Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want my car to be able to put itself in and take itself out of the garage.
I did that all the time with my older Model Y that had ultra sonics with Summon. Summon isn't available yet with newer cars.
I was thinking the same thing. The rub is that the garage may be too far from the street for the car to recognize it as a parking spot. Does AutoPark work into a space that's behind the car, as opposed to beside it?

I've done this, but my Model Y does not recognize it as a parking space..
There is a YouTube video of an owner who literally did a chalk outline of a car in their driveway. Then slowly drove by and the chaulk markings were picked up by Autopark and he used Auto Assist.

I would expect a by product of Tesla's RoboTaxi development to allow for a Pin placement for where you will be when picked up and Pin placement on where you need to have the car parked to let you out. That will need to be done on a mobile device for the person requesting the RoboTaxi but no reason a similar capability couldn't be added to the car's display for every FSD owner.

Just finished a 25 mile road in Maine on some smaller roads between towns. Never driven the roads before. Not once did auto max go too fast. A couple of times a few mph over the speed limit but that is expected. However twice auto max was way too slow when the speed limit displayed was to low. One time 10mph, the second 25mph. 1 disengagement at an oddly constructed roundabout. I'm not sure if the car wasn't correct but it felt like it was going to be awkward so I took not chances.
My spouse now just expects I'm going to use FSD. Not that she is thrilled with how it works but now rarely grabs onto the door handle when she gets nervous. :)

3 days ago automax was way too fast. Something changed as others have mentioned.

It's obvious hard to experiment on yellow lights, but so far my experience with v12.3.3 it has never gone through a yellow light. I have not had a yellow where I was 100 or so feet and had it slam on the brakes, but that's not to say it won't do it.
Yeah just referencing the video posted earlier. Just shows an obvious instance of this, in response to the complaint that it slammed on the brakes for yellow lights. In this instance, it began the stop 25 feet before the line at 21mph. Stopping distance in dry conditions is about 12.9 feet for my car (1.1G). To stop in 25ft would require 0.6G. If it had begun slowing in 0.1s rather than 0.5s (like a very alert anticipatory human would), it would have had an additional 12.3 feet to stop, and would have required 0.4G. All abrupt unnecessarily strong stops. 0.4g begins to become manageable but is still too high.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 1.07.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 1.02.32 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
Well, I tried Chill and had to turn off Auto Set Speed Offset when I was in a 35 zone and the speed was still slowly climbing at 45. When I cancelled Auto, it showed a computed max speed of 52. I assume that's a bug, but I wasn't going to try to tell the police that when I got pulled over. I went back to relying on the posted limit plus 10%, and it did a pretty good job with that. They still need to fix those rocket launches from a standing start, though.
I had exactly same issue. When auto speed is off, I got max of 50 mph on a local 40 mph road for like 5 sec. I adjusted down to 40 myself. Looks like a bug.

I had exactly same issue. When auto speed is off, I got max of 50 mph on a local 40 mph road for like 5 sec. I adjusted down to 40 myself. Looks like a bug.
This is not directly caused by using manual speed, and autospeed ASSO mode will not fix this specific issue. Auto speed and manual behave the same way in this respect. However, manual mode allows you to control your maximum allowed speed relative to the detected limit, by using your set speed offset, and adjusting it on the fly if necessary. That's the "manual" part. Everything else is the same in both modes, and automatic (including deciding what speed to drive within the limits). You cannot control your set speed offset in ASSO mode; it is always 50%, and is automatically set that way (for a while I thought dialing the dial actually worked but it does not as long as you remain in ASSO mode).

On speed limit transitions to slower speeds, there could be a delay on speed reduction based on detection of the new limit and the delay in the system, and there may be no way to control that. Also there can be mis-detected limits (detected is higher than actual) which result in speeding. But same issue in both modes (ASSO vs. manual). Manual actually can help by starting at an initially lower speed, if the cap is set low enough - and crucially, it allows you to dial down (or up) as needed.

But for excursions of speed above a particular limit in the positive direction, on surface streets, manual mode will always be the same or better (will tend to be capped to a lower speed) than auto mode.

In the end the modes appear to be the same, the only difference is the set speed offset (which is +50% in auto/ASSO mode).

In manual mode you can see the offset and adjust it, but the "automatic" manual limit is +30% (you can dial it higher), so it is never as high as ASSO.

However, in most situations, when not capped by the limit in either mode, the behavior is identical between the modes.

The cap limit (the set speed offset + detected limit) does not appear to affect the approach to the cap limit significantly or the speed the car decides to drive, etc. (of course it will respect the cap in all cases; even after manual input, it will regen aggressively to get back to it).

Surface streets:
ASSO: +50% Offset
Manual: Manually adjustable up to +30%

Freeways limited access (reverts to v11 cap behavior, where it drives to the cap and the cap directly affects the speed the car decides to drive):
ASSO: +5%/+10%/+15% (based on driving style selection)
Manual: Manually adjustable up to +30%

I'm going to keep repeating this until we adjust above to match reality (if it's wrong), or until people figure out how it works. Blame Tesla, not me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dewg
I do wonder how the robotaxi is going to impact FSD.
I mean a $25k car with (by definition) FSD?
Am I right?
This is likely 2 different cars just using the same platform. Likely the robotaxi will be only for Tesla and NOT sold to the public. Tesla has probably abandoned the "consumer" owned robotaxi and we will continue to have L2 SFDS and just maybe with some L3 ODD thrown in.

This is likely 2 different cars just using the same platform. Likely the robotaxi will be only for Tesla and NOT sold to the public. Tesla has probably abandoned the "consumer" owned robotaxi and we will continue to have L2 SFDS and just maybe with some L3 ODD thrown in.
Wrong, my MS is already L5, just ask my kids!

Yeah just referencing the video posted earlier. Just shows an obvious instance of this, in response to the complaint that it slammed on the brakes for yellow lights. In this instance, it began the stop 25 feet before the line at 21mph. Stopping distance in dry conditions is about 12.9 feet for my car (1.1G). To stop in 25ft would require 0.6G. If it had begun slowing in 0.1s rather than 0.5s (like a very alert anticipatory human would), it would have had an additional 12.3 feet to stop, and would have required 0.4G. All abrupt unnecessarily strong stops. 0.4g begins to become manageable but is still too high.

View attachment 1036269View attachment 1036270
I'll keep my eye on it and be prepared.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I do wonder how the robotaxi is going to impact FSD.
I mean a $25k car with (by definition) FSD?
Am I right?

Early talk was a high subscription plus Tesla would receive a % cut of revenue. Probably similar to a franchise with lots of rules and fees.

Assuming a lot of things fall into place, it would be a good opportunity for Tesla to finally put their money where their mouth is and insure it.

Early talk was a high subscription plus Tesla would receive a % cut of revenue. Probably similar to a franchise with lots of rules and fees.

Assuming a lot of things fall into place, it would be a good opportunity for Tesla to finally put their money where their mouth is and insure it.
Trying to imagine Anyone actually wanting to pimp their car out for the night to pick up drunks and other to make 10$. As anal as most are about a micro panel gap imagine cleaning urine out of your back seat weekly for lunch money? Maybe as a Frunk only Uber eats pick up transport, but for strangers, heck no.

Even if it did work, I'm sure that doing it myself would be faster.

Here is the system I use. I've since added lines to the driveway also, but tape degrades and paint fades.

I just got back from taking a test drive in a 2024 Model Y with my brother in law. When we got back to the dealer the parking space lit up on the screen so I had him tap the spot and press start. The car promptly backed into the space perfectly. It wasn't quick but it really wasn't slow, either. I would say average among human drivers, depending on experience. It was very impressive.

Today's email from Tesla:

You now have access to Full Self-Driving (Supervised). With human-like responsiveness, your Tesla can assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving such as navigating lane changes and roundabouts as well as managing your speed along your route.​

Which is funny because we already have FSD, I generally take over for roundabouts, and the thing v12 does least well is manage speed. It does well with lane changes, though, and I'm still a fan.
Actually V12 seems pretty good at roundabouts for me.