Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Initial 1000 HW2 cars getting AP software 12/31/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of people reported .185 updates today on ev-fw.com I wonder if these people actually got them today or on NYE and are just reporting them today.
Just because a car was in the lucky 1000 doesn't mean it got the update immediately. A lot can depend on whether the car is in a place that gives it wifi or has a strong LTE connection. Some cars approved for the update still may not have downloaded it.

I think one phrase describes those that are griping about not getting X, while generally discounting all that they are getting: "sense of entitlement".
download.jpg

Reactions: SmartElectric
Tesla not moving from wifi tonight :cool:
Ha! On my last update, I was at a SuperCharger without wifi, and my first notification was from Verizon, when it said "you are running out of your bandwidth allowance", and I pretty quickly realized what was going on! Indeed, I had tether on, and my car was connected to my cell phone service, and had pulled in the entire update through the phone :eek: I wasn't complaining, mind you. This was 2.50.180, which had the headlights update, which I was very happy to receive. (I religiously park my car next to a dedicated Wifi AP near where I park the car, and make certain that it gets good wifi, which it obviously does because I see it on the apps every night and there is no cell service there. I got a map update that way, but not the firmware, but I like having contact with the car there so it is important.)

Ok, as of this very moment, on TeslaFi, I am seeing:

Software Version, Count, Percent
2.50.185, 6, 1.9% <-- HW2 cars
2.50.180, 44, 13.6% <-- HW2 cars (including mine)
2.50.114, 205, 63.5% <-- HW1 cars

Here is the 2.50.185 breakdown on TeslaFi:

Model, Vin, Odometer, State Location
X90D, 028XXX, 2,030, CA America
X60D, 024XXX, 892, CA America
S90D, 172XXX, 482, CA America
S60, 176XXX, 233, 92121 America (that is a zip code instead of a state)
S60, 174XXX, 1,425, CA America
S60, 171XXX, 587, California America

I'd like the following information on early HW2 Tesla Vision, so if anybody notices, I'd like a feel for the answers. Since I am very pessimistic about their implementation (a rare for me :( ), please don't test these unless you are 100% sure the testing is safe.
  • How it handles cross-freezing point situation. I.e., what does car do when you hit 34ºF, 33ºF, 32ºF, 31ºF, 30ºF, both in falling and climbing, near to, etc. The stuff on the road could be frozen ice, and/or water covered ice. Does the car detect that situation and slow down in ways it does not at other temperatures? Are the sensors able to pick up wet ice or ice on the road, or wet snow, etc.? Can the software?
  • Does it use the light coming from tail lamps and head lamps of cars (or anything) to know what is intervening, during low visibility situations? This is like detecting a black hole in space: you know what's there by what you don't see. This is a way to speed up in fog: following a car in front of you, as an example, in a situation in which you would need to drive somewhat slower when there is no car in front of you. Obviously, TeslaVision can see through different types of objects that humans cannot, in some cases. This technique could also be used in medium and high visibility situations in which the intervening objects (people wearing all black at night, road-colored moving objects) are not high contrast. A computer could more quickly trace missing light than a human could, and correlate it as a particular sized and shaped object moving through space in a particular direction, and avoid hitting those who don't wish to be seen.
  • How far does it look ahead at traffic? Can it see what is happening on a road 10, 20, or 30 cars down the road, as it looks down the line past many cars? Can it see the many cars of the many lanes doing their many things?
  • Does the car slow down for intersections, blind corners, and other response time important zones?
  • Can the car see the curbs in the middle of roads that have concrete islands, where the curbs are almost the same color as the roads, especially those curbs that don't have any space between the driving lane and the curb? (I've noticed a disturbing trend of urban areas implementing curbs that are almost in the driving lanes.)
  • How does the software handle divided highways as opposed to divided freeways? (In California, a freeway is a divided road in which you are "free" to drive higher speeds, unencumbered by problems such as intersections and stops, except for merging and leaving traffic, whereas a highway is a road that is meant for heavy long distance travel but is not unencumbered by problems, since it could have intersections, opposing lanes that are immediately adjacent (no division), cross roads, stops, etc. Obviously, politicians in California don't like cars, so have sought to limit freeway upkeep, and many freeways slow to a crawl, but that isn't supposed to happen.)

