Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we get Tesla to add a speed limiter feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how would this work, given you can't add physical controls, or remove existing capabilities. I can see how the left wheel could be scrolled for speed, but how would you enable and disable the limiter?
Just like how we adjust the distance between cars one car length or two cars length - you can scroll right wheel and set the speed and push the side buttons to limit.Not too hard in Tesla.

Given that US doesn’t have such an array of cameras everywhere this wasn’t something needed. Plus my understanding of how people drive there is - overtaking is more or less frowned upon and people use cruise and set speed and then do whatever they do when driving resulting in Tesla or other American cars do not have that much of interest in adding the speed limiter.

Though fewer streets for a speed limiter in USA it seems there are still some that would benefit. I suppose if it wasn't an issue it wouldn't be "radar enforced":
street.png

My Ioniq had dumb cruise, smart cruise and speed limiter!
my 2012 Prius had the the same stupid bong arrangement for exceeding speed limits as Tesla’s have now.
it was worthless then and is now!
i would have the method of setting down once for limiter, down again for cruise, double down for AP/FSD with controls setting to disable limiter and revert to as is.
it’s not that difficult. We Just need Tesla to recognise the importance.

Tesla has the opportunity to change any of the screen buttons or the stalk functions or the steering wheel button functions. There is no barrier… take your pick on how it could be activated.
The number of physical controls is a barrier, unless you are suggesting that you would enable this feature from the screen. That doesn't sound great unless you would enable it all the time and forego having autopilot at all
The choice was made via the menu. It basically changes the control of the car from computer control to foot control.
So you would not necessarily be able to change mode during a journey? Seems odd. I get how setting a limiter in a 30 makes sense, but surely on a motorway you would want to be back in cruise rather than diving for hours with your foot on the accelerator.
It’s not an autopilot feature. It limits manual speed. So say you set it at 50 you have to physically manually drive and the max speed the car can go is 50. If you then hard press the accelerator it overrides and accelerates away. Then when back under 50 that’s the max speed again.
That wasn't the question, which button would you press
Just like how we adjust the distance between cars one car length or two cars length - you can scroll right wheel and set the speed and push the side buttons to limit.Not too hard in Tesla.
So how then would you set car length if you've turned that action into something else
Mode switches between TACC and speed limiter, rest are as usual
Our cars don't have those switches, software updates can't add new stalks.

My general point being, how would it be added without an extra toggle switch on the stalks or wheel, and lets be real that's super unlikely.

I miss a decent limiter, too. I personally don't so much view it as a means of avoiding accidental speeding; more as a driver assist feature - like cruise control - to make driving at a constant speed more pleasant.

To those who don't regularly use a limiter - or have never had a car with a well designed one - think of it as a cruise control that requires you to keep the accelerator depressed to keep it operating, but that doesn't automatically disengage on application of the brakes.

This makes it ideal for city use, as you can slow down from your set speed for lights or traffic just by taking your foot off the accelerator - and pressing the brake if necessary - without disengaging the feature. So, when conditions allow you can resume travel at your set speed simply by applying sufficient pressure to the accelerator again.

Granted, once TACC is good enough on city streets, that would be a viable alternative much of the time. But it's never really going to make sense to use TACC through junctions, etc.
I’d use it instead of TACC if it were fitted ….I hate that thing lol

So how would this work, given you can't add physical controls, or remove existing capabilities. I can see how the left wheel could be scrolled for speed, but how would you enable and disable the limiter?

Personally I want to use Speed Limit for more urban driving (slower speeds), and TACC for dual carriageways and motorways (higher speed). If the mapping data could be trusted, then toggling the first stalk pull between TACC and Speed Limit might work... seems a bit too fragile though.

I think therefore that for me a configurable toggle might work:

Current behaviour: Single stalk pull gives TACC, double pull gives AutoSteer/FSD if enabled.

Alternative: Single stalk pull gives Speed Limiter, double pull gives TACC, triple pull gives AutoSteer/FSD if enabled?

Not ideal though… hopefully there are better ideas?

The number of physical controls is a barrier, unless you are suggesting that you would enable this feature from the screen. That doesn't sound great unless you would enable it all the time and forego having autopilot at all

So you would not necessarily be able to change mode during a journey? Seems odd. I get how setting a limiter in a 30 makes sense, but surely on a motorway you would want to be back in cruise rather than diving for hours with your foot on the accelerator.

That wasn't the question, which button would you press

So how then would you set car length if you've turned that action into something else

My general point being, how would it be added without an extra toggle switch on the stalks or wheel, and lets be real that's super unlikely.
generally I’d use speed limiter in town or A and perhaps B roads. TACC on dual carriageways or motorways

I’d say that the best bet it is to have a toggle of one or the other in settings and switch over when required, using the stalk/scroll to set as normal
when FSD city streets U.K. is up and running properly it won’t matter. I’ll be long dead…

I agree with this. I used to have a Leaf and the speed limiter was fantastic, just push a button and it was on, yet if you wanted to override it you could push the pedal all the way to the floor and it would ignore the limit. Worked well.

Also agree about the less fretting part. If Tesla made a normal / compact style car I would have it in a heartbeat. The Model 3 is amazing, but it's so unnecessary dragging around 5 armchairs and a huge empty boot with you whenever you go somewhere.
M3 is small ….to some people …..it’s like a go cart in comparison to my 630dGT Beemer in both physical size and driving 🤣. Absolute cinch to park in a supermarket whereas the BM was a bit of a tight squeeze😁

Personally I want to use Speed Limit for more urban driving (slower speeds), and TACC for dual carriageways and motorways (higher speed). If the mapping data could be trusted, then toggling the first stalk pull between TACC and Speed Limit might work... seems a bit too fragile though.

I think therefore that for me a configurable toggle might work:

Current behaviour: Single stalk pull gives TACC, double pull gives AutoSteer/FSD if enabled.

Alternative: Single stalk pull gives Speed Limiter, double pull gives TACC, triple pull gives AutoSteer/FSD if enabled?

Not ideal though… hopefully there are better ideas?
this is what i meant by showing how existing cars are doing it. The "On" button is usually a toggle beteen TACC and LIM

Tesla could use the same method with the stalk pull as Denki said without the need to add more buttons

You don’t need a new stalk e.g. initiate cruise as normal and if you want to convert that to a limiter function press down one more time (not a double tap like for autopilot but two singles). But I also see no issue having a speed limiter initiated by tapping the speed limit symbol on the screen when not in cruise. Maybe there are better options but there’s no shortage of possibilities.

M3 is small ….to some people …..it’s like a go cart in comparison to my 630dGT Beemer in both physical size and driving 🤣. Absolute cinch to park in a supermarket whereas the BM was a bit of a tight squeeze😁
Well then your Beemer is too big too. Let's face it, cars are getting bigger and bigger for little real gain. If we all had cars that were smaller and more appropriate to the amount of people who were usually in them, there would be a lot less congestion on the roads and a lot more space in car parks!

You don’t need a new stalk e.g. initiate cruise as normal and if you want to convert that to a limiter function press down one more time (not a double tap like for autopilot but two singles). But I also see no issue having a speed limiter initiated by tapping the speed limit symbol on the screen when not in cruise. Maybe there are better options but there’s no shortage of possibilities.
So entering a town after coming off the motorway where you were using TACC your single press would engage TACC for a few seconds before you then press again to get to speed limiter.

Doesn't sound good to me.

I think the problem is there is no requirement for this in America and so……
Mandatory Speed Limiters on Cars - 2022

I'm not sure if the above is still going to be a requirement for the UK but it certainly is being implemented in France. They can be turned off (at the moment) but then so can 'traditional' speed limiters. The bit I'm unclear about is whether this is for cars sold in the EU or manufactured there. I also wonder if Tesla would suggest their current system meets this requirement.

Well then your Beemer is too big too. Let's face it, cars are getting bigger and bigger for little real gain. If we all had cars that were smaller and more appropriate to the amount of people who were usually in them, there would be a lot less congestion on the roads and a lot more space in car parks!
Congestion is nothing to do with size of car. It’s to do with the tools behind the wheel. Look at any multilane carriageway in UK nowadays where “undeetaking” is illegal. You’ll see some tool pottering down in lane 2,3 or 4 not overtaking anything. That tool is effectively taking up multiple lanes by doing so “because he feels safer not going in the “truck” lane”.
Or the other tools that block junctions because they’re very important & it’s imperative they get into that turning immediately (even if they can’t fit). Those are the congestion reasons😉

• Disagree
Reactions: adsheff
So entering a town after coming off the motorway where you were using TACC your single press would engage TACC for a few seconds before you then press again to get to speed limiter.

Doesn't sound good to me.

For goodness sake @GRiLLA ! That was just an example that came to mind! I'm not suggesting this is necessarily the best or only way of doing it... it was just one way after a couple of minutes reflection. You seem determined to believe this would be hard to implement.

Reactions: adsheff and wasifm
Mandatory Speed Limiters on Cars - 2022

I'm not sure if the above is still going to be a requirement for the UK but it certainly is being implemented in France. They can be turned off (at the moment) but then so can 'traditional' speed limiters. The bit I'm unclear about is whether this is for cars sold in the EU or manufactured there. I also wonder if Tesla would suggest their current system meets this requirement.
Those are different - it's a bit of an annoyance that the legislation used the term 'limiter' as really they're not.

Primarily they're to be delivered through feedback on the accelerator - when you reach the speed limit you have to push down a little harder to go faster. Or failing that beeps/visual cues - Tesla already do that so may already conform to the rules depending on how it's implemented in each country (we may and up with it forced on by default, most people leave it switched off at the moment).

What is *not* being proposed - and this is where the article is wrong - is anything to force you to follow a specific speed limit.. it's still your choice - it's mainly for people not paying attention and speeding without realizing it.

Original announcement of it.. Parliament approves EU rules requiring life-saving technologies in vehicles | News | European Parliament