Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On US 15 in PA/MD most of the time it would set the speed limit to 15 MPH when it passed a US 15 sign
Interesting. There was an example of 12.2.1 potentially getting confused by US 101 signs from almost a month ago, but seems to be common enough in California to know not to set the speed limit to 101. It seemed to have been confused by a passing vehicle blocking the right side of the sign resulting in 10 MPH speed limit:

12-2-1-wrong-10mph-jpg.1025070

I suppose extra caution for those using 12.x on US highways that might end with a "0" or "5" (potentially when partially blocked).

• Funny
Reactions: JHCCAZ and EVNow
There are multiple complaints, all of which are consistent with one another. I may not be listing them all here:

1) The car will exceed the speed limit by too much. And it will not respond in a timely or intuitive manner to dialing down the (hidden) speed target.

Solution: use manual offset mode or do a lot of dialing and keep track in ASSO mode.

2) Car does not respond in a timely manner to speed limit changes.

Solution: Probably requires disengagement. Manual offset could help reduce magnitude.

3) Car does not detect the correct speed.

Solution: not really a good solution to this one since the result is detached from reality on the ground.

4) Car does not go to the user’s specified manual speed offset in manual mode in a timely manner, or ever.

Solution: there is no solution except to use accelerator to kick it up. Or wait and hope it decides to go faster.

5) Car goes way under speed limit, even with correctly detected limit.

Solution: this is related - extreme case - to 4) so solution is the same.

Thanks for the backup (and pointing out the 50% parameter in the first place).
1 through 5 is seriously about speed?

Here’s my take on this.

You’re not driving so why care what the person that has to suffer behind you thinks.

But also, everyone speeds anyway.

I fluctuate between these two feelings and don’t care about that last one unless I see a cop.

Seems as they ramped up the 2024.8.7 rollout for whatever reason
In case you were actually confused, most of the US/Canada HW3/4 vehicles getting 2024.8.7 were already on 2024.8.4, so they couldn't get 2024.3.10 / 12.3.3 anyway. The rest of the vehicles getting that update are ineligible for 12.x for region (outside of North America) or hardware (older than HW3).

Tesla is likely working on getting 12.x on a newer version such as 2024.8.10 to include these vehicles that updated "too quickly" which probably represents ~5% of the total potentially eligible audience probably similar to the audience size of portrait S/X that Tesla has said they're actively validating whether 12.x is ready to deploy to those customers.

Disagree.
Let me run some scenarios by you.

A. You drive slower and end up arriving a few minutes later.

---> Oh no, anyway.

B. The person behind you, in a fit of rage honks their horn.

---> I learned this recently. It's called schadenfreude.

C. The person behind you, in a fit of rage rear ends you.

---> Enjoy your new Tesla.

D. The person behind you, passes you, and a rock chips your car.

---> Hit the record button and sue their insurance for emotional suffering.

C. The person behind you, passes you, and nothing happens.

---> Nothing Happens

Tesla must have old map data

There are 2 roads that go to my house but one of them has been closed and blocked off for 3 years now

When I used FSD on the way home the car almost turned into the cement wall that blocks the closed road, I had to disengage

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ

Not quite.

schadenfreude /shäd′n-froi″də/

noun​

1. Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
  2. Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune.
  3. Delight in another person's misfortune.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Unfortunately FSD is useless now for the final part of my commute to work I found out today after trying the newest version for on the way back to work (it did this on v11 as well so not version specific). Since it follows guidance and you can't modify the path it takes, There is a route it takes that normally I would go off to a service road like you're suppose to. But FSD takes the main highway which makes you cut over 3 lanes to get to the exit with maybe 500 feet so you'd have to AGGRESSIVELY cut over, If you miss that exit you're stuck on a road that only goes to NYC across the bridge maybe a 30 minute mishap if it happens when 2 minutes away from work. Green is the way FSD keeps trying to do the exit, Orange is how I normally do it to not miss the exit. Tricky spot even for me but unfortunately can't risk FSD taking me to NYC by missing it.

View attachment 1034276
Disengage and send a voice report starting with “Safety Bug report” and explain it in clear words what is the safety issue and how to address it. It worked for me in a very similar situation in TX

Not quite.

schadenfreude /shäd′n-froi″də/

noun​

1. Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.
  2. Malicious enjoyment derived from observing someone else's misfortune.
  3. Delight in another person's misfortune.
I thought looking in the rear view mirror with a psychopathically gigantic smile while the person honking is having a mental breakdown counts. Right?

