Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day there was some doubt about FSD struggling on freeway to maintain within its lane. Even though freeway is reportedly still using the v11 stack it seems vehicle controls (decel, accel, steering) are universally using NNs.

That's not maintaining a lane, it's exiting, so there is a transition between the two systems, which people up thread mentioned has been a problem. That's different than for example it struggling to stay inside a lane while fully in the highway.

NHTSA requires the slowing and stopping before lights and signs

This requirement is not related to the current complaints, at all! Not the least little bit related. It's not the same thing at all. Put a different way: completely different thing. Everyone is on board with the car stopping at lights and signs as legally required.

I'm sure Alan would have an absolute fit with how soon it starts slowing down and how long it takes to get to the stop line and actually stop.)
Yes, it is very annoying. It's nearly completely solvable in typical cases by pressing the accelerator, fortunately, with no jerking at all.

Not a single hard braking event. (I don't think this has ever happened on this route before with FSD driving.) It's great.
Yeah, we'll see if that persists. As you know it can vary greatly from drive to drive based on very specific conditions (traffic, speeds, conditions, light timing, etc.). Not enough data for me with stopping yet with 12.3.4; just a short drive and I used my current strategy of pressing the accelerator to prevent any hard braking, which works great in most cases. So I could have masked any improvements.

Look forward to letting it do its thing tomorrow and we'll see! Seems like something that could be tuned without neural net modifications. Super unclear how that would be done, of course.

The left screenshot shows a dark black line at the end of the blue path indicating FSD was planning to stop probably because the light was red.
No. You grabbed screenshots a couple frames too early.
To be clear, my earlier references to "0.5s reaction time" were based on the regen bar in the yellow light video, not any visualizations. The regen bar is a fairly instantaneous measure of car behavior, and represents car reaction time (to me). That yellow light video shows time 0.5 seconds. Since I was driving, I know that the car's intent was to stop at that yellow (since I stopped it from doing so), so it's a decent way to measure effective reaction time. However, I went back and looked at the planned path, and that seems even better since the regen bar has to blend in the reaction (which takes a few frames). So actual reaction time is closer to 0.35 seconds. Effective reaction time still appears to be closer to 0.5s (onset of major braking).
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.58.25 PM.png

Back to this case:
As you pointed out and I checked above in the yellow light case, blue path is a superior and accurate instantaneous representation of FSD intentions, but it can change at any moment. I went back and looked at it, and I was happy to see that the vehicle intent actually matched what I felt.
You can see in image 1 it extended the path before the light turned, and in image 2 as the light is turning the planned path extends further intending to follow the lead vehicle (based on yellow light case we know that was NOT in response to the light). It had no permanent intention of stopping at the red light; that is now 100% clear from video evidence.
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 9.29.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 9.29.43 PM.png

This image shows the scene 0.5 seconds after the green, the fastest known reaction time I have seen demonstrated (as discussed it may actually be slightly faster, 0.35 seconds, but effective time is 0.5 seconds):

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.19.51 PM.png

before it got there, it saw the green and maintained its acceleration without ever needing to decelerate for the stop.

As detailed above: Based on it being at 6mph, and more like 8mph at the earliest likely possible reaction moment (0.5 seconds after red), within just a couple feet of the line, as illustrated above, it never had any permanent intention to stop, even if the light had stayed red. It had done the commit and did not have plans to jam on the brakes if the light stayed red. It was going, d**m the torpedoes. I don't know why the path planner showed an initial plan to stop at the line - the acceleration did not match that intent, so it seems that it overrode its own planning.

• Informative
Reactions: old pilot
Yes, it is very annoying. It's nearly completely solvable in typical cases by pressing the accelerator, fortunately, with no jerking at all.
If it continues to drive like this there is nothing to solve, I think the slow gradually stopping I experienced yesterday is perfect. (Automated driving behavior is never going to make everyone happy, someone will always want it to drive differently.)

That's not maintaining a lane, it's exiting, so there is a transition between the two systems, which people up thread mentioned has been a problem. That's different than for example it struggling to stay inside a lane while fully in the highway.

As I mentioned the ping-pong happens on the freeway as well.

But you are saying the transition happens before entering the off ramp exit?

Here's a v12.3.3 freeway exit video where we see the transition after entering the off ramp (@6:56) - the long blue path changes to a shorter v12 blue path.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: swedge
Yeah it does this. Sometimes it runs on top of the bumps. I’ve seen it do that to give other vehicles a wider berth (good) but it probably just does it randomly too.

