Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you use autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or an alternative explanation, it just simply implemented the long standing functionality that (often rapidly) slows the car to the speed of an adjacent slow moving lane to prevent speeding past a lane where someone may suddenly pull out from. It indicates this behaviour by showing chevrons and any alignment with a gap in traffic was purely coincidental.

That functionality has been around for over 3 years and nothing to do with FSD beta.
1678795549312.png

If you're in the left lane you're going to Manchester. If you're not, you're not. We were in lane 2 and the car knew we needed to go left.

• Informative
Reactions: Wattsisname
View attachment 917401

If you're in the left lane you're going to Manchester. If you're not, you're not. We were in lane 2 and the car knew we needed to go left.

Difficult to fully picture your circumstance, but this is one example of mine from 3 years back. The important take away for me is that adjacent did not have to mean immediately next to, in this case separated by chevrons and another entry road lane. As the dashcam images showed, the lane and vehicles being speed matched were a significant distance away. I didn't mention chevrons at the time as I hadn't noticed them due to looking at screen not being my main priority, but when it has subsequently behaved similarly, the chevrons on visualisation screen were present. You can see the chevrons on the release note image.

It does appear folk have different experiences. In the past when I was still game to play:
A road happily barrel towards a tight bend then cr@p out as it turns in..no looking ahead.
9n dual carriageway with a bend comin up it decided to jink into a lay-by instead and run out of road. I ca#pped myself sorting that .
On dual carriageway deciding to take a sudden left turn into a side road for no reason. That was fun at 60mph.
On motorways 3 timed it has done s full on emergency stop at 70mph with no reason or consideration for the closeness of cars behind with one occasion having white van man fishtailing all over the place.
It got to the point where I only ever use FSD on quiet motorway stretches with no-one within 7+carlengths. I don't care how good one's reflexes are and admit my age doesn't help .it just wasn't worth the stress .
On the other hand it excellent driven by me when I need to pass a tractor on a b road....
And the stupid screen menus and lack of cell coverage means pulling over to change things like phone or radio inputs and stuff.

happily barrel towards a tight bend then cr@p out as it turns in..no looking ahead.

I don't think (but I don't know) that it can look ahead and determine curvature of an upcoming bend (if it is following a car that will help - provided the lead car is not another Tesla on AP !!), if that's correct then I think approach speed for a bend is down to (accuracy of) map data?

I ca#pped myself sorting that

I bet! If you could reliably get it to use the layby to overtake that would be a handsome demo-for-mates ...

one occasion having white van man fishtailing all over the place.

maybe some DEV wag put that in deliberately? Hehehe ...

I don't think (but I don't know) that it can look ahead and determine curvature of an upcoming bend (if it is following a car that will help - provided the lead car is not another Tesla on AP !!), if that's correct then I think approach speed for a bend is down to (accuracy of) map data?
Map data no good.. roads change
Just don't go faster than you can stop in the viewable distance ahead. There might be a child, stalled car, loose sheep, fallen tree or whatever round that blind corner..

But, for me, AP is removing a big chunk of driver-workload - which is a bit of a surprise to me as I've done a lot more miles than average all my adult life, enjoyed driving and never thought of it as taxing. The change of role from steerer to observer is something I'm comfortable with and definitely means I arrive significantly more refreshed (than used to be the case with ICE). Some of that may be quieter cabin ... or just "smug" as proposed by one psychologist I read!
For me AP is akin to having an attentive passenger in the car but without the distraction of conversation, "two sets of eyes are better than one" etc.

There have been a few occasions where it has spotted, highlighted or acted on a potential problem before me which I find reassuring. Likewise I tend to find journeys with AP to be a more relaxing experience and as for the bongs when engaging/disengaging, the noise really doesn't bother me in the slightest (hardly notice it especially with music playing).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just don't go faster than you can stop in the viewable distance ahead. There might be a child, stalled car, loose sheep, fallen tree or whatever round that blind corner..
Which reminds me of my old driving instructor - a good old straight talking Eastender! We'd just negotiated a series of blind curves, when he slammed the brakes on (dual control), and calmly said, " Can you f**ing see round f**ing corners? Well don't f**ing drive as if you can!". I've never forgotten it.

A few people have said AP for stop/start traffic. Definitely not. Even in Chill mode the acceleration is too aggressive.
But not in my car or in the previous one either.

Follow distance is set at 5 & on two recent journeys, the M6 section J10 to J6 was all stop/start & as it always does on AP, the car gently moves and stops without intervention (Standard mode).

Me too ... but on AP I ignore it.
Ah...halcyon days...I lived in Suffolk for fifteen years. Charming drivers in the main. However, here in France, one sign of weakness (such as simple driving courtesy) and the pack descends on you. Given the average French drivers penchant for keeping a distance of about 2.0 metres from the vehicle in front...at 130KPH, AP distance 2 is like leaving the equivalent of a car park which they will contemptuously fill in seconds in the manner of lions scarfing down a lost baby deer.

Me too ... but on AP I ignore it. I have AP follow-distance set to max.
I find myself more and more inclined to ignore those little ( and larger) annoyances so thoughtlessly perpetrated on our roads ( and everyone else's.)

My own driving life will not have been wholly innocent of such behaviour.

Irrational though it seem, I believe my new found insouciance is due in great part to driving an EV; just knowing that velvet acceleration is there when required.

So yes, set to max and let them get on with it. Playing catchup can be fun later...
...oops! I have relapsed🙄

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I use it (EAP) for 99% of motorway driving. Occasionally I'll need to disconnect it for a lane change that isn't "simple". Of the 23,000 miles on the car I'd guess that 22,500 have been under Autopilot. I hate driving. Any thrills I need I can get from doing 0-65 on the motorway slip road.

Ah...halcyon days...I lived in Suffolk for fifteen years. Charming drivers in the main. However, here in France, one sign of weakness (such as simple driving courtesy) and the pack descends on you. Given the average French drivers penchant for keeping a distance of about 2.0 metres from the vehicle in front...at 130KPH, AP distance 2 is like leaving the equivalent of a car park which they will contemptuously fill in seconds in the manner of lions scarfing down a lost baby deer.
Your all year round experience trumps my few weeks a year in which context, I have always enjoyed driving in France despite their predictable foibles; you just know that little Citroen is going to pull out well before the semi which is barely slower than they. I just love their roads many rural ones bettering out city streets and as for the rest: vive la difference and pay close attention.

Here, I'd rather drive Suffolk than Surrey or Sussex. ( hopefully, I will hold to that after this weekend's trip to that county).
🙂
Apologies for thread deviation; I blame my innate AP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean.