Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with REUS. Very Very nice. No issues. They came to Hawaii for install. Give them a call and see when they might be in DC area next. They travel all over the place.

If you plan to go all out, then I'm certain the Reus and @Dickerns suggested would probably be best, but for the $ I don't think you can do better than the LH, especially considering there's no wiring modifications when you do the LH option.
BTW I'm not affiliated with them in any way (as you can see on the 59 page thread, I'm constantly lambasting them)

Cliff @ Reus is coming to the DC metro area in January. Call him, or PM me and I'll put you in touch with him. Cliff goes over and beyond for his customers.

What system did they install for you? I've heard people rave about Reus, but I have yet to see the specific details about their systems.

I'd also recommend Reus, like you I drove around with the factory HiFi audio to get a baseline then went for the upgrade, I'm quite happy with the the result. I would definitely call it an audiophile level upgrade!! I went with what they call the 2.5 system it uses most of the components of there high end 3 system, and is basically just lacking the 2nd sub and extra amp for it. As it stands the 2.5 system has more then enough bass to overpower the system with the sub knob turned all the way otherwise it's quite ballenced. One of the other benefits of Reus is there willing to migrate your system to another car for just labor cost and possibly travel costs in your case...

I have an aftermarket system in my 85D:
Focal 165 flax, 6.5 and tweeters
Addison bit 10 d processor
JL xd700 amp
Nvx sub

I'm about to install something similar in my new p100d, but probably with a second sub and a distinct amp for the subs.

I just can't get comfortable with the LH and reus systems being custom manufactured by those companies. I'd rather have something built by the companies above.

Interesting comments. I have torn apart cars in my earlier life. Competed in IASCA events and did very well. On my second Tesla and the audio can be so much better.....

I'm 50 so I can't hear anything anymore...:) too much Rush...

Although, If I do ever upgrade my UHFS, it will be Reus...

Reactions: Galve2000
Interesting comments. I have torn apart cars in my earlier life. Competed in IASCA events and did very well. On my second Tesla and the audio can be so much better.....

I'm 50 so I can't hear anything anymore...:) too much Rush...

Although, If I do ever upgrade my UHFS, it will be Reus...

I'm curious why you would pick a reus. Especially coming from an iasca background. Obviously nobody shows up at an sqc with an LH or reus system. It's all about choosing components and tuning.

Would you choose reus because it's so turnkey? Do you feel like you're making any compromises?

I would consider my self an audio head but I do like good sounds and can appreciate the difference. I bought an inventory Model S and it doesnt have the UHFS, just standard sound. Couple of questions 1) is there a big difference between the standard sound and UHFS? 2) Can I replace the speakers and subs from my standard sound system with the UHFS out of another tesla (I have seen a few for sale online, and would love to if its possible/worth while) 3) Do any of you DMV based folks meet up anywhere?

I'm curious why you would pick a reus. Especially coming from an iasca background. Obviously nobody shows up at an sqc with an LH or reus system. It's all about choosing components and tuning.

Would you choose reus because it's so turnkey? Do you feel like you're making any compromises?

My IASCA background is 20+ years old. Do you remember Richard Clark and his Grand National? That's my world.

I'm all about SQ vs. garage disposal bass. I'm too old now so sorry for the reference. I've listened to one Reus system and it floats my boat. I'm 1hr away from LH and really want those guys to be successful. Haven't listened to any of their cars.

Recently did a custom install (upgrade from standard sound), could not be happier: Upgrading standard sound on Model S and using Chromecast
  • Helix Pro DSP
  • JL-Audio HD900 5ch Amp
  • Focal ES165 KX2 Component Speakers: These are two way speakers that replaced the front door speakers and the tweeters.
  • Focal 165AC Coaxial Speakers: These replaced the rear door speakers
  • NVX Subwoofer and Enclosure (without the amplifier)
I like to EQ myself (But most shops can do it too) and I wanted to listen to Tidal through digital input not Bluetooth.

For the audiophile system that I'm considering, someone pointed out today that the three ZERO amplifiers previously recommended to me are NOT practical for use in a Tesla because they are too power-hungry. What do you all think?

Qty Item Name Manufacturer Item Description
2 ZERO4 Mosconi 4-CHANNEL AUDIOPHILE AMPLIFIER: 2 X 100W, 2 X 200W
1 ZERO3 Mosconi 2-CHANNEL AUDIOPHILE AMPLIFIER

Folks, it turns out there are a lot of options out there for those who are willing to spend a bit. On December 2, user Xenoiphobe, on another thread, posted some information about a company named Safe and Sound Mobile Electronics which specializes in custom car audio system design and installation. Just as Xenoiphobe mentioned on the thread, I gave them a call and asked for Matt Schaeffer who has installed high-end audio in several Teslas. We spent about 20 - 30 minutes on the call where he went into details on high-end speakers such as the Focal Utopia series, high-end amps, DSPs, custom fabrication etc... I called him again the following day and he spent his time to answer all my questions and per my request, he also prepared a quote for an mind-blowing audiophile system. I have not yet decided what I'm going to do, but I am thinking about it. With the proposed setup, I would replace all the speakers with audiophile grade speakers and 10" sub which would all be powered by 3 AB class amplifiers and a super wicked DSP.

I highly recommend that you call Matt for your specific questions.

Did you go through with your purchase? I called Matt and also visited with him last week. He has the credentials. He was named the 2016 best installer! When I went to the store, he just finished an installed that was absolutely mind blowing. I am leaning very hard in going with him. I think that I will let him do my sub first enclosed in a box and next year do the rest.....

I'm currently evaluating the following quotes, but I intend to make a decision within 72 hours.

Attachments

• MosconiClassD_FocalUtopia.png
    MosconiClassD_FocalUtopia.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 320
  • MosconiZeros_FocalUtopia_System.png
    MosconiZeros_FocalUtopia_System.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 256
  • ArcAudio_AudioFrog_System.png
    ArcAudio_AudioFrog_System.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 241
there are elements of both that I like:

Love the Lithium Ion Bat Mobile Battery - i plan to get the same one

I have the Blackvue 650 which has one 1080P and one 720P camera. I would op for the new Thinkware F770 with twin 1080P cameras. Also dump the Power Magic Pro - its junk and the Telsa system prevents the Low Voltage battery from discharging (the load is like 0.1 AMP x 2 1080P cameras) and will have no impact to the battery.

Audio Frog is a competition grade speaker and a real value for the price point. I went with Hertz in my other car, but Audio Frog is impressive. Other personal preference I find Focal to be too pricey and not worth the price point for the sound in an audio environment.

I would also pay extra for the SoundSkin treatment - paying close attention to the wheel wells, trunk and front "firewall" - space behind the frunk. see this link
Vehicle Area Treatments | Sound Deadener Showdown

The quieter you make this car the more stunning your sound will be! Finally when they finally finish development of carbon fiber wheels, buy them to reduce road noise from attenuating into the suspension and ultimately into the cabin. see www.esecarbon.com (I've had these on order for over a year and still waiting) second option is www.carbonrevolution.com

I just want to hear it after you get it!

Last edited:
I'm currently awaiting delivery of my Model S P100D with the UHFS option. Unfortunately, after hearing complaints about the sound quality of the UHFS package from so many owners, I want to explore alternatives. I would like all audiophiles out there to chime in and provide the best aftermarket system for the model S for a budget under $5K. I recently listened to the Burmester High-End 3D Surround Sound system in a Mercedes Benz S class and I was blown away.

I must confess that I came very close to ordering the Light Harmonics S.12P yesterday, but I after reading through 59 pages of this thread Vendor - Premium Audio System for Tesla Model S by Light Harmonic, I had some serious concerns due to the following reasons:
  1. Unreliable amplifier - The amplifier kept failing for some people and they had to send it back. This is a deal breaker for me as I would not want to go through the pain of removing the amp every time it fails.
  2. Mediocre Sub included in bundle - There were complaints that the LM sub is worse than the stock sub. However, this is not a deal breaker because some folks reported great success with the SOUNDQUBED HDS-208 sub which I could also get.
  3. Lack of customer service - Light Harmonics appears to be very unresponsive to customers' inquiries. This is not a deal breaker provided that the product is very reliable.
I also heard great things about Reus, but I did not see any details about what they would install. Since they're not based in the DC metro area, the wait time for their engineer to fly to DC can be quite long i.e. it can take months.

To all audiophiles, please weigh in and provide your recommendation.

LIGHT HARMONIC did not reply to any of my emails either. I would not deal with them. Instead, I purchased NVX Kit from SonicElectronics; great customer service, and great products, highly recommended.

Reactions: davidc18
REUS system here, and I am thrilled with the result and performance for the cost. It's not the "best sounding Tesla in the world", but a very professional job that sounds exquisite. I started with the UHFS, which really helps as they actually incorporate the Tesla Sub as a very limited and dedicated mid-range provider. The real key is the tweeter replacements, the amps, and the crossovers. Most importantly, I didn't have to do any installation or whatever, left it all to them.

• Love
Reactions: Tech_Guy
I have the basic system in my P100D. First thing I have done so far was to get sound insulation in the doors. This made a huge difference. Made the standard speakers sound much better with more bass. Will like add an amp and custom sub enclosure in one of the back side well spaces.

So let's put it in context to current day (End of July 2017).

Is it possible to get a decent audio system upgrade for under 1-2K? Or would you get the premium upgrades package for 5K (heated seats, biodefense mode AND Tesla audio upgrade)?