Definitely good to see.
I was really enjoying FSD until it started drifting in the lane, over a 90 mile drive it gradually positioned itself farther and farther left in the lane until it was driving on the yellow line and I disengaged. Still did it when I reengaged, whether I was in the left or right lane, still on the left boundary. The next trip, it was fine for about a half hour then started drifting right until I disengaged. At least Autosteer stays centered, though it is annoying how it drifts right at highway exits and merges.

Reactions: VanFriscia
On my 2400 round trip to east texas to view the eclipse (luckily successful), the highway stack did beautifully on interstate highways.
No pingpong, passed slower cars automatically, got out of the left lane if a faster car was approaching from behind.
While on regular highways, it was like a lost soul. I wish I had known at the time how to check if it was using V11 or the V12 stack.

The other day there was some doubt about FSD struggling on freeway to maintain within its lane. Even though freeway is reportedly still using the v11 stack it seems vehicle controls (decel, accel, steering) are universally using NNs.

It's doing this on FSD too. My main drag is lined with concrete barriers for new lane construction and it gets way too close for comfort.

was very efficiency minded, and would start slowing down very early for stops, coasting in with the hope that the light would change before he got there. And probably pissing people off behind him.

If it continues to drive like this there is nothing to solve, I think the slow gradually stopping I experienced yesterday is perfect.

Perfect! How considerate of those needing to turn, make left turns, etc. Very helpful to flow of traffic to obstruct turns prior to intersections.

I was really enjoying FSD until it started drifting in the lane, over a 90 mile drive it gradually positioned itself farther and farther left in the lane until it was driving on the yellow line and I disengaged. Still did it when I reengaged, whether I was in the left or right lane, still on the left boundary. The next trip, it was fine for about a half hour then started drifting right until I disengaged. At least Autosteer stays centered, though it is annoying how it drifts right at highway exits and merges.

The v11 highway stack isn't that great. I had a scenario where fsd was changing into another lane when another car from the other side was getting into the same lane and if I hadn't disengaged, my car would have hit the other car which was another Tesla. Not sure if the other Tesla was using fsd or not. :)

I went back and looked at the planned path, and that seems even better since the regen bar has to blend in the reaction (which takes a few frames). So actual reaction time is closer to 0.35 seconds
Yeah, given that the path visualization can change every frame but seems to have around 11 frame / 0.35s delay, it'll be interesting if people notice this affecting other behaviors of 12.x? For example, is the decision wobble of making a lane change or getting into a turn lane somewhat caused by the neural networks switching prediction to return to the original lane with 0.35s latency? (E.g., from time/frames 1-10, the turn signal has been on; frames 11-20 12.x starts switching lanes; frame 21+ car wobbles returning to lane to "fix" this lane drift.)

This reaction time latency combined with insufficient training to understand appropriate stop/yield and pedestrian/walk signal behaviors seemed to contribute to your disengagement. Although potentially the observed latency is actually longer than the time it takes 12.x to process photons to control end-to-end as it could be carrying over human reaction time from training.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Perfect! How considerate of those needing to turn, make left turns, etc. Very helpful to flow of traffic to obstruct turns prior to intersections.
I agree there should be a better "standard" stopping process - one that makes the best use of regen and stops close enough to the stop line or lead car. As it is now it's too abrupt initially with too long of a semi-coasting phase followed by too long spacing from the desired stopping point. No reason this can't be adjusted to meet the expectations of most drivers.

And if this involves a stop sign then quickly evaluate the situation and stop pussyfooting around and turn already! Don't know what drove them to incorporate this maddening stop sign dance... :mad:

You might want to recalibrate your cameras.

Reactions: rlsd and Dennisis
interesting, yesterday, im in a line of vehicles approaching a light, SFSD is slightly tailgatting, but were going slow, road has some sand debris
vehicle in front of me slams on the brakes and SFSD slams on the brakes and we skid, no accident, but a little crazy, SFSD should have just hung back, more space, no slamming on brakes
come on Tesla, fix this
Good to know. Next time my car tailgates, I will disengage.

Reactions: beachmiles
I realized that when taking the exit from the highway FSD aligns itself to the exit lane markings to stay in the middle of the exit lane and then takes the exit. That is why it feels like it is taking a late decision for the exit.

As it is now it's too abrupt initially with too long of a semi-coasting phase followed by too long spacing from the desired stopping point.
Yep. Also on occasion the painful coasting phase will have a very slight jitter to it, which is perceptible. Has been noted in prior versions. It’s very odd. I am not sure how this could be learned, since I don’t think a human would be capable of producing this, unless very intentionally. Maybe quantization error and the coefficients need more bits? 😆

Surely @MP3Mike will agree that phenomenon is not normal.

Maybe their simulator for producing driving clips is producing jitter inadvertently?

Last edited: