Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Main problems with 12.3.4 from an original 10.2 tester(this is on the highway and these problems have been here for a while, so yes, this isn’t really V12, but hear me out)

1. FSD follows ridiculously far on the highway. In heavy traffic doing around 60 mph in the left lane, you can’t leave a ginormous gap between you and the car ahead without getting honked at and passed in the right lane. It also tries way too aggressively to maintain this absurd following distance. When someone passes you on the right, (which, again, is going to happen because they assume YOU are the slow car, when in reality you are just following at an insane distance) and then gets in the left lane in front of you, FSD slams on the breaks in an attempt to maintain this distance. Unusable-disengage.

2. Also on the highway. At night, in dark situations, FSD continuously flashes and sounds an annoying “one or more side cameras are blocked or blinded, wait for visibility” or whatever. EVERY time it comes it makes an annoying “beep beep beep” chime.

I believe I have figured out what causes it. The left fender camera can see cars on the other side of the highway when they are there. However, in the absence of these car’s taillights, the car assumes that the left front fender camera is blocked. When cars appear again, the message goes away. It then returns as soon as these cars pass out of view.

Changing to regular autopilot gives a similar message under the same condition. However, this is an “orange level” message that doesn’t come with a sound so it’s much less annoying . Changing to autopilot is also how I know that the left front fender camera is the one it thinks is blinded. The message autopilot gives tells you the specific camera.

Until this is fixed, FSD is unusable at night on the highway.

What should be the threshold for bumping the major version?
As someone who has published my own software and had total control of revision numbering, I never got past version 1. The first number should represent distinct differences (typically new layers built on top of the foundational parts) in look & feel, and of course functionality. Anything short of that is fundamentally a bug fix or minor refinement.

I had some vague ideas for a version 2 of my own stuff, but life happened and that didn't. Oh well.

I see Musk's comments of this nature as pure hype, and we all know how seriously his hype is now being taken.

You know I like you, (not in a prison sort of way), but you are starting to complain more than usual, and just wanted to know if you need Us, in the Tmc community, to step in a have an "intervention", just for you...?
Thanks, although a little disappointed that there will be no slamming in the slammer. 🤔

Did have a VERY good drive this morning, and went for an 8 mile run after. Was a fairly early morning (7AM-8AM) drive with some midtown, downtown, westside and a little GA Tech. Only had 2 disengagements and both were trying to turn on closed streets. One has been closed for over 2 years. But I'm still skeptical over the ability to get ahead on lane selection. This morning was of course LOW traffic.

A little funny was at a Red light with an APD 🚔 behind me and one of two Reds was out. The street was angled with 2 other streets and it turned green for one of the other streets and was angled so I could see the green light. My car started letting of break and inching, then braking, then repeating getting closer and closer with me muttering "don't you do it you *******:mad:". It somehow held off actually trying to go until the light change and I'm not in jail.

Also with my drive and run I didn't see even 1 Waymo for the first time since they got here Tuesday.:oops:

12.3.4 is very sub-par. Drove 800 miles yesterday from Fl to NC. and discovered several issues:
1) vehicle now periodically "hugs" the left side of the line (picture below) with no vehicles in adjacent line,
often right on or slightly left of the line....anyone see this issue or perhaps I need a calibration
2) this revision often doesn't align with speed limit signs and is too slow to adjust.
Yesterday, all 65 mph signs were never recognized by the system.
55mph & 70 generally OK.
55 or below, mostly recognized but took much too long to slow the vehicle down (which given our route through middle of small town Florida leaves you highly vulnerable to tickets.....this revision is similar to one several back that never adjusted properly. Needed prompt to get vehicle to targeted speed. ie target is 65mph but it lags at 62 mph
3) you need to keep your head straight ahead like a crash dummy. look left or right very briefly for a turn or look at your middle screen immediate warning.

edit: local driving--still has problems when road goes from 3 lanes to 2, 2 lanes to 1, often staying in wrong lane. Hits same median in our community unless I intervene on a left turn.
View attachment 1040186
No sure why this would be bad. Personally I prefer that it would hug the inside lane on a sweeping turn. For me it would be wrong to hug the right line especially if a car was there. Prefer to give as much clearance as possible personally.

I wonder why not call 12.4 as the next version 13? I don't think anything has been assigned for number 13 yet (unlike single stack 11.x that led to odd 10.69-type versioning), so I guess it's to give a hint that it's still fundamentally the same 12.x end-to-end architecture? What should be the threshold for bumping the major version?
Whenever Elon argues with himself what it should be called, the improvements are not visible to us. May be internally there are a lot of significant changes ….

No sure why this would be bad. Personally I prefer that it would hug the inside lane on a sweeping turn. For me it would be wrong to hug the right line especially if a car was there. Prefer to give as much clearance as possible personally.
I drive same MS, it absolutely sometimes hugs the left yellow line on some corners.
Never with opposing traffic in my experience, but just weird. Almost like Elon took the wheel and said "it's my road and I don't give a fu.. what people think"

Elon argues with himself what it should be called,
He’s kidding around here, of course. It’s a meaningless Tweet in regards to capabilities- he is not making any statement on that.

All meaningless, just something he jokes about:

Obviously 12.4 will be more significant - that is clear from the number. And as has been said many times here, it might have retraining, so I would expect an actual change to driving behavior - not something that has happened with any of the 12.3.x releases (other than basic tweaks which don’t affect behavior other than speed, etc.). All the 12.3.x drive exactly the same way, as those who use it on the same routes know. Makes the click-gathering videos exploring the “differences” kind of funny. The AP team at Tesla must get pretty good laughs about it.

Last edited:
Question for those in the know... Does FSD v12.x factor in the rear camera feed in how much it can regen/brake coming up to traffic lights when its yellow?

I had couple hard slowdowns for yellows which most humans would fly through. In these cases there was no one behind me so no risk of getting rear ended however I felt it could be dangerous if I had cars behind me. Question is if FSD would behave differently if it noticed cars behind me, especially some tailgating me etc.

Anyone had experience to compare both scenarios? Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone had experience to compare both scenarios? Thanks for your feedback.
Only one anecdote for you:

I was pulling up to a red light with a stopped car in my lane, and a lunatic tight on my rear bumper. FSD was more assertive about closing the gap to the stopped car in front of me, and ended up closer to its bumper. In other words, you can apparently bully FSD.

Lots of reports (though this was .8 so even that will not save us) of the USB Dashcam breaking recently. Mine's broken too. Comes and goes. Just a software issue presumably since it showed up all of a sudden and at the same time as these reports.
I had that happen, but I switched removable drives, reformatted the replacement using that car's UI and Dashcam has been working for a week so far. The interesting thing is that when I loaded the original drive on my PC, it was perfectly fine and had saved ten videos from Sentry Mode.🤔

up - the thumb drive is in the glovebox and I have Sentry Mode disabled when at home (for deep sleep).
Nope. No choice of port location of course.
had that happen, but I switched removable drives, reformatted the replacement using that car's UI and Dashcam has been working for a week so far. T
Nope.

Mine works sometimes; it is just a software bug.

1) vehicle now periodically "hugs" the left side of the line (picture below) with no vehicles in adjacent line,
often right on or slightly left of the line....anyone see this issue or perhaps I need a calibration
2) this revision often doesn't align with speed limit signs and is too slow to adjust.
Yesterday, all 65 mph signs were never recognized by the system.
55mph & 70 generally OK.

Just chiming in that speed limit detection is noticeably worse for me too. 65 mph signs in particular, strangely enough. Annoying on rural CO roads.

(Sometimes I wonder what is Tesla doing. Speed limit detection should be a dramatically simpler AI problem than many other things they’re doing and after 5 years of HW3 vehicles on the road it still doesn’t work well? Why??)

I also have a lot of complaints about in lane positioning, both hugging the side unnecessarily and not offsetting away from danger (oncoming cars, adjacent large vehicles, etc). Very inconsistent. Sometimes it’s 100% perfect.

Reactions: X Fan and DrGriz