Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. My M3 (HW3) is currently on 2024.2.7, so obviously I'm not on a branch that can get FSD v12 right now. Tesla is trying to push 2024.8.4 to me. If I manage to stay on 2024.2.7, is there a chance I'll get v12 sooner than if I take the 2024.8.4 update?

Sorry if this question has been addressed in this thread. I've been watching for a few weeks but don't remember it having been asked.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes. My M3 (HW3) is currently on 2024.2.7, so obviously I'm not on a branch that can get FSD v12 right now. Tesla is trying to push 2024.8.4 to me. If I manage to stay on 2024.2.7, is there a chance I'll get v12 sooner than if I take the 2024.8.4 update?

Sorry if this question has been addressed in this thread. I've been watching for a few weeks but don't remember it having been asked.
Yea this is a known method to get back onto a more recent FSDb version.

The opposite of this is to drop your subscription and then resubscribe once you get onto an older FSDb with more recent FW.

I wonder if this is general end-to-end improvements separate from new functionality like Summon and Banish?

Somewhat sounds like there might be focused training efforts to polish 3 types of behaviors each release? I wonder if release notes will reflect these items, e.g., speed control, unprotected left turns, braking profile?

Stupid question: does he mean 3 improvements every 2 weeks or 1 improvement every 2 weeks, 3 in total?

Smart question: does it even matter? :)

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
B-PILLAR SUMMARY
No disengagements or intervention on 2 drives.

Positive- First and key is that since V12 does such a good job at creeping very slowly it was able to take several obstructed view intersections safely. These were intersections I always did manually before V12. Awesome.

Negative- Because V12 has to creep so far forward at these obstructed view intersections sometimes FSD will force vehicles to stop until the creep is done because the car is too far into the roadway. Remember these are narrow secondary roads with NO shoulders. So today when I leaned forward I could see far enough to make a decision but had to wait since I knew V12 FSD would continue another 2+ feet before FSD could see far enough too. Without cameras closer to the front I think it's impossible for FSD to solve this. It is what it is. This situation is the exception but it happened to me today. If I was driving the crossing car would NOT have needed to stop. Perhaps hardware 5 will address this. Bottom line- not a show stopper for robotaxi service but not right and potentially a safety issue.

Last edited:
I think 12.3 really is worth getting excited about, and I've never said that in the history of FSD. It's not a robotaxi, but it's SO...MUCH...BETTER... It's the kind of improvement we always hoped for with every release but then just realized it was another version that didn't *really* change anything. Still only have about 50 miles on it, but so far it's really good. Did my first ever zero intervention this morning covering about 20 miles. And stop signs have actually worked perfectly for me so far. Comes to an indicated zero (though may still be moving slightly) and immediately moves when appropriate. I don't think I had ever made it through a stop sign without intervention in the last few years unless there was no one around and I was just bored and curious.

Couple highlights from yesterday and today on 12.3. Crossing double lane markings avoiding emergency vehicle. Stopping for school bus. For the school bus, there was also a stop sign displayed on the UI but I only have dashcam video.

For the school bus, it's possible that FSD just stopped because the bus was in the way and did not appear to be parked. I'd like to see FSD approach a bus from the opposite direction to see if it stops when the road ahead is not blocked.

The car, at least, did not attempt to go around the bus, which is good!

For the school bus, it's possible that FSD just stopped because the bus was in the way and did not appear to be parked. I'd like to see FSD approach a bus from the opposite direction to see if it stops when the road ahead is not blocked.

The car, at least, did not attempt to go around the bus, which is good!
He did say a stop sign was displayed on the screen, so who knows.....

Reactions: flutas and bedoig
IMG_1108.jpeg

Someone got 2024.2.7. After 2023.44.30.25

Must have dropped their subscription.

🔔 Shame!

Ya, that was my first and only encounter so far, so I don't know how well it replicates (if at all, or especially coming the other direction). These are wide streets and there was plenty of room to go around if it wanted. I also snapped the recording a little early because I was impressed, but it started moving appropriately again after. Everything felt correct in this instance, but time will tell.

