Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow… lot of hate towards some pretty cool features that are being added FOR FREE… I think the major element missing in all of this discussion is the move toward more automation… that’s what most of this is about. But I get it, when people have things in places they know and they’ve learned, it’s natural to get upset when that all changes and you have to learn a new way of doing things. I agree some improvements are needed but lets not forget that we use to need physical maps on roadtrips and you were lucky if your car had a cassette player in it. Tesla is a tech company, it’s the driving force for the evolution of the the car as we’ve known it. Much of this is constant R&D, they’ll make improvements, they already said updates are coming and they’ve listened to a lot of the feedback in doing so. But all of this is heading toward more and more automation and consistently perfecting it.

A few realistic notes….
-You don’t need to check your tire pressure constantly. Previously you had to get out of your car and use a tire gauge to check it, plus the car will tell you if it’s low…let the car tell you…
-The wiper stalk does the same thing it did in previous versions, no need for all the discussion on that, it seems like complaining just to find more to complain about.
-The dash cam is constantly recording, in the event that you feel you REALLY need to save a clip then it’s actually SAFER that they removed it from the top because clearly people were more focused on saving the clip (which records 10 mins at a time) than reacting to the situation on the road first. If you really need it that bad, honk your horn and it saves…EASY.
-I agree more apps can be put below but it is still an improvement to have the phone easily accessible there and your preferred music source.
-Before digital screens, did you complain about the font size on a regular speedometer? I agree it would be nice to have an option to increase font size but there’s also only so much space to do so. Perhaps an accessibility type feature but again, we’re talking about driving a car and having good eyesight with or without glasses. You can’t increase the font on a street sign.
-Your driver profile is easily seen by using the car icon on the bottom left, once you get in the car (BEFORE you start driving) there is no reason or need to access that again.
-The seat heaters are gone from the bottom because they’ve been automated to keep your seat at the perfect temperature. Something we’re not use to because we’ve had to manually use them in the past and we’re in the mindset of using them. This may just be a different way of doing things.
-The car didn’t update itself… you click a button to choose to update the car. If it is that important to you, perhaps it’s best to wait and see what the feedback is first before updating your car. Obviously this is the 11th version… and it will continue evolve… there are some great points here for ways to add back certain features or improve the interface even further. Next time, hold off before updating if you like what you have.
-Plenty of other auto manufactures either don’t provide updates at all or charge you for them IF they do (and typically those are only map updates). Take into account the people involved in making this software, their salaries, the time put into autopilot and FSD that continues to be updated/improved/perfected… you’re getting it all for free once you’ve bought your Tesla. How would you feel if you paid for the update and didn’t like it? Exactly… so, they’re working on improvements as all of us hash this out on these boards at no additional cost to anyone.

Still, I think the central element of automation is a big component of this. The push toward automation will naturally come with a lot of resistance because in many ways we may feel like we’re losing control of things that were once in our control. But in reality, the concept revolves around keeping more focus on the road while easing the mind knowing all those other things are taken care of for you.

It will continue to improve but lets be realistic about some of this stuff and not so petty. You bought a car completely online, you use your phone as a key and to access it remotely. Pretty incredible to say the least. Focus forward, trust the process, we’re all part of one massively and exponentially evolving R&D experiment.
Thanks, Elon! I completely agree! Bunch of NIMBY’s not realizing the real improvements here.

Reactions: Tezlowski
-You don’t need to check your tire pressure constantly. Previously you had to get out of your car and use a tire gauge to check it, plus the car will tell you if it’s low…let the car tell you…
True - this is a relatively minor thing but having it on the cards was convenient and unobtrusive, so moving it didn’t really help much but made it harder to find. (Living in MN, I also routinely check my tire pressures in the winter as they can drop quite a bit in the cold weather.) The bigger issue for most is that they removed the cards with the trip odometers and energy usage. Those were things I used almost on a daily basis and are now more or less unusable.
-The wiper stalk does the same thing it did in previous versions, no need for all the discussion on that, it seems like complaining just to find more to complain about
I agree here - the change to the wiper controls is minimal with this update, although I think having a twist ring on the wiper stalk like every other car on the market has is a far better means of control but that hasn’t changed since the car was designed.
-I agree more apps can be put below but it is still an improvement to have the phone easily accessible there and your preferred music source.
A modest improvement, if you use your phone a lot when you drive. Text messages displayed automatically, so that wasn’t an issue before. As far as music goes, they had all of the audio sources together and now they’ve split them apart so it’s actually worse, IMO. I also have a bunch of TuneIN podcasts as my ‘preferred sources’ that I never use and can’t get rid of. Nor can you hide other audio sources like you could before. (If I never have to use the god-awful tuneIn app again in my life I’ll be happy)

Ultimately, they took away many useful ‘apps’ that most people used regularly (seat heater, wipers, defrost) and replaced them with those that are of minimal to no use. I never use tunein. Or spotify. Or tiktok. Or the browser. And why the hell do you need to access the games when you’re driving????? You took away the defroster and gave me games????
-Your driver profile is easily seen by using the car icon on the bottom left, once you get in the car (BEFORE you start driving) there is no reason or need to access that again.
This is fixing a problem that didn’t really exist before and actually made it worse. On a regular basis I get in the car, press the brake pedal and the seat starts adjusting to my wife’s settings. Before I could just hit ‘stop’ and tap my setting. Now I have to dig through a bunch of menus to find it while my knees are smashed against the dashboard. The least they could have done was made it available until you started driving.
-The seat heaters are gone from the bottom because they’ve been automated to keep your seat at the perfect temperature
Except they don’t. Automation is great when it works and it sucks when it doesn‘t. I agree that the car turning down the seat temp is nice, but they could have easily done that without changing a thing.
-The car didn’t update itself… you click a button to choose to update the car.
True. But we also didn’t know how truly atrocious this update would be, had no chance to preview it and no opportunity to go back. If you are a FSD Beta tester then it’s mandatory. Virtually every other update has been incrementally better, or at worst a lateral move when it came to the user interface which is another reason people are feeling blindsided by this.

Thanks, Elon! I completely agree! Bunch of NIMBY’s not realizing the real improvements here.
Just what are the ‘real improvements?’ There are a few incremental improvements and a ton of drawbacks. More to the point, like I and many others have pointed out, none of the improvements required the bastardization of the UI.

People aren’t complaining about what was added; they’re complaining about what was taken away. I feel like Tesla took away Thanksgiving dinner and gave me a few CheezIts in return.

Just what are the ‘real improvements?’
Pretty sure that was sarcastic.

And why the hell do you need to access the games when you’re driving????? You took away the defroster and gave me games????
Nicely said, and - for me - the primary cause of my concern. It isn't so much more automation (since I can turn those things off if I don't want them, at least so far) but the philosophy behind giving more space and utility towards games rather than towards driving in comfort and safety. That seems like a fundamental step in the wrong direction for a car manufacturer, regardless of how automated their car is.

I think the major element missing in all of this discussion is the move toward more automation…
Actually, I think most of us get that.
…it’s natural to get upset when that all changes and you have to learn a new way of doing things.
Yup, change is universally uncomfortable. That said, change that makes things harder is also called a step backward by me if not most.
I agree some improvements are needed but lets not forget that we use to need physical maps on roadtrips and you were lucky if your car had a cassette player in it.
Er, and your point is?
they’ll make improvements
So why didn’t they with this update, at least from the human factors perspective regarding car operations?
updates are coming and they’ve listened to a lot of the feedback in doing so.
So, the attempt at burying operating options blew up in their faces and they’re walking them back…fixing is a good thing and now we wait. Still can’t imagine how some of these changes made it to ”production” software and that’s the scary part.
But all of this is heading toward more and more automation and consistently perfecting it.
OK, but I have to drive the car today.
A few realistic notes….
I really tire of other people and companies telling me what I don’t need. And yes, things were truly horrible and backwards back in the day when I trudged barefoot to school in knee deep snow 6 miles uphill each way (in Ft. Lauderdale, but hey).
-The wiper stalk does the same thing it did in previous versions, no need for all the discussion on that, it seems like complaining just to find more to complain about.
OK.
-The dash cam is constantly recording, in the event that you feel you REALLY need to save a clip then it’s actually SAFER that they removed it from the top because clearly people were more focused on saving the clip (which records 10 mins at a time) than reacting to the situation on the road first. If you really need it that bad, honk your horn and it saves…EASY.
Yeah, that’s not clear to me at all that people focused on clip saving. I thinks it is far more likely that it was another instrument showing status of a system within the car, not unlike the myriad displays in an aircraft cockpit where at a glance the pilot can ascertain the functioning of many systems. Doesn’t mean I am going to look for the camera button when the engine quits mid-flight.
And that sounds like what YOU want, not necessarily all of humanity.
-Before digital screens, did you complain about the font size on a regular speedometer? I agree it would be nice to have an option to increase font size but there’s also only so much space to do so. Perhaps an accessibility type feature but again, we’re talking about driving a car and having good eyesight with or without glasses. You can’t increase the font on a street sign.
Oh where to begin here. Wait, just never mind.
Again, thanks for sharing what I want/need without regard to what I want/need. Are you one of the UI developers? It would appear many, many others disagree with your decision on our behalf.
-The seat heaters are gone from the bottom because they’ve been automated to keep your seat at the perfect temperature.
Oh dear lord, really? They (the automated seat heaters) know and maintain just the very perfect temperature for me! And how do they know? Because they’re perfect for whomever designed this automation.
Something we’re not use to because we’ve had to manually use them in the past and we’re in the mindset of using them. This may just be a different way of doing things.
A little like clothing where one size fits none well.
-The car didn’t update itself… you click a button to choose to update the car. If it is that important to you, perhaps it’s best to wait and see what the feedback is first before updating your car. Obviously this is the 11th version… and it will continue evolve… there are some great points here for ways to add back certain features or improve the interface even further. Next time, hold off before updating if you like what you have.
Eyes wide shut, huh? Don’t disagree but how are the feedback posts going to appear if everyone waits for them to decide on updating? Here’s my opinion: in no case should an update make anything related to car operations more difficult to accomplish.
-Plenty of other auto manufactures either don’t provide updates at all or charge you for them IF they do (and typically those are only map updates). Take into account the people involved in making this software, their salaries, the time put into autopilot and FSD that continues to be updated/improved/perfected… you’re getting it all for free once you’ve bought your Tesla. How would you feel if you paid for the update and didn’t like it? Exactly… so, they’re working on improvements as all of us hash this out on these boards at no additional cost to anyone.
Yeah, no. We paid and pay for these updates with the vehicle’s purchase price…it was a touted feature like power steering and air bags. If updates required additional payments as happens on many vehicle map updates, they would either not happen at all, or be very fully field tested prior to launch, or the demand for refunds for disliked ”features” would run the credit card clearinghouses mad.
Still, I think the central element of automation is a big component of this. The push toward automation will naturally come with a lot of resistance because in many ways we may feel like we’re losing control of things that were once in our control. But in reality, the concept revolves around keeping more focus on the road while easing the mind knowing all those other things are taken care of for you.
Desirable and partially agree. I don’t mind losing control if something automated can do it better AND do it with the same result. Moving operational controls deeper into menus accomplishes neither, given the various threads on topic. The issue to me is that the automation only works to a calculated average result; vehicles are driven by individuals with varying wants/needs in varying almost limitless situations. I don’t think automation is yet capable of accommodating all of this to the detriment of cases outside the calculated average…which is most almost by definition. Just one example: it’s hard to focus on the road when the windshield and rear window instantly fog up in the mountains and I have to now go on the scavenger hunt to find controls to fix that while repetitively trying voice commands that don’t work with my one-bar-or-less cell reception in that area. So in my 1964 Ford T-Bird I instinctively reach over to the A/C controls and slide the mode lever to defrost/defog taking a fraction of a second and easy peasy. In my Model 3, I pull over, stop the car, try to find the owners manual explaining the controls, find it, do a search on defrost or defog, go to a page that shows the wrong information for my software version, go to the settings menu, and poke-and-hope until I find it. I recognize most would skip the owners manual part of this but even the treasure hunt for the right control is anathema to me, and certainly not while in the situation.
It will continue to improve but lets be realistic about some of this stuff and not so petty. You bought a car completely online, you use your phone as a key and to access it remotely. Pretty incredible to say the least. Focus forward, trust the process, we’re all part of one massively and exponentially evolving R&D experiment.
True enough, at least the incredible part and the experiment we’ve subjected ourselves to. But the “trust the process” bit? I don’t think so. Trust is earned as someone said, and delivering usability issues the likes of which are in 44.25.2 does not curry trust. We “trust” our vehicles will be safe first, convenient second. This is not automating the menus on a microwave oven or improving the menus in Microsoft Word, this is for driving a car, today, on today’s roads, with today’s other drivers, in today’s traffic, today’s weather, and today’s geographic breadth. Do not do anything to make this harder. Ever.

Tesla is a tech company, it’s the driving force for the evolution of the the car as we’ve known it. Much of this is constant R&D, they’ll make improvements
Let's not bow down to the gods of technological progress to the point of surrendering our oversight over that process. It's in the core interest of any Silicon Valley company to present itself as being fully in charge and in command of defining "progress". But any assumption that Musk, Ellison or Zuckerberg only want what's best for us is naive.

This thread is a healthy reminder how to stay in control of the narrative through constant, vigilant, critical evaluation of what's being fed to us by one of these technology companies.

Last edited:
It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
I strongly agree. The update introduces a safety issue because the wipers and defroster are no longer accessible on the primary screen. The voice controls aren't reliable. The system sometimes misinterprets the driver's commands. Also, the automatic wipers are slow to respond to changing conditions such as a sudden downpour, or passing vehicles that kick up water. TESLA, PLEASE BRING BACK THE WIPERS ON THE MAIN SCREEN. Please prioritize controls for operating the car, not the entertainment system!

funny thing is WHY did Tesla make volume control a default appearance on lower of screen...WHEN you can control volume from the steering wheel? GG

rest my case at how Tesla didn't really think anything through before burying more useful controls under menus and leaving other controls that have accessible physical buttons/scrolls on the main screen

They turned horses into Elves
D05374A2-C3FA-48F1-A1E3-36E9E8CA4EE0.jpeg
370198DD-95D0-4572-84F3-D75B54A32024.jpeg