Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the M3P ruined me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so, I figured out a hack.....drive the 718 first thing in the morning. 😅

took it out this morning for a wash and see if it felt any different....it did feel better and like her old self, but my god, it is insane how different it is from that instant go juice from the M3P....the mistake I made yesterday was taking her out right after a drive in the Tesla....I literally thought something was wrong with it :oops:

It still has a purpose as it is still fun to shift gears manually and look good doing it, but it is incredible how different ICE vs EV feels back to back.

btw, Porsche has announce the next generation Cayman will be full EV..... Can't wait!

took some snaps yesterday....
View attachment 913491

View attachment 913497

View attachment 913498
Happy to babysit your Porsche and provide you a very valid and important second opinion on what feels better... after driving it a few weeks, of course. haha

I literally thought something was wrong with it :oops:

It still has a purpose as it is still fun to shift gears manually and look good doing it, but it is incredible how different ICE vs EV feels back to back.

btw, Porsche has announce the next generation Cayman will be full EV..... Can't wait!
LOL. I've also had the feeling off "something's broken" after driving the Model 3 and jumping into the Porsche. I've got a Boxster S with the N/A Flat 6, it definitely feels much less punchy than my Model 3, especially if I'm going uphill on the highway in a higher gear. In the Tesla the power is immediate, in the Porsche there's just not much going on until the revs are above 3500rpm.

On day to day drives, I find the Tesla about equally as fun as the Porsche, but way more comfortable. On mountain roads, the Porsche is quite a lot more interactive and fun.

Last edited:
Yea I guess I maybe phrased it wrong, manuals feel faster. It does depend on driving too, for instance if you've just shifted to 7th say from 2nd or 3rd in a dct, then try booting it my last car got confused and took a few seconds to change. Obviously in a manual you can block shift. I know you can hold the downshift down to try and do that in a dct, but my experience is that it was a bit hit and miss.

I find I actually drive slower in our YP than in prior sport manual trans cars. The drive and sensations are totally different. I certainly get on the power from time to time to merge or shoot a gap, and it’s incredible, but most days, I’m driving pretty slow.

Reactions: enemji
Well, I ONLY have a RWD and i feel like it has ruined me lol i previously has a 2015 Rogue, 2008 CRV and a 2008 Civic. (i still drive the rogue too from time to time It's my mother's)

I have to drive a company car one day a week Note they have Camry hybrids, Fusions, Fusion Hybrids, Malibus in the fleet note some are as old as 2012 or so.

when i have to take a fleet vehicle the comfort of the seats where good enough till I got the M3 the seats the acceleration and handling and I really miss the basic auto pilot too. Also, the single pedal driving that has spoiled me.

I can't wait for the Cyber truck to come out I really hope that it is close to what tesla initially promised. but only time will tell.

Reactions: tm1v2
I find I actually drive slower in our YP than in prior sport manual trans cars. The drive and sensations are totally different. I certainly get on the power from time to time to merge or shoot a gap, and it’s incredible, but most days, I’m driving pretty slow.
You really need to get into a M3LR or M3P to enjoy the punch it sensations

I definitely won’t argue with that, my other car is a nearly original 1987 Suzuki Samurai that my mom bought new and I was there with her when she bought it.

That thing is lucky to even get to 60 mph half the time but it is a blast to drive. And I seriously get more people coming up to me asking about it than probably any other car I’ve owned.

I definitely won’t argue with that, my other car is a nearly original 1987 Suzuki Samurai that my mom bought new and I was there with her when she bought it.

That thing is lucky to even get to 60 mph half the time but it is a blast to drive. And I seriously get more people coming up to me asking about it than probably any other car I’ve owned.

0-60...eventually!

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2

Takes me back!!
82FC314B-6807-4DF3-A698-7B4A3A6BE607.jpeg

It is way more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. That is why so many people love the Miata after all. That said, I don't think anyone can drive a M3P or similar car and then go back to an ICE car without thinking that some things are off. I remember when my wife started driving my EV for a few weeks, then drove her car again and told me something was broken. I took it out for a drive and did not notice anything so I asked her to take me out and explain what she was feeling. It was just the transmission shifting. In just a couple weeks, she had gotten so used to no gears she thought she thought something was broken when she went back to ICE with an auto transmission which needed to shift and had a power band.

The M3P has spoiled me for daily drivers. There’s a short list of cars that I’d love for a fun weekend car. Miata, GR86 all the way up to C8 or 911 Targa (GTS please). I’ve driven a Turbo S (2012 stick) and a 458. Neither offered the immediacy and torque slam of the M3P, but they danced with joy around a corner and roundabouts were a driver’s orgasm. The Tesla is just business in the bends.

Reactions: enemji
Hard to compare. 3p is a 455 hp or whatever car. Similar power ice car is still quick. Maybe not 0-30 due to traction but it still pulls past 65mph.

But it’s still my favorite bang for the buck 4 door sedan.

It’s not fair to compare it to a 600 plus hp ice car that’s much lighter.

Hard to compare. 3p is a 455 hp or whatever car. Similar power ice car is still quick. Maybe not 0-30 due to traction but it still pulls past 65mph.

But it’s still my favorite bang for the buck 4 door sedan.

It’s not fair to compare it to a 600 plus hp ice car that’s much lighter.
I think people compare 0-60 as it's an easy metric (and a bit dated imo). 0-100 is where you see real differences:D.

I keep telling everyone I know that has never driven an EV that every time I get into an ICE I feel something is broken. When I first got the Y I could not stop driving it, almost obsessed with getting behind the wheel. Felt like when I was 16, just got my license and purchased a Toyota Supra. Their is just no comparison whatsoever between EV and ICE except they both get you to your destination. The S is just as much fun in a more comfortable and luxurious package and is our go to car. The Y is my wife's grocery getter and errand runner. Must admit the practicality and amazing amount of storage space on the Y is hard to beat. 2 1/2 years later the 16 year old thing has worn off some but still really love driving any of our Teslas, just not running out to run unnecessary errands several times a day any more. 😁

Had some fun a couple of years ago with my son in laws McLaren, really something to experience however way too much "look at me" going on with something like that. Was pretty much astonished that you could touch the pavement while sitting in the car with the door open and just reaching out. Just not my style but fun and if you like engine noise, this thing sure filled that requirement. The wife was not amused with the noise and speed, had to try her out and see what she could do you know. The car, not my wife before someone jumps in on that one. ;)

Reactions: SO16
I keep telling everyone I know that has never driven an EV that every time I get into an ICE I feel something is broken. When I first got the Y I could not stop driving it, almost obsessed with getting behind the wheel. Felt like when I was 16, just got my license and purchased a Toyota Supra. Their is just no comparison whatsoever between EV and ICE except they both get you to your destination. The S is just as much fun in a more comfortable and luxurious package and is our go to car. The Y is my wife's grocery getter and errand runner. Must admit the practicality and amazing amount of storage space on the Y is hard to beat. 2 1/2 years later the 16 year old thing has worn off some but still really love driving any of our Teslas, just not running out to run unnecessary errands several times a day any more. 😁

Had some fun a couple of years ago with my son in laws McLaren, really something to experience however way too much "look at me" going on with something like that. Was pretty much astonished that you could touch the pavement while sitting in the car with the door open and just reaching out. Just not my style but fun and if you like engine noise, this thing sure filled that requirement. The wife was not amused with the noise and speed, had to try her out and see what she could do you know. The car, not my wife before someone jumps in on that one. ;)
EV's are great and I can definitely agree with the feeling you mentioned, but I can't say it's more exciting to drive than a Supra. Driving a stick shift turbo car is just so exciting to me. What I don't like is the maintenance or driving in traffic with it. lol

For every day driving, having all the power/torque available instantly, all the time, without worry of blowing a gasket/turbo seal/etc, is just so nice.

For those who have experience the direct connection between a manual transmission in a proper sporty car, it will be something that is missing in an electric vehicle. While the EV is actually more of a direct connection, it is the clutch and shifting of gears that is so involving and engaging. Downside is the misery of driving them in stop and go traffic, or toddling around busy urban environments where the thrill is mostly gone.

Fear not...Elon is still moving forward (slowly, with the long anticipated New Coupe. This is designed to bring back the joy and exhilaration inherent in high powered sporty cars. Should have great power, sharp reflexes, beautiful design, awsome handling, instant response, etc. If that is not enough, some will also check off the SpaceX option with cold air thrusters. Should be enought to bring back that joy of driving many of us miss with the phasing out of manual transmissions. In Elon speak, the ultimate multi speed transmission is no multi speed transmission :)