Very Winding Road Drive

FSD was able for the first time to successfully drive an extremely narrow road with tight and blind corners. Kept speed down between 8mph and 20mph and stayed far right for the most part. Even kept moving when encountering a car around a corner. Yahoo! Plus when I came home FSD took the tight corner into my street at 7mph which is perfect.

Jeez I have gone WholeMars stupidly INSANE.🤪 Original Beta tester and live in the inner city. Have never had more than about 2 miles of urban FSD driving without a disengagement.

Yesterday had a couple of long great drives BUT today just blows it out of the water. I went several miles (all urban) on 2 trips without a single disengagement (and almost no Elon cursing which is a RECORD). So many things it did right and human like. Here is just one example.

In left lane when coming to Red light and couldn't get over before light changed and was blocked for Work. Was "stuck" and almost disengaged to get over since I couldn't see FSD making it. But stopped myself and said unless dangerous no matter how embarrassing I'm going to let it play. Light changed and FSD turned on signal. After a couple of cars one slowed (NOT stopped) JUST enough for a human to know to go quickly. I was going to let it play and sit there and all of a sudden FSD gunned it and took the small gap. WOW, just wow. Got home and NOT a single disengagement on 2 drives of over 15 inner city miles.

Color me Omar's yes man. 🤣

IMG_4595.jpeg
IMG_4596.jpeg

I have some more thoughts after my test route last night and my commute this morning.

There are two major issues in this build, one being the weird speed behavior as mentioned by many and the other being what I think someone referred to as “pump fakes”. The car will feel like it has decided to do something, then pull back from that decision, then recommit. It’s pretty bizarre and uncomfortable.

The speed thing is really weird and it’s making me a little seasick. Whether it’s the best behavior or not, I want the car to pop up to its max speed setting when conditions allow. The car is most indecisive about speed when no other cars are around. In general it doesn’t like driving alone which is exactly the opposite of v11.x.

Turn signal behavior seems to be entirely solved; usually on my test route I would have several dozen erroneous signals and so far I’ve had none.

Everything is much smoother and v12 just feels kind of unrelated to v11.x. It leaves spaces at intersections like I would, it paused for someone coming out of a driveway into heavy traffic, stuff like that.

My intention is to divest myself of all things Elon and part of that game plan is FSD having some resale value. I took a chance on the free FSD transfer on that notion and for the first time it feels like it might pay off.

For me, v12 is a pretty big improvement and I now have a glimmer of it someday being level 3 or 4.

Edit: My car uploaded 28.1 GB of video last night!

Yea this is a known method to get back onto a more recent FSDb version.

The opposite of this is to drop your subscription and then resubscribe once you get onto an older FSDb with more recent FW.

My subscription is almost up and I'm contemplating dropping it - don't feel like shelling out for v11.4 with v12.3 already out there - but I'm already on 2024.2.7. At this point, is there any reason for me to maintain my subscription until v12 goes wide? I won't get v12 pushed until it catches up to the 2024 branch, right? And who knows how long that will take...?

Some observations in the last few days with v12.3:

1. Unprotected right turn from 30 mph street to 50 mph is more conservative and more comfortable. The creeping line on the screen seems a little bit wider and stays stable.

I still saw 1 case the car moved to make UP right turn while there was another car moving up - about 20 ft from my car. That intersection had pedestrians and was leading to a highway. It's a little bit different than other intersections.

2. Car paid great attention to pedestrians. It always stops when seeing pedestrians.
This morning it stopped at green light to wait for a jogger 30 ft from the intersection to pass before making right turn.

3. Car changes lanes easily and aggressively during heavy traffic. It made a hasty lane change near the intersection to make left turn to freeway this morning. Because of overconfidence it didn't change lanes earlier. I don't like this behavior.

4. This morning was the first time I saw the car recognized ramp meter light (shown on touchscreen) and correctly waited for its turn.