Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not talking about the people who have taken delivery to date... those are all employees or existing owners. They know what they signed up for with Tesla. I am talking about the people who order the $35k, + whatever FSD is, base model when they are pumping out 5k a week. The average american consumer is not patient....

Nah I'd they can keep those happy for at least another year. It took quite some time before S and X owners started complaining about FSD and first Model 3 will still go to the super fans first, only once the more regular customers get their cars, things will be different.

But I could be wrong.
Wanna bet they will talk about how many miles of "shadow mode" the cars have done?

They will say:
GM Cruise: 131,000 miles on Californian roads
Waymo: 352,500 miles on Californian roads
Tesla: 1,000,000,000 miles globally

That should be enough to keep most people happy and it isn't a lie.

That should be enough to keep most people happy IF it isn't a lie.

Fixed it for you!

Seriously, it would be good to see some evidence of the sort of data they are collecting in Shadow Mode. Originally, we saw some mapping data that Tesla had collected, and stats about where in the lane a human driver was most likely to be vs AP, so maybe something along those lines.

Well, there is a reason why I put the "shadow mode" in quotation marks. IMO shadow mode is just another lazy catch phrase, like neural net, or AI.

It sounds cool enough that nobody really questions it, but isn't really something only Tesla does. Mobile Eye has 2 million EyeQ4 cars on the road sending data back to HQ, but they don't call it shadow mode, or tweet about their neural net, or post AI pictures.

Last edited:
It'd be a shame if M3 owners never got FSD because they only have one screen and a really "minimalist" driving experience - according to Elon the car is designed like that because you "wont need it because your car will drive you everywhere" but IDK when thats going to happen.. Well if they can't I guess RIP Tesla..... I hope it doesn't come down to that. "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" and "Autonomy is a solved problem" - Elon Musk 2017

Reactions: zmarty
Here's a relevant xkcd comic:

xkcd: Here to Help

here_to_help_2x.png

I saw this one a while back and immediately thought of Elon Musk.

Do they? What production cars/brands are that?
My impression from the Mobileye CES presentations it that EyeQ4 rollout will start this year.
Intel’s Mobileye will have 2 million cars on roads building HD maps in 2018

Mobileye, and Intel post-acquisition, have been setting the stage for REM mapping for a while now. It’s set now to turn on the styes and begin collecting the data, which will be gathered by software build into its EyeQ4 system-on-a-chip. EyeQ4 entered volume production last year, and is now in place in two million cars on the road, including vehicles from BMW, VW, Nissan and more.

Maybe I misinterpreted this article, but I thought it meant it was on 2 million cars already.

It'd be a shame if M3 owners never got FSD because they only have one screen and a really "minimalist" driving experience - according to Elon the car is designed like that because you "wont need it because your car will drive you everywhere" but IDK when thats going to happen.. Well if they can't I guess RIP Tesla..... I hope it doesn't come down to that. "3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" and "Autonomy is a solved problem" - Elon Musk 2017
Musk was probably correct. The problem is solved. The problem left is executing the solution. E=mc2 is relatively simple for one man, making the first bomb was really hard taking tens of thousands and enormous money.

Reactions: googleiscoul
"The upcoming autonomous coast-to-coast drive will showcase a major leap forward for our self-driving technology. Additionally, an extensive overhaul of the underlying architecture of our software has now been completed, which has enabled a step-change improvement in the collection and analysis of data and fundamentally enhanced its machine learning capabilities. Our neural net, which expands as our customer fleet grows, is able to collect and analyze more high-quality data than ever before, enabling us to rollout a series of new Autopilot features in 2018 and beyond."

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...A-CB3CDC1B919F/TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-4Q.pdf

"The upcoming autonomous coast-to-coast drive will showcase a major leap forward for our self-driving technology. Additionally, an extensive overhaul of the underlying architecture of our software has now been completed, which has enabled a step-change improvement in the collection and analysis of data and fundamentally enhanced its machine learning capabilities. Our neural net, which expands as our customer fleet grows, is able to collect and analyze more high-quality data than ever before, enabling us to rollout a series of new Autopilot features in 2018 and beyond."

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...A-CB3CDC1B919F/TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-4Q.pdf

I'll believe it when my car has it... And BTW they are still VERY late with their promises. "step-change improvement in the collection and analysis of data" Lol that is some top quality BS.

Well that was kind of disappointing. Boils down to "we're still working on it".

Reactions: AnxietyRanger