about our issues? Never a response. I was telling people that it was futile.
I would say Chuck is more technical, critical, and willing to put v12 through some challenges versus Omar's shtick. But also these communications likely need to be pre-approved. Tesla knows self-promoting youtubers can't always be trusted.

I would say Chuck is more technical, critical, and willing to put v12 through some challenges versus Omar's shtick. But also these communications likely need to be pre-approved. Tesla knows self-promoting youtubers can't always be trusted.

I disagree, I actually don't think Chuck is as knowledgeable about programming and technology, and computer science sort of topics as Omar, and Omar definitely test drives more varied environments and locations

When Omar has a chance to ask Elon questions, he asks good questions as well

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394
the real test will come in a general rollout, which I do expect by the end of Q1 (pending positive results to that point). Tesla seems to be approaching this very cautiously.
Yeah, this Model Y on TeslaInfo has 2023.44.30.15 available and is presumably the same 2023 Austin Y that provided release notes for 12.1 back in December while a 2017 Fremont 3 provided the notes for 12(.0) back in November. It looks like the current rate of 12.0 -> 12.1 -> 12.2 is roughly 5 weeks. Hopefully the rate of releases increases after the initial focus of training on NHTSA/recall issues as those presumably need to work "completely" whereas general later incremental improvements on various other issues can be released in more "partial" states.

That's funny because they literally texted and called Omar recently to give him V12 with no strings attached.

I think the Tesla AI team tries to avoid communicating with end-users in general. It has nothing to do with shilling. Remember when we sent them emails about our issues? Never a response. I was telling people that it was futile.
Tesla can see all without responding. It's a sure thing, among other inputs, that Tesla monitors social media in one way or another. If they want to hear the worst use case input, just come to TMC.

Tesla can see all without responding. It's a sure thing, among other inputs, that Tesla monitors social media in one way or another. If they want to hear the worst use case input, just come to TMC.

Yup, Tesla can definitely see and hear our input, but I'm mostly referring to the expectation of response. Tesla AI simply doesn't engage with end users. Chuck is no exception.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I disagree, I actually don't think Chuck is as knowledgeable about programming and technology, and computer science sort of topics as Omar, and Omar definitely test drives more varied environments and locations

Omar is a dude who writes iphone apps and now works at what seems to be his dads company (which does accounting and time tracking stuff)

Chuck is a former navy, and commercial airline, pilot and currently head of, among other things, navigation, surveillance & technical programs at Jetblue airlines.

So I'm not sure I agree with your thoughts on who's more qualified to discuss vehicle automation software.
(that's apart from the times Omar's been caught being less than honest about his videos)

As Elon would say "No part is the best part" and humans are a part. 😂
I just want the V12 "part" sent to us who have been testing since October 2021.
I have 40k plus fsd miles logged and send comments on all relevant disengagements.
For those of us that have payed for the opportunity to use the system, and have been safe with it and logged tons of miles, we should be the ones getting it first.
One reason is because we aren't all social media people and would be giving them tons of data without all this back and forth on X. They know who their safe and productive testers are. Give it to them already. I find it highly unlikely that their internal testers have the same usage and experience as some of us.

Side question: has there been any sort of general consensus around here on the implications of removal of FSD's "beta" designation? Does Tesla become any more liable in any way? To me it seems solely about the optics, but is there some practical or legal angle I'm missing?

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I just want the V12 "part" sent to us who have been testing since October 2021.
I have 40k plus fsd miles logged and send comments on all relevant disengagements.
For those of us that have payed for the opportunity to use the system, and have been safe with it and logged tons of miles, we should be the ones getting it first.
One reason is because we aren't all social media people and would be giving them tons of data without all this back and forth on X. They know who their safe and productive testers are. Give it to them already. I find it highly unlikely that their internal testers have the same usage and experience as some of us.
Amen

Another 12.1.2 drive by Whole Mars Catalog.

V12 not understanding hand signals from a pedestrian
V12 moving over at a light to make room for an oncoming car
V12 refusing at a stop sign (SF hills)
V12 refusing at another stop sign (SF hills)
V12 again moving over at a light to make room
V12 another poor stop sign interaction
V12 keeping an intersection clear, but then not proceeding until the light in the distance goes green
V12 completing a right on green with lots of pedestrians on the corner
V12 moving through a winding section of road with a bendy bus in the adjacent lane
V12 driving on a shoulder at the airport
V12 pulling up to the curb at the terminal at the end of the trip

Last edited:
Another 12.1.2 drive by Whole Mars Catalog.

V12 not understanding hand signals from a pedestrian
V12 moving over at a light to make room for an oncoming car
V12 refusing at a stop sign (SF hills)
V12 refusing at another stop sign (SF hills)
V12 again moving over at a light to make room
V12 another poor stop sign interaction
V12 keeping an intersection clear, but then not proceeding until the light in the distance goes green
V12 completing a right on green with lots of pedestrians on the corner
V12 moving through a winding section of road with a bendy bus in the adjacent lane
V12 driving on a shoulder at the airport
V12 pulling up to the curb at the terminal at the end of the trip

V12.1.2 stop sign response is like the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. Hopefully the team put some courage in v12.2 as that gets annoying quick.

Reactions: JB47394
Question about software versions.
There is now 2024.2.x versions going out over the past few weeks to a LOT of vehicles some including 11.4.9, but FSD v12.2 is version 2023.44.30.15.

I am on 2023.44.30.8 with FSD beta 11.4.9.

If I want to get FSD v12.2 (if it release to the public soon) should I be mindful of NOT installing any 2024.2.x versions or skipping it so not to get ahead and have to wait?

I thought the idea was there was no longer going to be different branches but with this latest information of different versions going out with different FSD beta's its very confusing on what to expect.

Even with 360 view, the Tesla driver couldn't keep pace with the traffic flow, within literally 6 inches of other vehicles and pedestrians on every side, having to modulate speed and predict about 20 or 30 other trajectories in real time, all of them intertwining and affecting each other, and all negotiating and watching others negotiate, know when to piggy back on someone in front creating showdows in traffic you can duck into, and when to yield to "illegal" cross traffic that now has the right of way only because they won that chess move, and you're actually blocked… No way could Tesla control the car to that level of precision relative to surroundings, literally inches away at 25 to 35 mph.
If Tesla is processing video at 36fps while traveling 35mph, that would be 17 inches in one frame. But as you suggest, it's more of situational awareness and predicting how others will behave while adjusting your behavior if reality doesn't match expectations. It seems like the side views could be easily occluded with nearby traffic, but maybe the most important cameras are still the ones in the front in the direction of travel.

I suppose if end-to-end is able to learn how to do this at lower speeds while making continuous progress, would people still accept that driving behavior? These situations are less common in the US, but it'll be interesting if FSD will handle it appropriately if trained on examples of where it is the common behavior without getting really close unless necessary.