What if there is a car in front of you or traffic that is slowing down? What if there is a pedestrian about to cross? What if there is a turn or a curve upcoming? What if there is a lower speed section approaching? It's stuff like this why the heuristics approach didn't work quite so well.

Plus the complaint seems to be that it's not respecting the posted limit that it detects. Although even in that case there are variables like deceleration profile if slowing down from a higher speed section and also taking into account flow of traffic (whether it is for driver experience of not holding up traffic or whether it is to prevent false positives for example when the map has the wrong speed limit mapped or when the vision sign reading read the sign incorrectly).

That won't compile *shrug* ;)
If speed < TargetSpeed (
Set Acceleration = ON;
)
if (NextCarDistance < FollowDistance
|| (VRU == TRUE)
|| (TargetSpeed > 500ftTargetSpeed)
|| (PassengerScreaming == TRUE)){
Set Acceleration = OFF;
}
//*shrug* seems pretty easy to me!

A. You drive slower and end up arriving a few minutes later.

---> Oh no, anyway.

C. The person behind you, in a fit of rage rear ends you.

---> Enjoy your new Tesla.

D. The person behind you, passes you, and a rock chips your car.

---> Hit the record button and sue their insurance for emotional suffering.

C. The person behind you, passes you, and nothing happens.

---> Nothing Happens
Joking aside, 12.3 would generally drive 5-10 MPH under the speed limit. Most people here drive about 5 MPH over so that meant 10-15 MPH slower than the prevailing traffic.
1. That’s slow enough to potentially be dangerous.
2. Many roads are 2 lane roads meaning passing is difficult or illegal.
3. Part of being a good driver is being courteous. Arbitrarily driving significantly slower qualifies as discourteous to me.
4. If the speed limit is 40 and FSD is going 30 that means it takes me 25% longer to get to my destination.

Some people have been reporting that FSD overshoots by 5-10 MPH. That could be dangerous and/or result in a ticket. I doubt Elon would pay.

FSD 12.3.3 has done better for me but still often drives too slow. It’s all very odd because speed regulation is something that FSD has had very few problems with up until this point. I’m guessing because prior to v12 it was all heuristic-based where as now it’s machine learning fuzzy logic.

Dude - how exactly do you checkout, checkin, build & test in 10 minutes - something like FSD ? Remember a lot of us here have decades of experience in "commercial software application that makes many millions billions of $$ " ;)

Or are you the type who checks in code that won't build and never heard of testing ;)

ps : Ofcourse if you are making other changes to the same code, the marginal extra time might be 10 minutes ....
I literally just said the code change would be 10 minutes. But everything else you mentioned wouldn't take much longer.

For the record: new branch takes 45 seconds in Git.
Code change 5-10 minutes.
Checkin 20 seconds.
Review code change on Azure: about 1 minute.
PR creation: 1 minute.
Jira entry: 1 minute.
Test? 5 minutes.

If it takes you longer than this, you're probably used to "Agile" development, which is anything but agile.

What if there is a car in front of you or traffic that is slowing down? What if there is a pedestrian about to cross? What if there is a turn or a curve upcoming? What if there is a lower speed section approaching? It's stuff like this why the heuristics approach didn't work quite so well.

Plus the complaint seems to be that it's not respecting the posted limit that it detects. Although even in that case there are variables like deceleration profile if slowing down from a higher speed section and also taking into account flow of traffic (whether it is for driver experience of not holding up traffic or whether it is to prevent false positives for example when the map has the wrong speed limit mapped or when the vision sign reading read the sign incorrectly).

If [all inputs] = nominal
AND
If speed < targetspeed (

Set acceleration = ON;
)

*shrug* seem pretty easy to me!"

FIFY

Can I has coding jerb nao?

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
Disengage and send a voice report starting with “Safety Bug report” and explain it in clear words what is the safety issue and how to address it. It worked for me in a very similar situation in TX
Will try it out tomorrow morning on my commute and see! Hopefully it's something I can check within the month before trial expires to see if they actually take note.

Reactions: enemji
So you don't have any FSD on your car, just Autopilot. I thought Tesla had switched to putting it everywhere so people could subscribe. What car do you have?

TeslaFi isn't showing an FSD version for 2024.8.7, and I took that to mean that they hadn't figured it out yet. They need to put in an explicit "none" when they know.
I’ve got a 22 MYLR. I didn’t buy the FSD but I did subscribe a couple of times during months in which I’d take road trips. That was when driving on city streets was in beta only. I also have the updates set to ‘advanced’ which downloads and installs as soon as possible

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394