Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was inevitable because of the subscription drop.

It looks like Tesla is resetting to the reality that FSD is a Level 2 driver assist and perhaps a Level 3 system on highways, but that's it. As such, it no longer has any connection with robotaxis, and cannot be priced as such. The August announcement may well be a statement that they will be cranking up the sensors and processing power on a new vehicle that is dedicated to being a commercial robotaxi. Given that it will exist to make money, it can cost a lot more than a consumer vehicle.

It'll be interesting to see how they structure the economics of the vehicle, and what hardware they think is appropriate for a Level 5 vehicle after several years working with FSD, especially now with time on V12.

Apparently few were out right purchasing it. And at $8k the subscription still seems to be a better deal given the flexibility and break even after almost 7 years.

No worries though. FSD will pay for itself and then some. :)

Screenshot 2024-04-21 063822.png

Arguably he's not wrong; all of these prices are in the noise floor, compared to the value when it becomes Robotaxi capable.

As a Robotaxi L4/L5 system, it performs extremely poorly, so into the noise floor it goes.

Applicable here, too:
"One of the biggest mistakes people make, and I’m guilty of it too, is wishful thinking. You want something to be true, even if it isn’t true. And so you ignore the real truth because of what you want to be true. This is a very difficult trap to avoid" -EM

I would guess $12k or 15k is closer to -3dB than a price noise floor given Elon's plans to take a sizeable revenue percentage and be a robotaxis competitor.

The current FSD price is still too high. And in the future increased out of pocket costs will be related to hardware via improved sensors and added redundancy. For now the TSLA AI team hasn't publicly acknowledged the need for supplemental sensors or proven they are capable of sensor integration.

And as more people experience FSD in the months to come, I wouldn't be surprised if they thumb their nose. It needs to be an effective, comfortable, convenience and not introduce so many stressors, safety risks.

Apparently few were out right purchasing it. And at $8k the subscription still seems to be a better deal given the flexibility and break even after almost 7 years.

Did you forget the /s?

Subscription is still better since it can be suspended when the car is not being used.

Why wouldn't your car be used every single month?

1. a holiday without your car,
2. You suffer a broken leg or have surgery and can't drive for a couple of months,
3. The car is in the shop/driveway awaiting parts for a repair

Or, if you total the car, you lose part of the month you paid for until you cancel the subscription. If you total your car in between 'special one-time offers' to transfer FSD to a new car, you are $$$$OL, so sad, too bad.

Finally, if you decide to upgrade to a new tesla within the 80 months (for example, a second kid currently makes the M3 a bit too cramped for you), you can't take FSD with you unless elon blesses you with a special 'one-time' transfer offer.

And for those who live where there are potholes or heavy weather, FSD currently can't be used daily for days/weeks at a time. Why pay for it when you can't use it?

I would guess $12k or 15k is closer to -3dB than a price noise floor given Elon's plans to take a sizeable revenue percentage and be a robotaxis competitor.

The current FSD price is still too high. And in the future increased out of pocket costs will be related to hardware via improved sensors and added redundancy. For now the TSLA AI team hasn't publicly acknowledged the need for supplemental sensors or proven they are capable of sensor integration.

And as more people experience FSD in the months to come, I wouldn't be surprised if they thumb their nose. It needs to be an effective, comfortable, convenience and not introduce so many stressors, safety risks.
12-15k is to high (actually 8k now) but in my view that was their point. They do not Want anyone to own it. Owning it creates a long term liability to Tesla for any considered update or direction change as many maintain the “entitlement” strategy. Like most All software company the money is in a subscription model. Don’t like it, leave. They are owed nothing and no liability. If even 1 million subscribe in a month that’s 10 Million a pop. That’s the path Tesla wants to be on.

Reactions: kabin
12-15k is to high (actually 8k now) but in my view that was their point. They do not Want anyone to own it. Owning it creates a long term liability to Tesla for any considered update or direction change as many maintain the “entitlement” strategy. Like most All software company the money is in a subscription model. Don’t like it, leave. They are owed nothing and no liability. If even 1 million subscribe in a month that’s 10 Million a pop. That’s the path Tesla wants to be on.

George Carlin was right. :)

Screenshot 2024-04-21 073717.png

• Funny
Reactions: tmoz
Applicable here, too:
"One of the biggest mistakes people make, and I’m guilty of it too, is wishful thinking. You want something to be true, even if it isn’t true. And so you ignore the real truth because of what you want to be true. This is a very difficult trap to avoid" -EM
Like the B-pillar cameras would be sufficient :)

Reactions: DrGriz
Did you forget the /s?

Subscription is still better since it can be suspended when the car is not being used.

And for those who live where there are potholes or heavy weather, FSD currently can't be used daily for days/weeks at a time. Why pay for it when you can't use it?
We absolutely cannot use FSD on icy roads with sharp curves, which is most of our daily driving in the winter. It's pointless because the car takes those curves too fast even when it's dry. And potholes. And, for us, the maps FSD uses are horribly wrong where we live so it makes lots of mistakes. For some reason the maps are worse than whatever AP is using (I can tell by the imaginary speed limit signs the car uses, which are different in the same spot.)

So, yes. Subscription only, or free, makes the only sense for us. As FSD stands right now, it's barely worth it under the best conditions, sometimes.

Why "insane" since EAP was priced @$6k so $2K is just the difference between them? So that makes it exactly the same price as buying FSD now.🤔

That is a LOT better offering than for people who bought FSD @$12K last week. :oops:
I'm definitely regretting not waiting 4 years for these fire sale prices. Finally the $2k price came back (the one that I missed the first time)! Could have saved myself $1k and not had to deal with posting profusely about the various problems with FSD. Would have saved everyone else a bunch of time too.

• Funny
Reactions: cyborgLIS
Nope. No choice of port location of course.

Nope.

Mine works sometimes; it is just a software bug.
I'm not clear as to what you are saying no to. If not "finding" the drive was solely a software bug, more Tesla owners would be complaining about it. I opt for an explanation that the issue is a combination of a software bug and certain factors, including not only the condition of the drive itself, but also the Tesla model, the firmware version and other attached USB devices.

Like those insurance big brother apps, monitoring us to give a discount, really forcing us to use to keep our rates reasonable, opt out and they Jack your rates
Imagine a future where insurance discounts our insurance if we use FSD, really forcing us to drive with FSD to keep rates from being jacked

I like FSD, but a future could be coming where we are not allowed to drive and must use FSD
It could happen

Nope. That was when Autopilot V1 (mobileye) was released. Then came AP V2. First version of FSD was released in 2019.
My salesperson told me that Elon was going to demonstrate a NY to LA driverless trip soon. That was in early 2015 when I bought my model S.
No label was given to this feat, but neverthesless, that is what the sales person told me.

Surely Elon is willing to give a nice trade in value for our FSD equipped Tesla's. Oh that's right, FSD has no trade in value!!! What the?! 🤣
Of course it has no trade-in value. Why would you expect otherwise? Since it's software, Tesla has an infinite inventory of FSD upgrades at zero cost to them, so how could it have any trade-in value? You might as well try to sell your copy of Windows back to Microsoft.

I'm not clear as to what you are saying no to. If not "finding" the drive was solely a software bug, more Tesla owners would be complaining about it. I opt for an explanation that the issue is a combination of a software bug and certain factors, including not only the condition of the drive itself, but also the Tesla model, the firmware version and other attached USB devices.
Yes. That seems clear! There are a lot of complaints about it. I am sure with analysis one could figure out the commonalities!

Nope just meant your drive behavior did not match mine.