Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry you don't feel safe with Tesla stock. I bought a bunch when it was first offered, at eighteen dollars, and it's now running close to $1000 a share. That one data point is why I own a new Model S Long Range. This, however, has nothing to do with smart summon, NoA, or any other feature. I have not yet tried smart summon, and don't feel the need, but I DO own Tesla stock.
It's not about feeling safe. I very rarely trade individual stocks in general. I'm more an index fund investor. Although I did make a six-figure gain with AAPL in the past decade. :D

I noticed the traffic light that it thinks applies to your current lane (i.e. turn-lane versus thru-lane) glows extra bright in the visualization. But it frequently gets it wrong, or it starts spastically flashing back and forth between two lights. Anyway that seems like a really hard problem to solve.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I figured out why "go on green with no confirmation with a lead car" was not working a lot for me: I was not satisfying the torque requirement. When I was behind a lead car and stopped at a red light, when the light turned green and the lead car started to go, when I tugged the wheel, the stopped line on the screen turned green and my car started without having to hit the stalk to confirm.

It will be interesting to see how many of these cases are solved when Tesla releases "autosteer on city streets". Right now, there are a lot of city streets that autosteer can't handle as we see in this video:

It will be interesting to see how many of these cases are solved when Tesla releases "autosteer on city streets". Right now, there are a lot of city streets that autosteer can't handle as we see in this video:

Autosteer today still feels a lot like extremely basic lane keep in the way it handles intersections or lane splits; I've seen no signs of intelligent behavior you'd need for automated city streets driving. I would expect its overall behavior to change pretty radically with actual "autosteer on city streets" functionality (e.g. by way of that rumored rewrite).

Autosteer today still feels a lot like extremely basic lane keep in the way it handles intersections or lane splits; I've seen no signs of intelligent behavior you'd need for automated city streets driving. I would expect its overall behavior to change pretty radically with actual "autosteer on city streets" functionality (e.g. by way of that rumored rewrite).

Completely agree. Yes, I expect a radical change to autosteer because driving on city streets requires more than just lane keeping. There are intersections of course where you have to make 90 degree turns, often with no guiding lane lines. But there are also city streets and residential streets with no lane lines or parked cars on the side that alter how you drive. It requires a more complex understanding of the driveable space than just lane keeping.

I think the only way intersections work on Autosteer is by accident, i.e. forward inertia. It doesn't really drive through intersections with any sort of intent, or aim for a particular lane on the other side. If the geometry is weird, and lanes are offset, you could end up drifting into the wrong lane.

My prediction is their new "Birds Eye View" network is what's necessary to navigate around city streets safely since that predicts the lane layout on each side of the junction and labels dividers and so forth.

• Informative
Get ready for "hw4 will enable full self driving capability!" in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely
Well... not too far off :p

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1278539278356791298

Q: how’s the autopilot rewrite going?
EM: Going well. Team is kicking ass & it’s an honor to work with them. Pretty much everything had to be rewritten, including our labeling software, so that it’s fundamentally “3D” at every step from training through inference.
EM: A lot of functionality will happen all at once when we transition to the new software stack. Most likely, it will be releasable in 2 to 4 months. Then it’s a question of what functionality is proven safe enough to enable for owners.

Last edited:

EM: Going well. Team is kicking ass & it’s an honor to work with them. Pretty much everything had to be rewritten, including our labeling software, so that it’s fundamentally “3D” at every step from training through inference.
EM: A lot of functionality will happen all at once when we transition to the new software stack. Most likely, it will be releasable in 2 to 4 months. Then it’s a question of what functionality is proven safe enough to enable for owners.

Thanks. It's nice to get an update on Tesla's progress.

Let's hope we see some of the new functionality by the end of this year. The last sentence is the big caveat of course. Tesla could finish the rewrite and not be able to release much because it's not reliable yet.

So I've been testing out the latest traffic light response behavior, and I have to admit it's pretty good. It's basically at the point where it's good enough that it's a true benefit over AP.

I always use it with TACC, and not AP so I'm not impact by the speed restriction.

In my testing it seemed pretty consistent in how in stopping for a yellow light when there was ample time, and not stopping for a yellow light when there was very little room.

In my testing I didn't get any false braking events where it falsely detected something as a light or a stop sign.

I did get a few audible alarms as it went through greens following other cars. I'm not sure what was up with that as it happened about 3 times in a row during the initial drive, but hasn't happened since.

I wouldn't say it's perfect as there is some odd hesitation after it reaches 20mph or so when taking off. It does eventually get moving, but it's a little slow for my taste.

Some of the stopping is a bit rough, but nothing horrible.

It stops a bit shorter than I would.

So there is a lot of opportunity to add refinement, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's pretty easy to get comfortable with it, and I could see people using this all the time.

I was about to post a link to this. Can't wait to get a glimpse of it.

Just got a Y a little over a week or so. Tried the stoplight control feature. Not ready for prime time imo. It recognized stoplights at several hundred feet but when it detected a green light with no car in front of me, it began slowing down dramatically approaching 20 mph from the 45 mph speed limit for no reason. I had to repeatedly step on the accelerator for fear of getting rear ended. I turned the feature off.

Just got a Y a little over a week or so. Tried the stoplight control feature. Not ready for prime time imo. It recognized stoplights at several hundred feet but when it detected a green light with no car in front of me, it began slowing down dramatically approaching 20 mph from the 45 mph speed limit for no reason. I had to repeated step on the accelerator for fear of getting rear ended. I turned the feature off.

That is not a bug. Tesla did it on purpose as a safety feature in case the traffic light detection is wrong. So to avoid the car accidentally running a red light, it requires that you confirm green lights with the accelerator pedal or by tapping the gear stalk. Recently, Tesla changed it so that if there is a lead car, your car will proceed through a green light with no confirmation but if there is no lead car, you need to confirm to go through a green light. If you don't confirm, the car will slow down just be safe in case the light is not actually green. It was all explained in the release notes.

Just got a Y a little over a week or so. Tried the stoplight control feature. Not ready for prime time imo. It recognized stoplights at several hundred feet but when it detected a green light with no car in front of me, it began slowing down dramatically approaching 20 mph from the 45 mph speed limit for no reason. I had to repeatedly step on the accelerator for fear of getting rear ended. I turned the feature off.

You can't be the lead car right now...there has to be a car in front of you to have it "auto" go

M3 HW3 2020.24.6.4
On my 4-lane non-divided highway commute, I have a couple of blinking yellow lights at intersections with occasional cross traffic. Navigate on Autopilot instructs my car, going 70 mph, to stop completely in about 200 yards at the flashing yellow lights, regardless of canceling several times, on accelerator and stem. I have to completely power through and past the lights. Woe be to the traffic behind me-- and to me when I'm rear ended.