Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen or experienced a situation in which the mirrors were folded and would actually have hit something had they not been folded?

I get that it's nice to increase the margin of error, but I bet the answer is no.
I have. Or at least it was close enough that it made me feel uncomfortable. This was in my development where roads are narrow and there was an Amazon Truck on one side of the street and a parked car on the other side. The car slowed down quite a bit and folded the mirrors.

it has a tiny oscillation. You’ll be coming to a stop or changing speed and the car just judders along with a little stutter step.

Yup! You described it better than I could have, but that's exactly what I see. Mostly at sub-25 mph as well.

Annoying as an attentive driver; but looks fine in all the V12 videos on youtube LOL.

Today I tested a bunch around Boulder CO and on roads with lots of bikes. Definitely major improvements in a lot of situations, but not perfect.

How close do you think this sign was to my mirror?

Untitled.png

(Note: there was no pressure to get this close. Plenty of space to the left and no oncoming traffic. Obviously it worked out fine but not relaxing lol)

Last edited:
just got FSD 12.3 - i'm really impressed! Fixed all the main issues I was having. I have a divided road with a double stop sign intersection. Previously, it would miss the second stop sign and wait forever at the stop - both fixed. Seems very smooth on turns (no sharp turns). Leaves the stop in a normal amount of time with good acceleration. All the jerky steering wheel stuff is gone now. Overall much smoother and little reminiscent of smoothness of AP1.0 on the older cars. Speed bumps - it recognized them all and slowed down correctly.

Is it just me or is the NAGGING also much less now than the previous 11.x versions?

Last edited:
There’s no need to change lane inside the roundabout, just as you don’t change lane inside a square intersection. See this video and start at 0:50:
That's only true is the exit/entrance have the same number of lanes as the roundabout. Where there is only one exit/entrance lane you use the inner lane for 270 degree type turns and then move to the outer lane before your exit.

Is it just me or is the NAGGING also much less now than the previous 11.x versions?
Nagging is much less and if you get the red pay attention, turn the car off, walk away and then come back to it and the nags will go back to being infrequent. I have found that this reset is invaluable.
I had no nags for days. Then pushed it trying to hold my phone to record, got the red warning.
Then went from Elon mode to Kimbal mode. Still good though.
If it's dark or raining, they appear more.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
That's only true is the exit/entrance have the same number of lanes as the roundabout. Where there is only one exit/entrance lane you use the inner lane for 270 degree type turns and then move to the outer lane before your exit.
Sorry Doc, you didn't read my post. Too bad, I liked you.
Nobody gives a hoot about anyone's opinion about roundabouts.
"Who's driving??? Us or the car?? " Nonsense..
Toooooooo subjective.

Auf Wiedersehen

Last edited:
I've had v12 for a few days now and I have to say it earns the 12 increment. The single biggest improvement is in how it performs at stop signs. v11 never seemed to understand whether it actually had enough visibility to determine if it was safe to pass. It would confidently charge ahead from a creep before it was even possible to see cross traffic, requiring me to disengage at most stop signs. Conversely it would also creep or wait around unnecessarily at wide open intersection. v12 is WAY more competent in this regard and it's a game changer in terms of FSDb's usabilty on local roads.

I've seen a few examples now of it going around traffic making a left, rather than strictly observing the road as single lane. FINALLY!

The other day while it was set to go straight, it unfortunately chose to get into the left lane. Though not a left-only lane, it was backed up due to people turning left at the upcoming light. I was disappointed but decided to patiently wait. After about 10 seconds, the car suddenly put up a turn signal and with determination cranked the wheel 2 clocks to the right. I was startled for a moment because I had not been paying attention to whether there was traffic to my right. Lo and behold it was totally clear. The car had apparently realized time is money and moved us into the right lane to get us to our destination faster!

Last night it beared right at a stop sign to turn right alongside a car that had beared left for their left. This is on a road that is "officially" single lane, meaning no lane markings! Was really impressed by that as v11 would just proceed through the middle, occupying the entire road and forcing drivers behind you to wait. Perhaps it did this because the other car already to left, so its behavior to drive around traffic was elicited rather than to avoid blocking rearward traffic? Maybe if that car wasn't there it would have stayed in the middle, so this will need more testing.

That being said I am seeing some new issues not present in v11 and was wondeirng if anyone else has noticed the same.

It no loger seems to respect the max speed setting. Mind you I have the new auto-offset feature turned off. Say I have the max set to 60 MPH and the speed limit it 50 MPH, it will not reach 60. It seems to hover around the speed limit, as if it's using the auto-offset feature regardless of what setting you choose.

Lane changes have also gotten significaltly worse. It often does a new prolonged 2-motion lane change. It moves to the edge of the current lane and hangs there for a moment before crossing into the destination lane. Pretty dangerous since it takes way longer and looks like you changed your mind on the lane change, confusing traffic around you. I've also had it on 2 occasions change lanes on the highway without giving a turn signal (never seen that in v11)! Granted it was in the same drive and I haven't seen it happen since.

You might be thinking since FSDb switches to v11 on the highway that the highway behavior would be unchanged, but there are some highways around here (e.g. RT 17 in NJ) that are not registering as highways as far as FSDb (or even NoAP for that matter) are convcerned.

My same 13-mile drive but this time on the Assertive FSDb profile:

1711224696057.png

The fast-cornering event was me running a yellow light because I didn't want to wait for a whole light cycle, that is way too long. Two of the braking events were for yellow lights where I would have gone through the light, so given that I think they have the profiles backwards, as Assertive seems to accelerate and brake gentler than Chill or Average. (It seemed to go to a lower top speed as well, never exceeding the 9MPH limit of the State Farm insurance scoring, which happened on both Chill and Average.)

It will be interesting to see how the next trip is, assuming I don't get hit with lots of yellow lights like I did on this trip.

Signaling is definitely too early now. It signals more than a block before a turn, so the person following me may think I am signaling very late for the turn before my actual turn.

Things that need to be fixed:
  • Stopping for yellow lights when it should continue.
  • Signaling too early.
  • AutoMax speed issues.
  • Too aggressive acceleration and braking. (According to State Farm, I think it is very close to acceptable.)
  • Re-enable the lane change notifications (or fix Joe mode so it isn't too quiet)

My HW4 car finally has the new firmware available for download. I'm no in rush to update the firmware though. Will likely not update until FSD V12 fixes the initial issues. I'm pretty comfortable with V11. Better the devil you know.
You will be last in line behind @j0shm1lls to get 12.3.1.
Install it and help the Tesla community.
I have more beta miles than 99% of Tmc... it is light years better.
V11 is a death trap compared to V12.
The devil you currently know sucks in comparison 😒

No no no, I will get 12.3 the day I have to trade in my M3P for the X I have on order. It also won't install until I'm at the dealer, so I'll hop straight in the X and be stuck on a factory build with no FSD at all for a month...
I feel so bad for you. How about I fly you to my house. Show you the beaver 🦫, and let you drive V12?