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
Nola_Mike: I have just reviewed part of my documents. The problem is that I believed I purchased a car with FUNCTIONAL (what we now call) AP1 software and AP2 software to be delivered in the future with no promised date. There was either a misrepresentation or a lack of representation of the actual facts that the car which was touted (on the news and more) to have better than AP1 hardware. My situation may be different than others. I did not follow the details on line. I test drove an AP1 car (with, I am sure, the intent to sell me a vehicle) in December of 2015. The upgraded hardware announcement in Oct 2016 plus the deadline for free charging at superchargers was the trigger for me to act. Your tone is insulting. I am not petty. I am not whining about a delayed software update. I didn't realize the problem until I got in the car to drive it home and the display was missing along with the functions I knew should be there. So please do not trivialize my problem. I paid for something I was promised and did not receive. I am verifying that I was 'promised' now. The agreement mandates arbitration, not litigation. That may or may not prevent a class action. And frankly, I don't know if there is one of 500 people like me. It is moronic to whine about a software delay if one purchased the vehicle KNOWING that the hardware was not functional. I was offered a discount for not having FULL AP2 use because they told me THAT would be delayed. That was OK. I was never told AP1 function was not included. I accept your apology.

I'm sort of in the same boat with you JohnFTL. I test drove an AP1 car with functioning Autosteer and the sales rep fully demonastred the capabilities of the system with no mentioned that if I purchase an AP2 car, the features would not work upon delivery of the car.

Honestly I can see both sides on this issue. Lets say Tesla kept selling AP1 cars until AP2 software was fully functioning and then they allows buyers to order with AP2 hardware - would people really want that? Or would they rather have non functioning AP2 for 3-6 months but then have the latest iteration? I was in those exact shoes with an inventory car - I had either the option of an AP1 or an AP2 car, and I knew at this point already that AP2 was not functional out of the box - however I did have the expectation that it would be working by end of December which obviously did not happen.

As Ive mentioned before, the issue here is communication. And it really feels as if Tesla is afraid/skittish about releasing the truth in fear that people would hold off their purchase. It should be front and center that the functions do not work, you shouldn't have to dig through their website reading blog posts to find out. Hell, they should have sign off that you understand the functions are not functional.

Nola_Mike: I have just reviewed part of my documents. The problem is that I believed I purchased a car with FUNCTIONAL (what we now call) AP1 software and AP2 software to be delivered in the future with no promised date. There was either a misrepresentation or a lack of representation of the actual facts that the car which was touted (on the news and more) to have better than AP1 hardware. My situation may be different than others. I did not follow the details on line. I test drove an AP1 car (with, I am sure, the intent to sell me a vehicle) in December of 2015. The upgraded hardware announcement in Oct 2016 plus the deadline for free charging at superchargers was the trigger for me to act. Your tone is insulting. I am not petty. I am not whining about a delayed software update. I didn't realize the problem until I got in the car to drive it home and the display was missing along with the functions I knew should be there. So please do not trivialize my problem. I paid for something I was promised and did not receive. I am verifying that I was 'promised' now. The agreement mandates arbitration, not litigation. That may or may not prevent a class action. And frankly, I don't know if there is one of 500 people like me. It is moronic to whine about a software delay if one purchased the vehicle KNOWING that the hardware was not functional. I was offered a discount for not having FULL AP2 use because they told me THAT would be delayed. That was OK. I was never told AP1 function was not included. I accept your apology.

Believe it or not I'm not completely unsympathetic of your particular situation. I'm also not apologizing so you can accept or not accept whatever you want. I stand by my reaction to your threatening to sue, class action suits, etc. - I think that is ridiculous at this point in time.

And if you want a functioning Autopilot then your best bet is likely to sit tight and wait. If you're just interested in "punishing" Tesla for your perceived slight while not taking any responsibility for not researching more thoroughly your 100k purchase, then go ahead and do whatever it is you think you have to do.

I'm sort of in the same boat with you JohnFTL. I test drove an AP1 car with functioning Autosteer and the sales rep fully demonastred the capabilities of the system with no mentioned that if I purchase an AP2 car, the features would not work upon delivery of the car.

Honestly I can see both sides on this issue. Lets say Tesla kept selling AP1 cars until AP2 software was fully functioning and then they allows buyers to order with AP2 hardware - would people really want that? Or would they rather have non functioning AP2 for 3-6 months but then have the latest iteration? I was in those exact shoes with an inventory car - I had either the option of an AP1 or an AP2 car, and I knew at this point already that AP2 was not functional out of the box - however I did have the expectation that it would be working by end of December which obviously did not happen.

As Ive mentioned before, the issue here is communication. And it really feels as if Tesla is afraid/skittish about releasing the truth in fear that people would hold off their purchase. It should be front and center that the functions do not work, you shouldn't have to dig through their website reading blog posts to find out. Hell, they should have sign off that you understand the functions are not functional.

There are many in the same boat but nothing we can do now but wait and see how long it takes. As of writing this reply the Tesla order page still shows that expected functionality will be available by the end of December 2016. I also assumed that this meant that we would have existing capability until the new AP 2.0 software was rolled out and I did not expect to not have any functionality. There was no communication besides the notice on the website and I spoke to several people from Tesla from my order in November to my pickup in December and none mentioned this.

