Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not familiar with any variants of the 70, other than the software limited 75kWh batteries that were put in during the transition to the S75/75D. Those should, if anything, charge faster due to not hitting their actual ceiling charge.

The original 70s were actually 70s, not software limited. They used the same cells/formulation as the 85kWh packs. While the 75kWh packs use the same cells as the 90kWh packs.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not familiar with any variants of the 70, other than the software limited 75kWh batteries that were put in during the transition to the S75/75D. Those should, if anything, charge faster due to not hitting their actual ceiling charge.
Your pre-facelift 70D does not have the same battery organization as my post facelift 60D/75D battery. I'm not an expert at keeping track of all the types, but to my knowledge, the former has a 375VDC battery (15 x 25V), or perhaps 400VDC like the 85s . The latter - in the facelifted versions - has 350VDC (14 x 25V). I've never seen mine charged at triple digit kWs ever, though I've not exactly kept an eagle eye on this. I do recall it always cranks up to 96-98 at the outset and then tapers, with the taper itself seemingly unchanged from 2 years ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Your pre-facelift 70D does not have the same battery organization as my post facelift 60D/75D battery. I'm not an expert at keeping track of all the types, but to my knowledge, the former has a 375VDC battery (15 x 25V), or perhaps 400VDC like the 85s . The latter - in the facelifted versions - has 350VDC (14 x 25V). I've never seen mine charged at triple digit kWs ever, though I've not exactly kept an eagle eye on this. I do recall it always cranks up to 96-98 at the outset and then tapers, with the taper itself seemingly unchanged from 2 years ago.
If the poster above who stated the 75 battery was using the same newer chemistry of the 90 pack, that explains a lot. If a friend were looking for a MS, I would recommend avoiding the 90kWh battery because these were the "first generation" of a "new" chemistry that MAY have higher degradation than the 60/70 and 85 batteries. Jury is still out, but there are multiple reports on the 90s.

The 70kWh packs used the same 25 volt modules as the 85kWh packs and have 14 modules=350 volts.
The real 60kWh packs used 14 modules with "missing" cells, but the same voltage. (fewer cells in parallel.)

The 60/75kWh packs use the same 25 volt modules as the 90kWh packs and have 14 modules=350 volts.

Not sure about all of them, but yes some have been spotted to be software limited 85 batteries. They start charging with up to 120 kW peak.
What ever happened with that anyway? Was it just a brief period where they were shipping with 85's or is that the norm now?
Wondering if for a short while they had some production constraints (or a surplus of 85 refurbs) and went with refurb 85 packs in the 75's until the 75 pack production came back?

What ever happened with that anyway? Was it just a brief period where they were shipping with 85's or is that the norm now?
Wondering if for a short while they had some production constraints (or a surplus of 85 refurbs) and went with refurb 85 packs in the 75's until the 75 pack production came back?

I think it was just a temporary thing. I assume they had some 85 packs on the shelves and that was an great way to get them sold. I don't think they are constrained by battery production of the 18650 any more.

It was just temporary and if I recall correctly, they were all sent to northern Europe.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Fiver and David99
There is a lot of things that affect battery aging that we don't know about and even Tesla is learning about it as they go. And they are super up tight about it. Other than giving you a 'warning' not to keep charging to 100% for several days in a row there is really now guidance what to avoid to make the battery last longer. It's a topic Tesla avoids talking about. I believe it's because talking about a negative (battery losing capacity of the life of the car) isn't something they want to be discussing directly.

^^thats probably part of it, but the other part would be that likely they handle most of the battery tending via their BMS and there isn’t a lot owners can do other than their general suggested guidelines (don’t run it all the way down to zero or keep it at 100 too often and don’t SC all the time, etc) to keep their batteries healthy, so they don’t want owners to spend time worrying about it. Everything else is handled by the BMS and if any changes are needed they’ll update the software.

Reactions: David99
image.jpg
Some stations have ridiculously low KW such as this one in Laurel, MD, it never moved from the 2KW mark.

Some stations have ridiculously low KW such as this one in Laurel, MD, it never moved from the 2KW mark.
I've seen as low as 1 kW in my car when Supercharging to 98%. However, it is pointless to Supercharge that high since it is quicker to just drive a bit slower when stretching the range on a long trip leg. That's faster than trying Supercharge the last few percent at 1 to 2 kW.

• Informative
Reactions: MMC- and sorka
It turns out that having a 90D does not automatically mean problems. It was in the mid 70s in the sun, and I had good rates throughout this charge. This was ten minutes in, but the taper matched what I would expect: 110kW at 32%, 86kW at 62%, stopped at 68kW and 70%.

Screenshot_20180507-150751.png

Last edited: