Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this talk about the driver still bring responsible got me thinking.

There are about 30,000 traffic fatalities in the US per year. Say that every car has FSD and and 99% of these fatalities will be prevented. So that 30,000 will go down all the way to 300 per year. That is a great success!

The issue for Tesla is that if Tesla is taking responsibility and not the driver than Tesla will be responsible for these 300 fatalaties. That is one death per day!. Tesla would never survive that. Even when FSD is such a great success Tesla will never take that responsibility unless society will have a totally different view in how we sort these kind out thinks out.
Agreed, if Tesla somehow decreased auto deaths to 1 per year, they would still be labeled as the death car company. Near misses and accidents avoided, don't get reported. Therefore there would be no statistics, except for that one hypothetical death.

It's starting to get a bit more real now that a few people are downloading as well as driving during the day with traffic. MilliVanilliBean had an oh-$h% moment today with a brief steer in to an oncoming pickup in the middle of an intersection.
No kidding, if I see one more video of someone with their hands in their lap, off the wheel, I am gonna puke. These people are begging for a collision 💥.

@AlanSubie4Life has given countless tips on the proper way to handle nags, anticipate and react to potentially bad scenarios, how to supervise the wheel or yoke, and none of them involved his hands in his lap.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
All this talk about the driver still bring responsible got me thinking.

There are about 30,000 traffic fatalities in the US per year. Say that every car has FSD and and 99% of these fatalities will be prevented. So that 30,000 will go down all the way to 300 per year. That is a great success!

The issue for Tesla is that if Tesla is taking responsibility and not the driver than Tesla will be responsible for these 300 fatalaties. That is one death per day!. Tesla would never survive that. Even when FSD is such a great success Tesla will never take that responsibility unless society will have a totally different view in how we sort these kind out thinks out.
One death per day may sound like a lot, but if ALL cars in the US were using an L5 version of Tesla FSD, then the cost of one death per day is spread over about 275 million registered cars. Assuming an average liability of $10 million, that's less than 3.6 cents per car per day. If Tesla collects 10 years of that liability that up front with every car purchase, that comes to $131.40 per car sold. Seems like a bargain.

I picked the $10 million liability number out of the air. Average liability for a traffic fatality does not seem to be publicly available. Insurance companies seem to keep that to themselves.

I saw these two things on freeway 56 in San Diego while having fun with v12.3 today.

Attachments

• UnknownCar.jpg
    UnknownCar.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 11
  • CyberTruck.jpg
    CyberTruck.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
He’s got the defeat device that uses the scroll wheels (which he claims works again in 12.3, after he complained to his buddies at Tesla).
So far, his video is the only account that implies the scroll wheel works again to kill the nag... and I think 'implies' is the right word. Not being able to use the scroll wheel for the nag as well as insistence on using single pull for FSD are big deals to me. I'd rather stay on v11 as long as possible.

Reactions: KArnold
12.3 in a nutshell for bay area, CA:

1) less nags
2) does extremely well with "typical" city driving
3) fails with uncommonly encountered scenarios. Doesn't fail horribly, but it's annoying when it tries to get in the wrong lane and you have places to be, etc.
4) parking lot behavior is not as good as city road behavior (obviously)
5) fsdb city driving on 12.3 is *better* than fsdb highway, imagine that (once you get used to the smooth buttery city lane changes, the highway stack feels so robotic)
6) still lots of rare edge cases to train...
7) blows my mind that my 5 year old HW3 chip can run this beast

14th / 13:00 PST - 12.3 Goes out

15th / 22:00 PST - Extra Wave

———————————————-

16th / 07:00 PST - Another Wave?
14 / ~1300 PST / ~60

15 / ~2200 PST / ~60

15 / ~2330 PST / ~190

—————————————

Maybe new wave every 12-30 hours?

Hopefully this continues rolling and goes to all who are on .8 and .14. Would assume the .8 crowd would have priority since they didn’t get the recall yet but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Optimeer
This is SUPER CRAZY. Since about early Beta 10.5 or so I have been bringing up the rear on all my Beta updates. I fully expected to be near last to get 12.3. What a surprise to see this. Also in ATL.

OT: Just a little Atlanta brag. In the 2020 census ATL was the 9th largest metro in the US. The 24 census estimates were release Thursday and in just 4 years we have passed Miami, Philly and D.C to become the 6th largest metro.

IMG_4561.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 5.57.59 AM.png

The latest wave of 12.3 rollout brings TeslaFi total pending/installed up to 272 (up from 101; roughly 2% rollout -> 5% of FSD Beta). So far completed installations are newly including Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia; but seems to still be basically only HW3.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
This is SUPER CRAZY. Since about early Beta 10.5 or so I have been bringing up the rear on all my Beta updates. I fully expected to be near last to get 12.3. What a surprise to see this. Also in ATL.

OT: Just a little Atlanta brag. In the 2020 census ATL was the 9th largest metro in the US. The 24 census estimates were release Thursday and in just 4 years we have passed Miami, Philly and D.C to become the 6th largest metro.

View attachment 1028570

View attachment 1028572
It’s random. I’ve been on FSDb since 10.3, across three cars (two with safety score entry into the “program”) and only once did I get an early release of new software. I was one of the first to get V11 back whenever that was.

It’s random. I’ve been on FSDb since 10.3, across three cars (two with safety score entry into the “program”) and only once did I get an early release of new software. I was one of the first to get V11 back whenever that was.
Think you mean 10.2 since 10.3 was the infamous and scary 3 day only update that nearly derailed FSD Beta. I'm also an original day one 10.2 user (came out on a Friday and was OoT until Sunday and waited to install).

Based on.........it will be only going to the same people who got 12.2.1. You are forever too optimistic. 😂 It MUST pass muster testing with the people who are "chosen ones" (12.2.1) and that takes some time. The BEST we can hope for is no serious bugs show up in the next couple of weeks. Then we can be hopeful of a wider rollout to some new people. If you are not carful you could end up getting it just before me which is usually near last. 🤣

This My Space post is just as applicable today as it was after the 10.2 debacle.

View attachment 1028049
1710585245452.png