Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little later the motorcycle and his buddy came blowing by us lane splitting while we were doing 80.

Absolutely necessary, and legal, in SoCal when traffic is just crawling.

In SoCal 80 might be considered 'traffic crawling' but I certainly don't.

As for legality, apparently Oregon motorcyclists have attempted a few times to get lane-splitting at low speed legalized and failed. (most recently according to a quick search was May 2023.)

The car moved a bit to the left and I thought, well that was good (although it might have been in response to a semi in the adjacent lane.) But then a second later as the cycles were receding in the distance, the car suddenly slowed way down and I had to goose it.

You probably don't remember, but if the car interpreted you as passing the semi in the next lane, current V11 (highway) behaviour is to slow down when beside the semi. I've seen that commented on multiple times and experienced it as well, and, as usual, this isn't consistent but common behaviour. So it might have been the semi and not delayed reaction to bikes that caused the slow down.

Question about leaving feedback when disengaging or reporting: (I'm not sure if those are the same thing.)
Left a message and saw the screen say “message sent.” The car is still at the airport, so it’ll be a few days before it will be connected to WiFi.

I only connect to wifi about 5 times a year when I download updates (no wifi at home which makes avoiding updates easy.)
Do my reported incidents just go nowhere? I have no way of seeing if they are uploading while I'm downloading since I can't monitor the data traffic on the public connection and given some of the posts commenting on the amount of data uploaded, I'd be surprised if that was happening (it would slow down the connection dramatically and my updates usually only take about 20 minutes to download.)

On the other hand, I have premium connectively. Could tesla be using that (either because it is paid, or just their base connectivity) to pull the feedback data?

Or is all my driving input (deliberate as well as unreported but captured by the car) simply being overwritten when whatever place it is stored becomes full and new reports overwrite the old?

Do my reported incidents just go nowhere? I have no way of seeing if they are uploading while I'm downloading since I can't monitor the data traffic on the public connection and given some of the posts commenting on the amount of data uploaded, I'd be surprised if that was happening (it would slow down the connection dramatically and my updates usually only take about 20 minutes to download.)
Yep. Last we heard they only held ~5 events to upload. (But that was with the video snapshot button that most of us don't have.) There was rumor that they increased the capacity.

On the other hand, I have premium connectively. Could tesla be using that (either because it is paid, or just their base connectivity) to pull the feedback data?
Highly doubtful. In fact, when Chuck talked to one of the Tesla drivers I think they mentioned to make sure to leave the vehicle awake and connected to WiFi to upload the data.

Or is all my driving input (deliberate as well as unreported but captured by the car) simply being overwritten when whatever place it is stored becomes full and new reports overwrite the old?
Yep, there is very little capacity to hold events, so they are just likely getting overwritten.

Do we know of any fatalities with 1 billion FSD miles driven? Or for that matter serious injuries?
Teasing out FSD deaths is difficult because all mainstream media refers to all driver assists on Tesla vehicles as "Autopilot".

There's that one claim of FSD involvement that came up in February, but which took place in 2022. The car drove into a tree and burned. The police officer talked about how the tire tracks showed the car being under power or whatever. That one.

They quoted from the Washington Post article:
In a recent interview, Rossiter said he believes that von Ohain was using Full Self-Driving, which — if true — would make his death the first known fatality involving Tesla’s most advanced driver-assistance technology.

Reactions: rlsd
Yep, there is very little capacity to hold events, so they are just likely getting overwritten.
Thanks for the informative answer.

Before we updated to V12 we were on V11.4.3 and my husband was still leaving recordings, I pointed out it was useless to do so since we were on such an old version of FSDb and we didn't upload our info anyway.

It will be sad for my husband to come to terms that his driving feedback will do nothing to build a better product. He's the one all-in on funding FSD development and liked to feel he was making a difference.

Me? I don't give a hoot so will just use the button to continue to swear at the steaming POS car. Yes, I know tesla won't hear it but it makes me feel better.

Reactions: old pilot
Teasing out FSD deaths is difficult because all mainstream media refers to all driver assists on Tesla vehicles as "Autopilot".

There's that one claim of FSD involvement that came up in February, but which took place in 2022. The car drove into a tree and burned. The police officer talked about how the tire tracks showed the car being under power or whatever. That one.

They quoted from the Washington Post article:

That one was also directly refuted by Elon. The vehicle was in a rural area (no signal to transmit data), and the data recording unit was destroyed in the fire, but Tesla was able to confirm that the FSD Beta firmware was never downloaded to that employee's car in the first place:

Also confirmed by Rohan Patel:

Any reason why you didn't attempt to answer the actual question?
I have no idea if there have been any deaths. I guess probably not because of the SGO but also doesn’t guarantee it.

Remember you can’t compare these miles driven to standard miles driven. It just can’t be done.

I think it probably makes some types of driving safer, but I really have no idea and unfortunately we don’t have any published data to attempt to determine the answer to this important question.

Last edited:
Any reason why you didn't attempt to answer the actual question? Do we know of any fatalities with 1 billion FSD miles driven? Or for that matter serious injuries?

The run rate is now another billion miles driven every 68 days.
Tesla FSD users pass 1.3 billion cumulative miles

National average is 1.24 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. (2023 -Q2)
NHTSA Estimates Traffic Fatalities Continued to Decline in the First Half of 2023 | NHTSA

Of course we'll never know until TSLA opens up their FSD statistics vault for public review. It's fair to assume things are far worse than TSLA currently claims.

Of course we'll never know until TSLA opens up their FSD statistics vault for public review. It's fair to assume things are far worse than TSLA currently claims.
I'm not so sure that's fair, at least not when characterized as "far" worse. A bit worse, sure. But if there were a slew of fatalities or something, that would be tough to keep under wraps, especially with the vitriol of MSM and shorts regarding events like that...

Reactions: FSDtester#1
OTOH, we know he's timeline-challenged, but then delivers eventually...which in the case of L4/5, if Telsa finally pulls it off, will have been worth the wait. "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer." Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
I know, Elon is a Bullsh$ter that delivers. ;) So he manages to make everyone both right/happy 😂 and wrong/unhappy.😭 But boy can he hype while not understanding what a basic timeline actually is. Guess he missed "How to read a Calendar" day in 2ed grade.😂

• Funny
Reactions: lzolman and rlsd
Stock analyst Toni Sacconaghi was on CNBC this morning (not a TSLA bull). Said he's been driving FSD the last 3 weeks and FSD has made good progress but has "every daily limitations," "still a long ways to go." He thinks:

- full self driving will take 5-10 years,
- it isn't clear that TSLA will be the only company solving it,
- automotive innovation (premium features) are almost always priced away due to global competition and eventually become standard features.

I wasn't asking about FSD stats in general just if anyone knew if there were any fatalities and serious injuries. Fatalities would likely make the press. I haven't seen any reporting in the press or this forum of a fatality. A simple question.

Reactions: JB47394
Stock analyst Toni Sacconaghi was on CNBC this morning (not a TSLA bull). Said he's been driving FSD the last 3 weeks and FSD has made good progress but has "every daily limitations," "still a long ways to go." He thinks:

- full self driving will take 5-10 years,
- it isn't clear that TSLA will be the only company solving it,
- automotive innovation (premium features) are almost always priced away due to global competition and eventually become standard features.
Could be right ......BUT.......a stock analyst is NOT an engineer or scientist. So they have NO professional expertise or insight in the implementation or application of future technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: cusetownusa