Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on Last Production # to be Delivered in 2012?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. You're all wrong. :) We've already had cars >P4000 delivered (out of order sequencing at work).

Plus there's this as well:
Model S December Production email
....and I had my X-mas on December 1st this year!!!
Now I don't ever need another present :love:

I think they need more delivery trucks based on the volume of cars that are ready to go
Or a delivery 'sleigh'

Last edited:
Thanks for reviving this thread - I've been wondering about this too. I suspect particularly at year end there's going to be a huge gap between cars produced and cars delivered. Only a few of us are really focused on cars delivered. For present purposes, TM and the market are probably mostly concerned with cars produced. Brings a certain 80s flick to mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvW_PDkElho

I'm not sure that's correct. Tesla only receives money when they deliver cars, not when then produce them. So cars delivered is what matters from a financial standpoint, and all the goals that Tesla has stated have all been in terms of cars delivered.

Certainly the sequence numbers are much more out of order than anyone predicted (I felt that after the sigs people were silly expecting things to go in strict sequence, but not even I could have guessed them reaching up towards seq # 9000 as a possible 2012 delivery). Probably the most interesting guess would be the highest VIN to be delivered in 2012, since it's fairly close to cars produced. Currently we have max delivered VIN of 1791. Remember that there are about 150 (guessing?) canadian sigs waiting around with VINs starting at 2000. I'm assuming US VINs will just skip over those numbers when they reach them. I'll guess that we might see VIN 3300 delivered in 2012 (although there will be VINs lower than that which will still be in the pipeline).

I'm not sure that's correct. Tesla only receives money when they deliver cars, not when then produce them. So cars delivered is what matters from a financial standpoint, and all the goals that Tesla has stated have all been in terms of cars delivered.

Is that completely true? all these TX and similar locations with dealer laws, they take payment to do the transaction in CA will allow some sales to be counted without them making it all the way to delivery.. so tesla's December focus is things they can deliver on the west cost, or to states where they just to get payment and be ready to put it on a truck...

Is that completely true? all these TX and similar locations with dealer laws, they take payment to do the transaction in CA will allow some sales to be counted without them making it all the way to delivery.. so tesla's December focus is things they can deliver on the west cost, or to states where they just to get payment and be ready to put it on a truck...
Because of MA laws, I wired funds to Tesla early. My DS said that my Model S was technically considered "delivered" because the title changed hands (before the car was put on a car carrier in Fremont).

I presume that the carrier is.

Yes, but the real question is who's responsibility is it to go after the carrier? Filing a claim can be a big hassle. Also making sure that there is no damage. This isn't a problem if there is a DS or the car first goes to a service centre and then gets delivered, but in Texas there's nothing but you and the carrier.

Yes, but the real question is who's responsibility is it to go after the carrier? Filing a claim can be a big hassle. Also making sure that there is no damage. This isn't a problem if there is a DS or the car first goes to a service centre and then gets delivered, but in Texas there's nothing but you and the carrier.

Hah. Another instance of the Law of Unintended (Perverse) Consequences, in the name of consumer protection!!

I think most guesses were based on P #, not VIN #. Since Tesla was giving priority to California cars, and using other factors to get as many cars as they could out the door, I don't think anyone guessed that there would be a few P10,000 cars delivered.

Well, if the reservation numbers and vin numbers are too confusing then how many cars were delivered by the end of the year? How many came off the end of the line? Since this is what people were really discussing anyway with the assumption that they would build them in reservation order...obviously not realistic, but it is probably what most were thinking.

Last edited:
Well, if the reservation numbers and vin numbers are too confusing then how many cars were delivered by the end of the year? How many came off the end of the line? Since this is what people were really discussing anyway with the assumption that they would build them in reservation order...obviously not realistic, but it is probably what most were thinking.

We won't know the answer to that question until earnings are reported in a month.

I vote for P4786 (guess what our number is). It matters a lot for tax planning if one gets the car in 2012 or 2013. I assume it will be 2013 for us.

Many months ago I posted that the last P number to be delivered would be 4786 (mine) and we all chuckled. We received our car December 22 and were not even close to last--who would of thought that would happen. Of course I added options that originally thought I would skip. I am happy with our configuration and love the car.