Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I agree it basically functions - in both manual and Auto speed offset modes.
I disagree. Scrolling the speed appears to have no impact on the speed, other than to act as a ceiling.

When Automatic Set Speed Offset is DISABLED:
My hypothesis:
Target Speed = min(Auto Set Speed Offset NN-determined Target, User Max Limit)

When Auto Set Speed offset is enabled, it just ignores any user limits AFAICT.

In any case it is not laggy. It never gets to the desired speed; a user-requested higher speed setting than the internal target it has will just not be achieved unless the NN decides it should go faster (in which case it will still be capped at that user-requested speed). (When Automatic Set Speed Offset is disabled.)

TL;DR: Broken (hence, nearly everyone complaining and a new release to “fix” it coming)

wsy6Wd8.jpg
Interesting that this suggests Autopark is not using the same NN planner. I guess that makes sense, since it will have to be lightweight to run on HW2.5. 😉

Not sure why they would bother with better driving visualizations at this point. Maybe when parking?

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think it is doing extraordinarily well in difficult DC traffic. I admire its assertiveness. It holds its own against the city buses and doesn’t surrender on streets that lose lanes to bus lanes causing the traffic to converge in a single lane. Yes, it did try to turn left against a red left turn light in a complicated intersection. Sensing its mistake, it stopped turning left and seemed to want to go straight in the lanes for opposing traffic. With my help, we ran the red light.

It only seems to be timid on clear roads with no traffic. Then it picks a nice safe speed that has nothing to do with the speed I have set. But all in all, I think it’s a major, major improvement.

I survived! No referral points for you! 🤣🤣🤣

BARELY survived. Some jerk pulled out in front of me while on FSD going about 40, but it handled it like a champ...

FSD braked accordingly and accelerated fine after it crossed our path. I need more time with FSD 12.3 to judge but in a quick synopsis, turns are much better, accelerating from a stop is much better, general jerkiness is improved but DAMN BOI she slow. I drive in assertive and it feels like it doesn't make a difference to FSD at all as its generally 5mph under the speed limit at all times unless I'm encouraging it with the go pedal. Highway stack is still v11 so I wasn't expecting a change there, whenever I exit the HOV lane while going 75ish, it aggressively brakes down to 65ish before moving over into the fast lane. I always had to mash the go pedal to make sure I keep up with traffic. This behavior existed in the last build also.

Last night's 15 mile drive street / highway mix had zero disengagements both ways, so far so good!
I finally got a good night's rest last night knowing you received it, and lived to tell about it. The 7 Crown and Gingers helped also.
Congrats on getting it. Now do you have to trade it in and start waiting again?

I finally got 12.3 (from 11.4.9) late last night. HW3 MY. Took it for a spin this morning, neighborhood grocery run, etc. I am thoroughly impressed so far. Overall, it's amazing and a huge step change from 11. Very natural control inputs, very human-like decision making in complex scenarios. I used the new auto speed right off the bat, and I'm set to Assertive.

My minor complaints so far:
* Timid approach to stop signs and red lights. Basically it overslows early and takes a bit to reach the stop line.
* Auto speed is often a bit lower than I would like. On a highway feeder, I was able to adjust up with the pedal and then release it and it stuck. On a neighborhood 35mph road, it wanted to go 33 ("normal flow is more like 37), and the pedal intervention was always temporary (went back to 33 on release).

I finally got a good night's rest last night knowing you received it, and lived to tell about it. The 7 Crown and Gingers helped also.
Congrats on getting it. Now do you have to trade it in and start waiting again?
Hah thanks for caring... kinda!

I'm still waiting on my X to be delivered, no VIN yet but the delivery center expects it roughly the last 2 days of the month. Gotta hit those quarterly targets! THEN I go back to driving with my hands like a peasant for a while.

Had a second, longer drive on 12.3 just now, all non-highway. Still very impressed overall. Aced a whole lot of complex decisions in traffic at intersections. So far it has especially been absolutely killer at every 4-way and 2-way stop intersection I've tried: it knows when to go and is assertive and correct every time. Also nailed going over a very tall railroad track hill, which it always tried to launch over at excessive speed on v11.

More minor quibbles:

* It pulled into a temporary right turn lane when we were due to keep navving straight down the road, but it figured it out and smoothly got back into the left lane without slowing or scaring me. There was no nearby traffic, so who knows how it might have gone e.g. with a car behind me that sped up beside us when we entered that turn lane.
* At one stop sign which is hard to see, just after an s-curve, it reacted very late and slammed on the brakes to stop at it. No car behind thankfully. Even relying on just vision, IMHO it should've seen it coming earlier. Map knows about it too though, so no good excuses for that.

As of today I now use FSD on City/Streets with my spouse in the car. Granted I haven't done this in Boston or in a couple of other area cities were the road layout is awful but to achieve spouse acceptance anywhere is a major step forward. The fact FSD is sometimes slow may actually have helped get buy in.

The one problem I did have today was on the highway with a steady hard rain for 90 minutes. FSD did great seeing the lines and staying in lanes until the window fogged up too much. FSD disengaged with the wheel of death with a message FSD would wait until the front cameras were clear again. That took a couple of minutes.

One thing I have noted with my 2nd Model Y (2023) is it fogs up way more than my first Model Y. I wonder if Tesla could detect fogging windows and adjust the air flow more quickly. I tried a couple of defrost settings which did help but by then the windshield was quickly fogging up. I also had a couple of messages regarding occluded side cameras. Obviously these are the types of problems that cannot happen with robotaxi. Hardware 5?
The window in front of the camera doesn't necessarily fog up at the same time the rest of the window does (and I believe it has its own heating element). I can't say for sure but I'd guess that wasn't the cause of the disengagement

Interesting that this suggests Autopark is not using the same NN planner. I guess that makes sense, since it will have to be lightweight to run on HW2.5. 😉

Not sure why they would bother with better driving visualizations at this point. Maybe when parking?
Parking needs to be more precise but is a much slower endeavor with fewer objects to keep track of so 'traditional' coding may actually be preferable to a NN for auto park.

as far as visualizations, having better visualizations for parking would be nice. Aside from that It doesnt' matter to me, I just with the cars visualized in the blind spot would be accurately positioned.

Had by many times my worst v12 drive this morning with 5 disengagements in less than 5 miles.😢

First was a mistake it made. Was supposed to turn left from Northside onto Tech Pkwy and continued straight. Good news is I got my first U-turn. It rerouted to make a left on 10th st and then so around block to 8th St and try again. On 10th St it tried to tun into a gas station right before the street (1st disengagement). When it turned on Northside there was no traffic (early Sunday) and it still missed the left and went straight. It rerouted the same again so to avoid an ∞ loop I had to disengage.

Next the street it was blocked for construction and there was ONLY a right turn. Car came to a stop and "looked/thought" it over and start back straight at the barrier and then tried Turing left into a curb so another disengagement.

Later tried to make a left turn in front of a car so anther disengagement.

Turning into a parking lot it was pucker butt close to the curb so I disengaged (may have made it but not worth the chance).

VERY discouraging v12 drive after so many days and drives with positive impressions.

ALSO appears that TMC picture upload is not working.

View attachment 1031528

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tivoboy
FWIW I had more disengagements on 12.3 yesterday than I usually had on 11.x.... in particular on 3-4 lane each way (but non-highway) roads it was constantly make weird lane change choices and bailing out halfway between slow lane changes. I'd seen this complaint in the FSD threads in recent days but first time on roads where I ran into it myself.

On small 1-2 lane each way roads its behaved a lot better- noticeably so-- but this on bigger roads was pretty disappointing and I can't even figure out why it was doing it.