Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% to cars on 2024.2.7 (as expected) and seems like all states. I don't like being stuck on 12.3 while people are going straight from 11.4.9 to 12.3.2.1.

My head is spinning and I can't keep track of all the new releases with and without Autopark and 12.3 vs 12.3.1 vs 12.3.2 vs 12.3.2.1.

I like to think that Tesla is intentionally holding back those of us who have had FSD Beta since the safety-score era so that we can test even newer software; like we never got pushed to the 2024.X branches because 12.3 was on a 2023.X branch.

That being said, I have a road trip coming up on Friday, and I would appreciate having the latest version of 12.3 with better speed control.

Unless the entire SAE standard language is embedded in a law, the law would be challenged as being "incorporation by reference". The reason this type of reference is not allowed is that SAE, as a private organization, could change their standards to something nonsensical.

Supcom already covered why your objection isn't the case- but if you want specific language showing it:

Nevada law said:
“SAE J3016” means the document published by SAE International on September 30, 2016, as “Taxonomy and Definitions for Terms Related to Driving Automation Systems for On-Road Motor Vehicles” or a document determined by the Department to be a subsequent version which is approved by the Department by regulation.

So only the specific, already published and called out, version is binding-- unless the relevant department of the state government determines a newer version should be approved by regulation.

So the SAE can't single handedly "change" anything as relates to the law.

But anyone wishing to comply with the law sure sure as heck DOES have to comply with SAE guidelines (as published in the relevant, or newer adopted-by-governments, version of it).

Reactions: Pdubs
Well, the NHTSA review and requirements did say something about reducing the drivers ability to override speed settings, posted speed signs and shortened reaction time (made available) for the required human occupant to be able to take over.. maybe this was just a hammers way of complying with a lot of that?
So they would rather people just continue texting and manually driving, right? Do the additional deaths caused by people not using an assist not count? I can kind of see it if we’re talking about a system where the car is driving, but under FSD, the human is still driving. Hampering these systems in this way will just mean that people won’t use them. When autopilot was nagging every five seconds (I think the latest update improved this), I fell back to manual driving myself a lot of the time because who needs that stress?

If you go by what Tesla told the Cali DMV back in 2020, even a *final* release of FSD will still be Level 2.

Tesla isn't exactly unbiased on their own assessment though. It's preferable from a regulatory standpoint for Tesla if everyone considers FSD a level 2 system. That was four years ago - clearly FSD was going to be L2 for the forseeable future in 2020 (Elon's comments aside, lol).

If they get to a point where they can make money from a L3 or L4 system of course they'll do that, regardless of what they told the Cali DMV 8 years ago or however long it is.

TLDR I don't think those comments tell us much about either Tesla's intents or forecasted progress.

Indeed. My opinion is that Tesla will ignore the SAE standards and simply define stuff as it wants .. pretty much the way they demolished CCS by presenting NACS as a fait accompli.
Not sure if you are joking, but as cited, Tesla continues to reference SAE standards. It's not overly complex, it's just a description of capabilities. If Tesla can provide limited FSD where the driver can not pay attention until they are requested to take control, it doesn't matter if they call it level 3 or not...but that's what it will be.

If Tesla can drive mostly anywhere except in snow or heavy rain without a driver, it will be level 4...regardless of what Tesla calls it, but it's an odd thing to think or say Tesla is against them when they reference them on their website, in meetings, and in legal documents.

You should be able to check what version you will get by clicking on the Yellow download arrow at the top of the screen. It well say to connect to WiFi to download and the version is listed in the Software Menu.
As I said in my post, I know I'm queued up to get 2023.44.30.14.

And I know I need that, plus the games add-on and a NAV update (that is also out of date) before I would seem to be ready for 2023.44.30.30 which seems to be the Canadian version with V12.3.1 although there are also Canadian cars getting 2024.3.6 with V12.3.2.1. (including some MYs with HW3.)

Will the SC do all three of those downloads, install the firmware update (IIRC map and game updates don't need installation, just downloading) and then will they download and install the next update that gets me to V12.X.X?

That would definitely confirm the speculation is that the service centres are updating all cars that come in for service to V12.x.x.

If they don't, then I'll get the download notification for the update with V12 about a week later. At least that's what happened last time I had to do a 2 stage update from somewhat old v10 to less old V10, to V11 (which was the software I was after.)

finally the 2024 people are getting v12 FSD and the newest 12.3.2.1
1711587431300.png

Teslascope on X was saying it had improvements to in-lane positioning (which has been a minor problem area for me). We'll see when I get one of the point releases...
I mean I certainly hope I have fewer disengagements but I don’t expect it. Lane positioning (not to be confused with lateral stopping position which is different and for which I had disengagements for safety) has been a little wandering for me but mostly ok (hitting bumps occasionally in arguably understandable situations) and have only disengaged to report a couple times.

I think if we don’t see the rapid improvement in these next couple releases we can throw in the towel on this approach. They’ve been at this for nearly a year now, and there are still crippling issues and while better in some key areas it is quite far from being robust.

I claim that all the common issues (lane selection and lesser extent positioning, speed, curbs, stopping) need to be resolved by 12.4 or the next 12.3.3 or whatever, otherwise we’re looking at months and months or even years of time between appreciable improvements.

Another possible pitfall is old problems coming back down the road, after being fixed in upcoming releases. We cannot under any circumstances see that - it would be a terrible failure.

Not my first rodeo. Autowipers and auto highbeams are abject lessons to look to here.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc