Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol that's terrible math, just terrible. You didn't even cite the original purchase price/trim level. So you are saying I can get a 2012 Camry se with 50k miles for roughly 6-8k? Laughable
No, he is saying that is the amount a dealer will pay for your car. YOUR depreciation hit

upload_2017-8-24_19-10-34.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Can you imagine Toyota charging 1,000 for any other Camry paint than black?

35k is now 36k

Even with a gov credit that car is now 27,500 7,000 more than a 2017 Camry SE on clearance

Most people will not get this credit

But what about the wheels? If you want anything other than the lame aero wheels its now 37,500?

So 35k is now 37,500. We are getting into a range that is about 10k more than the average US car

But add the roof and base auto pilot and now we are at near 47k???

Please explain how 47k is a mass market affordable car?

Tesla was right when they said the model S is far superior. You are better off getting a used model S from the prices I've seen. I also cannot believe the loaded base model of the 3 is 59k. That is absurd

Toyota charges $60k for a Prius, landlocked in CA, and still loses $80k on the sale.

Of course, the Model 3 isn't comparable to a Toyota, but you knew that.

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
Lol thanks for telling me how to drive. Yeah it's a real joy to constantly monitor the speedometer....and the keeping the kw indicator slightly green.....which is why regen is on low will stay there. The only advantage to regen is in constant stop and go traffic aka city driving/traffic jams. Otherwise regen isn't cool at all
Here is a little tip: don't try and drive by looking at the regen meter, just drive smoothly.

I don't agree - Tesla is trying to take market share from people who normally wouldn't have purchased an electric car by making it "affordable". People want the cool tesla factor and for right now think they can get that for 35k

I'm not sure if this was covered on the preceding pages, but the most popular car that people upgraded to the Model S from has historically been the Toyota Prius. In other words, people that have never spent more than $30k - $40k on a car have been putting down $70k+ because of a number of factors. And speaking from personal experience, and from a few of the S owners I know, there's a ton of truth to that. Now apply that to the 3, a car that starts at $35k, or half the $70k of a Model S. A massive number of the 450k who are in line for the 3 currently have cars that cost $20k - $30k. The package they're offering in the 3 is actually incredibly attractive and you're going to see a lot of folks, even though Tesla is targeting the BMW 3 Series and Audi A3/4 crowd, coming to the Model 3 from Toyotas, Hondas...you get the idea.

Because I like coasting and think it sucks always having to keep your foot on the accelerator. Oh that and people constantly think you are brake checking them....
Brake lights only go on when regen is fairly strong, i.e.. equivalent to applying the brake in an ICE vehicle. If you simply feather accelerator to neutral torque, no brake lights.

Reactions: liuping
I forgot to mention as a comparison to BMW. Tesla will produce nearly as many Model 3s in 2018 as BMW did for it's entire 3 series in 2016.
The key here is "will". Just like last year Elon said, Tesla will produce 100k-200k Model 3s in second half of this year. But that is obviously not important to understand what Tesla will do next year.
Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

Elon Muskin Q1 2016 ER said:
So as a rough guess, I would say we would aim to produce 100,000 to 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of next year. That’s my expectation right now.

Let's connect when Tesla has produced and delivered half of 500k in 2018.

Last edited:
The key here is "will". Just like last year Elon said, Tesla will produce 100k-200k Model 3s in second half of this year. But that is obviously not important to understand what Tesla will do next year.
Elon Musk: Tesla Model 3 Production Target Is Up To 200,000 In Second Half Of 2017

Let's connect when Tesla has produced and delivered half of 500k in 2018.

If tesla manage to produce my model 3 and delivery it to me before the end of the year they would have done their job.

No I'm just taking a previous posters point where they said they would rather have a new 59k 3 than a 59k used S
I think you have a reasonable point here. I was thinking about trading my Model S in for a Model 3, but since the reveal, I have decided not to. I agree with you that the S is the better car and I would sooner spend 60k on a used S than on a new 3. I also agree that some folks on this site lack objectivity. I know that can be frustrating, but there are also a lot of people that are capable of reasoned discourse. In this instance, I think most folks here are just expressing that despite the high cost of options, they are happy with what they are getting for their money with the 3. If I didn't already have the S and there was no forcing function (impending reduction of the federal rebate), I would be very pleased with a roughly $40k Model 3 (rear drive with small battery, PUP, and perhaps a color). Otherwise, I'd get a 3 or 4 series BMW, for which I would pay more. I wouldn't drive a Camry if they were free because I just don't want a mundane front drive sedan. I think comparing the 3 to a Camry has people riled up because it feels like trolling, even if that wasn't your intent, which I don't think it was.

I agree with you that the S is the better car and I would sooner spend 60k on a used S than on a new 3. I also agree that some folks on this site lack objectivity.

Speaking of objectivity... Why, objectively, would a $60,000 3-4 year old pre-autopilot 85 RWD Model S be better than a $60,000 brand new Model 3?

Here's (objectively) why it's not better:
Compared to the $60k Model 3 the typical $60k used Model S has:
  • No autopilot or EAP
  • No chance at all of FSD features.
  • Less range (even without battery degredation)
  • Slower acceleration (unless you can find a P85)
  • No door pockets
  • Cup holders in the wrong place ergonomically
  • No lighted vanity mirrors
  • Poorer build quality in those model years.
  • Poorer rear visibility
  • Less rear headroom
  • Larger turn radius
  • More difficult to park due to size