Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD v9.0 in Australia is just a con isn't it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I'm talking about bog standard metal non-electronic 80km/h Road Work signs on poles at the side of the road. There were 3 to 4 of these on each side of the motorway in both directions.

They pretty much looked like this: 80km ROAD WORK 900x1745mm CLASS 1 - ROAD SIGNS | Hi-Vis Mining
Thanks for the clarification. That's weird as mine seems to cope with them fine. I am in country Victoria and it has no trouble interpreting temporary road work signs like you have linked in rural areas.

1626411091485.png

It also has no problem with signs like this. where the visualiser momentarily displays it as 40 before the screen image changes to the circle with diagonal line to indication end of speed restriction. OTOH coming in to a town where it might say "60 ahead" the car will slow at this sign instead of the subsequent "60" sign. But I like this behaviour.

Out of interest, here is a gantry variable sign ex the dashcam.

1626411454316.png

Thanks for the clarification. That's weird as mine seems to cope with them fine. I am in country Victoria and it has no trouble interpreting temporary road work signs like you have linked in rural areas.
As Moa999 points out, it is most likely because it isn't a suburban road.

I don't remember it successfully picking up road work speed limits on suburban streets but I haven't paid a lot of attention. When I'm allowed to go more than 10km from home I'll pay more attention.

The other thing I doubt FSD to be able to pick up correctly is the "slow down for emergency vehicles" rule: Slow Down, Move Over and Give Space - Campaigns - NSW Centre for Road Safety

@moa999 Can you clarify what you mean by this. My car can interpret temporary roadworks speed signs in the country side, which are of course not suburban roads.
Tesla seems to categories as Freeway/Motorway.

And Suburban/other (probably shouldn't have used the word suburban) which is everything else.
I'd think any B roads and lower in the country are in the latter.

Not sure if it's to do with settings in Open Maps which is historically where they seek to have pulled some of their mapping data.

Tesla seems to categories as Freeway/Motorway.
In UK Tesla treats road types differently depending on catagory.

However the type determination is not very consistent and as a result you can't be certain how speed limit signs will be responded to

I assumed the logic was that on motorway catagory roads, you don't want to risk sudden slowing due to mis-reading of a sign or correct reading of an irrelevant sign.

I have come across motorway-like roads that aren't motorways were speed limit signs are acted on based on vision and also sections of motorways where speed signs also appear to be read. This could coincide with sections of motorway prone to incorrect slowing based on map data, so it could be these sections are close to roads with non-motorway catagories.

Reactions: moa999
speed signs in australia are active for all roads atm in aus afaik.

as for the FSD - i do find this a bummer. it is rather expensive and the first people are now on their way out with their cars i.e. selling them or just having very high milage cars. its not user based but car based. so you payed a lot of dosh for not much if anything in return...

speed signs in australia are active for all roads atm in aus afaik.

as for the FSD - i do find this a bummer. it is rather expensive and the first people are now on their way out with their cars i.e. selling them or just having very high milage cars. its not user based but car based. so you payed a lot of dosh for not much if anything in return...
Something cheap isnt cheap if you never get to use it.

Nope. I'm talking about bog standard metal non-electronic 80km/h Road Work signs on poles at the side of the road. There were 3 to 4 of these on each side of the motorway in both directions.

They pretty much looked like this: 80km ROAD WORK 900x1745mm CLASS 1 - ROAD SIGNS | Hi-Vis Mining
Have to be honest.. My car picks these up.. but I think you'd know that Autopilot ignores them unless you either touch the speed sign on the screen or hold the gear shifter down half way for like a second. then Autopilot updates the max speed.

Mine shows it, but autopilot ignores it.. (known limitation)

This is so disappointing, it is the same with the industry I work in (video/Broadcast) because the market is so big in US they often make everyone else a very low priority. Oh, you use 50Hz there, PAL vs NTSC etc. It is just there is so little demand to US huge market. Same with the voice commands

My thoughts on the FSD (the package sold by tesla) is that you are essentially paying to play, be a beta testa. Tesla is using your real world information to create a real usable product. However, I don't believe it's the one that people are paying for currently.
When Full self driving (the cars actually can and are legally allowed to drive fully by themselves) becomes a reality, Tesla will potentially have the biggest fleet of self driving cars on the planet. Many people will be happy to have their (who knows how old) car become a robotaxi part of the fleet. At this point, you, as an owner won't be liable for any crashes, Tesla will be.
At this point, Tesla starts to offer "transport as a service" (Tony Seba has some great YT vids on this), essentially a driverless Uber. Tesla will control this service in the same way Uber controls it's app. You can choose to have your car be part of the fleet, but will be on Tesla's terms, you wont be able to have it Self drive for another platform. You, as an owner will be responsible for charging and cleaning and maintenance.
For the majority of people (living in urban environments), Transport as a service will be cheaper than owning a private car, even a tesla.
I also believe at this point, Tesla will prioritise it's manufacturing to be for Transport as a service. Tesla will own it's own fleet of Robotaxi's phasing out the private owners robotaxi in preference for it's own cars where available.
I believe that the timing of this is the only real unknown here.

TLDR: By the time FSD becomes a reality, it'll be cheaper to hire than own.

So about 3 years rent vs buying up front with conversion to AUD. I wonder what the minimum rental term is.

There is no minimum contract based on the info in this US support page:

"You can cancel your subscription at any time through the Tesla app or your Tesla Account. Monthly subscription payments will not be prorated. After your cancellation is processed, you will continue to have FSD capability features for the remainder of the current billing period."

• Informative
Reactions: moa999