All I am upset with is that I paid for this functionality upfront and that is rolled into my loan payment. For what I saved spending $8k upfront instead of $10k later after interest over time it will be realized if I actually save anything. If FSD is not released in 1-2 years I would have been better off buying it when released and saved the interest. I was hopeful until this half baked partial Beta release 2 days ago that some of the AP 2.0 features might have been rolled out shortly but after seeing them only release a Beta to 1000 users and its only activated between 17-35 miles an hour how many of those 1000 people will even travel under 35mph to be able to test anything. Having it activate only during that speed really makes no sense to me.

Why keep touting and showing off the FSD 2.0 on the Tesla website? The first thing you see and they tout is their Demo of their new HW2 Full Self Driving Video. They keep pushing the features and benefits but none of it is available. I think they should stop taking money and stop advertising the function until its fully ready for customers. I think at that point as someone else mentioned everyone that purchased a new vehicle during the time it was not available should be offered to purchase it at no additional fees.

Same boat her Johnftl. Test drive AP1 car and was told AP2 would start with comporable AP1 but the updates would surpass AP1 capabilities starting in January 2017. I think most of this could have been avoided if the salespeople were better educated. Everything I was told by the 3 different salespeople I worked with have been proven to be false. I honestly think the sales staff at Tesla don't know any different and were not intentionally misleading me but were telling me what they believed to be facts.

I agree with HX_ guy 100%. I received my 90D several weeks ago and was completely shocked that the AP was non-functional. (I knew from my research the AP2 activation would be delayed, but I didn't realize there would be no AP functionality) In addition, even though I had signed up for enhanced AP, my car did not have the feature activated. 2 weeks after I bought the car, I had to redo all my clouding paperwork. There is much confusion regarding AP1, AP2 and the full autonomous (which I think is a complete waste at this point). I am fairly patient, but I think full complete disclosure would alleviate a lot of these issues.

Believe it or not I'm not completely unsympathetic of your particular situation. I'm also not apologizing so you can accept or not accept whatever you want. I stand by my reaction to your threatening to sue, class action suits, etc. - I think that is ridiculous at this point in time.

And if you want a functioning Autopilot then your best bet is likely to sit tight and wait. If you're just interested in "punishing" Tesla for your perceived slight while not taking any responsibility for not researching more thoroughly your 100k purchase, then go ahead and do whatever it is you think you have to do.

It's not the consumers responsibliy to vette the sales staff to see if what you were told to be true or false. It's Tesla's responsibility to educate their sales staff to tell the consumer accurate info.

It's not the consumers responsibliy to vette the sales staff to see if what you were told to be true or false. It's Tesla's responsibility to educate their sales staff to tell the consumer accurate info.

Given the consistency of the inaccurate information provided to many people, it seems clear that Tesla educated their sales staff to provide inaccurate information.

Wanted to update the forum, Received the 20.50.185 SW update on 12/31 at 10pm.
On 1/1, drove the car for about 16 miles and was not able to engage the EAP features (camera calibration). Today morning (1/2), drove the car, and suddenly the dash started showing a car in front and TACC started working :). Drove about 40 miles and it worked without any issues on freeway and internal roads (speeds 0-70mph). Not able to engage autosteer though-either get a message that speed is too high or Autosteer not available on this road.. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

As of now, we can all agree that Tesla autopilot 2.0 with FSD is vaporware. Not even sales reps have seen basic EAP working in the wild. We have only seen some carefully edited and scripted videos.

My car was purchased with a full understanding that enhanced auto pilot ( better than the cars I test drove with a functioning basic autopilot) would be functional by the end of 2016 which clearly has not happened. Everyone is trying to be patient, but patience will eventually run out. I personally I'm willing to give it another month. That is more than reasonable considering all of the deceptive marketing and sales tactics.

I have a come across several people who have put money down on upcoming model S cars who insist that the car will be able to maneuver around the driveway and get it back into the garage "because that's what the salesman told them. " I try to temper their expectations and point to my car as an example that lacks any driver assistance. The general public has been force-fed lies to garner sales.

I have even heard from Tesla that the car is supposed to be able to drive itself from coast to coast by the end of 2017 and start picking up ridesharing rides on it's own while the owner is at work to generate extra revenue for teslas version of the Uber network. Mind you this is without any additional hardware. Some of that seems way beyond fantasy.

No one is more hopeful than me that I am totally wrong about all of this and a superior auto pilot with advanced collision prevention features and FSD is just around the corner. I would love it if Tesla proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Altes