Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone obtained a Powerwall 2 installation quote yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Revisiting this post as home battery storage articles are increasing this week, to summarize I contacted 4 suppliers plus Tesla directly for quotes, recieved 2 quotes from Tesla accredited suppliers, one other supplier had plenty to say over a number of calls but failed to supply pricing, the moment it became apparent I already had solar installed the conversation became very negative. In the end I found dealing direct with Tesla was by far the best option for price, explanation and honesty. Just a bit peeved that the Prime minister got home batteries installed before me, I wonder if Malcolm's is disguised to look like a lump of coal?
The Powerwall 2 is not workable for everyone although it's worth sitting down for 5 minutes to run some calculations and see how it fits your homes energy needs.

Talking to a mate of mine who's getting the PW2's installed in April - one thing he mentioned is that if the grid power fails it will switch to the powerwall however only on one phase. So if you have 3 phase to the house only one of those phases will be powered by the pw2 during a power failure.

I spoke to "Janice" at Tesla Energy (Australia) on Thursday and got an email with the included attachments.
I wasn't aware of the AC and DC versions and she clarified the 3 phase situation for me. One PW2 with Nom 5kW output would share this across all three phases i.e. 1.6kW each phase. Two PW2's on three phase would double this or alternatively you could put one PW2 on 2 out of 3 phases and leave the last phase "hanging".

Attachments

• Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_English.pdf
    196.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Powerwall 2_FAQ.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Powerwall-2-DC_Datasheet_English.pdf
    234.1 KB · Views: 62
The calculator assumes that there will be no change in power prices when calculating its payoff period. Unlikely.

Correct, any rise in electricity price favours battery storage even more.

I think i read somewhere today about the raising of the feed in Tarif in Vic. Up to 11 cents. Might change the calculations

True, although while the feed in tariff is less than the electricity purchase price there is an advantage for installing batteries, some households would benefit greatly, others not so.

Can anyone with some solar and battery knowledge clarify this. Was told that the power companies are now limiting power into the grid from homes (max 5kw), which they have been doing for some time as part of feedin tariffs, but now, they will actually count the batteries as well towards this total. Ie if you have 5kw of solar and have a AC battery setup like the powerwall (output 5kw) you house has a capacity to output 10kw into the grid which is not allowed... so basically if this is true it will kill the Powerwall2 before it can even start as only AC version available in Australia.

If the powerwall was DC it wouldn't be counted??

Not true in Victoria at least. I upgraded my home system to 20kw of panels and 48kw of battery storage in preparation for running 2 Teslas plus the house. The 2nd Teslas still hasn't been delivered so more has been going back to the grid than expected. No limits it appears.

Not true in Victoria at least. I upgraded my home system to 20kw of panels and 48kw of battery storage in preparation for running 2 Teslas plus the house. The 2nd Teslas still hasn't been delivered so more has been going back to the grid than expected. No limits it appears.
Can anyone with some solar and battery knowledge clarify this. Was told that the power companies are now limiting power into the grid from homes (max 5kw), which they have been doing for some time as part of feedin tariffs, but now, they will actually count the batteries as well towards this total. Ie if you have 5kw of solar and have a AC battery setup like the powerwall (output 5kw) you house has a capacity to output 10kw into the grid which is not allowed... so basically if this is true it will kill the Powerwall2 before it can even start as only AC version available in Australia.

If the powerwall was DC it wouldn't be counted??
Not on my contract as far as I'm aware with 8c/kW feed in tariff but I know some people with legacy feed in tariffs of 40c who have a 5kW limit. Not sure how they could tell whether you had a battery or not as all they should theoretically see is what is coming into and out of the property.

This is half of my dream for a future home. Home grown veggies, zero waste, minimal active energy input, electric everything!! I am gradually introducing and trialling sustainable products in my property developments and will go nutso with them when we can build our own home....ahmmm Grand Designs. Totally off topic, but good on you for taking yourself off grid (I'm sure this system will have you at net zero). Now to convince the wife to give up cheese, probably easier to go shopping for a new wife in the vegan shops...and we're too good a match, perhaps I'll just purchase carbon offsets for the cheese!!

I could be wrong now but in WA a 5kW inverter was the max you could install and still get a feed in tarriff.
I think there are also limits on how large a single phase system can be.

That's correct in WA.

Not on my contract as far as I'm aware with 8c/kW feed in tariff but I know some people with legacy feed in tariffs of 40c who have a 5kW limit. Not sure how they could tell whether you had a battery or not as all they should theoretically see is what is coming into and out of the property.

Western Power require a battery storage application similar to installing solar, I would think other states and territories would have similar policies.
Interestingly the WA state owned power supplier is heavily promoting battery storage with prime time TV commercials, I guess they understand the concept of if you can't beat them join them.