Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like the i4 a lot more if they get rid of the rear seat middle hump and integration with Apple car play EV route. Otherwise, it’s a pretty good car.

It's an excellent underrated car. Rear air suspension, better audio system than the 3/Y (but worse than the 22-speaker system in the Model S), vastly quieter, has a hatchback (instead of trunk in the 3).

Again, it's a toss up between the Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, Model Y, and Mach-E Premium AWD ER to me. Each has weaknesses and strengths. The Ioniq 5 is definitely quieter and has a more comfortable suspension. I think it makes for a better urban city commuter car and the Y is slightly better for road tripping (due to SC network). I personally don't think EVs are suitable for road trips (especially in colder climates) but that's my opinion. They are perfect commuter appliances though. I'm still waiting for a Bronco-like EV for weekend fun.

Reactions: Engi_Nerd
I would like the i4 a lot more if they get rid of the rear seat middle hump and integration with Apple car play EV route. Otherwise, it’s a pretty good car.
I saw an i4 while driving around today. Man that ginormous kidney grille is really something else. I would think that on their EVs, where the grille is not actually necessary, they would take the opportunity to go back to their roots with the small kidney grille from decades ago. But they went with the complete opposite of that.

Anyway, I'm sure it's a great car, and I'm probably the 10 millionth person to comment on its grille, but even after seeing the i4 in pictures and videos plenty of times, it was quite jarring to see the huge grille in person for the first time.

I saw an i4 while driving around today. Man that ginormous kidney grille is really something else. I would think that on their EVs, where the grille is not actually necessary, they would take the opportunity to go back to their roots with the small kidney grille from decades ago. But they went with the complete opposite of that.

Anyway, I'm sure it's a great car, and I'm probably the 10 millionth person to comment on its grille, but even after seeing the i4 in pictures and videos plenty of times, it was quite jarring to see the huge grille in person for the first time.

Nah you are the 10th billionth person to comment on grille. About as many times as I've heard the 3/Y compared to a frog. Looks are very subjective.

Reactions: DrGriz
Sold the BMW i4 and leased an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD with the $7500 cap reduction a week ago.

If you asked me to choose between a Model Y, Mach-E Premium AWD ER, Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, and BMW i4 it would be difficult.. probably with the i4 slightly above the others but less practical due to the sedan form.

I think the GV60 or Electrified GV70 is closer to the BMW i4 than the Y/Mach-E/Ioniq5.

View attachment 921125

The Genesis GV60 is a very nice looking car with a horrible range. It has a sub 220, that totally kills it for me. My 2015 MS has about the same range as it now. Otherwise, love the design. It looks like a poor man Porsche. The finger ringer and face recognition , gimmicky.

There’s a crazy amount of bias out there, some of it now unconscious. It’s just the norm to treat Tesla as unfairly as you like these days and I’m sure most motoring journos have a good laugh about it. They do very nicely from all the trips and perks the major manufacturers (all but Tesla) give them - it’s quite a fun life. This is why most “reviews” and road tests are thinly-veiled advertisements and very few publications will ever say anything particularly damning about any vehicle from the majors. Been going on for decades.
I follow the motoring news and I’ve seen the same. Downplaying the range of non Tesla EVs and avoiding reporting how bad the non Tesla charging is. They complain about the interior of the Tesla yet fail to understand that perhaps Tesla want to do things differently. I will not switch to another manufacturer unless they sell their cars the same as Tesla. I get exciting seeing what’s coming. But then Tesla may get me to switch if the refresh the MY and add a manual wiper stalk. 😉

I follow the motoring news and I’ve seen the same. Downplaying the range of non Tesla EVs and avoiding reporting how bad the non Tesla charging is. They complain about the interior of the Tesla yet fail to understand that perhaps Tesla want to do things differently. I will not switch to another manufacturer unless they sell their cars the same as Tesla. I get exciting seeing what’s coming. But then Tesla may get me to switch if the refresh the MY and add a manual wiper stalk. 😉
I really don't get the car media's obsession with buttons and instrument clusters. I love the Model Y's interior and I don't want more screens, buttons, or any other crap in the interior. I totally get why others may prefer instrument clusters, buttons, etc. and that's great for them as every other car in the universe has this, but it's not objectively better like the car media makes it out to be. I have zero issues seeing what speed I'm going (seriously, it's in my peripheral vision) which seems to be an obsession with people that want an instrument cluster (you do have to look down to see your speed even with one). I have zero issues controlling settings in my Tesla as well, despite the dearth of buttons.

I really don't get the car media's obsession with buttons and instrument clusters. I love the Model Y's interior and I don't want more screens, buttons, or any other crap in the interior. I totally get why others may prefer instrument clusters, buttons, etc. and that's great for them as every other car in the universe has this, but it's not objectively better like the car media makes it out to be. I have zero issues seeing what speed I'm going (seriously, it's in my peripheral vision) which seems to be an obsession with people that want an instrument cluster (you do have to look down to see your speed even with one). I have zero issues controlling settings in my Tesla as well, despite the dearth of buttons.

Things can always be improved. Like a simple stalk for wipers...the current interface is beyond stupid especially with the half functioning Auto wiper setting. Also, I will be very annoyed if they ever got rid of the turn signal stalk...the capacitive buttons are dumb. I'm not going to even comment on the horn on Model S/X (complete brain fart on design). I have no issues with the rest though...better than the Ioniq 5 or EV6 implementation of their hard-to-see gauge cluster.

Then why does Tesla put an instrument cluster in their upscale models? At first, Tesla touted the "minimalist" design, but they know that the vast majority of drivers don't want to look to the right to find information, and that's why it's on the $100K+ models. It's purely a cost savings measure. Personally, after a couple of months of driving my wife's MY, mostly on road trips, I have come to rather loath this car. It never feels quite "right". Especially driving at night, having that black hole in front of me and having to re-focus my eyes from distance to up-close and dark to light to see speed and other info is a terrible experience. It kind of reminds me of Apple products. They have an attitude of "you will do things our way and you will like it".

Luckily, my wife has very different expectations of vehicles, and she actually really likes it, but for me, I am just really glad we got this thing on the cheap. It is always such a relief to go back to my Ioniq 5 after driving the MY for a few days. And for me, living in California, the only real advantage to Tesla is a non-issue, as the charging infrastructure is pretty good and getting better daily.

Then why does Tesla put an instrument cluster in their upscale models? At first, Tesla touted the "minimalist" design, but they know that the vast majority of drivers don't want to look to the right to find information, and that's why it's on the $100K+ models. It's purely a cost savings measure. Personally, after a couple of months of driving my wife's MY, mostly on road trips, I have come to rather loath this car. It never feels quite "right". Especially driving at night, having that black hole in front of me and having to re-focus my eyes from distance to up-close and dark to light to see speed and other info is a terrible experience. It kind of reminds me of Apple products. They have an attitude of "you will do things our way and you will like it".

Luckily, my wife has very different expectations of vehicles, and she actually really likes it, but for me, I am just really glad we got this thing on the cheap. It is always such a relief to go back to my Ioniq 5 after driving the MY for a few days. And for me, living in California, the only real advantage to Tesla is a non-issue, as the charging infrastructure is pretty good and getting better daily.
I drive my Wife's ID 4 a lot and it's no easier for me to see the speed on either car, I'm either looking down or to the right for a nano second. It was weird the first week I had the MY with no light from the instrument cluster at night, but now I like it and have no issue focusing after looking at the screen (I really don't think many do). I mean I get it, you like the instrument cluster there and traditional interiors. It's just that people who like the light there can't seem to ever get over the fact that it's a subjective feeling and they go on and on about it. My wife and I both prefer the "minimalist" designs, you don't -- we can both win.

I have zero idea what you're talking about with the apple comment. You are doing it Hyundai's way in the Ioniq 5 -- you like it and that's great but you didn't have any say in how they built their car. I would love more customization on the screen (change text size for example) but I don't think either car is particularly great at that (if my 2022 Santa Fe Hybrid hybrid was any indication).

Anyway, the Ioniq 5 is a very good car that definitely does some things that I prefer over Tesla but the instrument cluster is a very minor thing to me either way (pros and cons). Overall, I think screens are overrated in general as I pretty much know what speed I'm going at any given time , am rarely lost and for the most part am better off watching the road.

Put me in the category of "actually really likes it". I was apprehensive about Tesla's Model 3 single screen approach before I bought the car, but I was determined to go electric and thought that Tesla was the best choice in 2020 (and still is IMO). I got used to the Model 3 display after about a week and now far prefer Tesla's single screen to standard vehicle controls. Driving a vehicle with standard controls now gets on my nerves. To be sure, Tesla could better design aspects of its screen interface (like many Model 3/Y drivers, I still don't care for the wiper controls or the auto wiper functionality - and the big chunk of screen space used by the vehicle visualization could probably be put to better use in another way). But overall I am very happy and would not willingly go back to standard controls.

Jump in guys. It's a Hyundai.
I've had three and my son had two. (It took a long learning curve before either of us would vow to never, ever, ever consider anything with a Hyundai name on it).

The first Sante Fe saved my family in a crash. "I'll give it that." Or at least credit the airbags.

The Hyundai Tuscon rode like a bouncing brick and the mileage was nowhere near the EPA promise.
(When a Prius says 51 mpg, you get 51 and maybe even a bit more).

The Elantra promised 40 mg mileage and it never came close averaging 27 mpg at it's peak. They just keep returning it saying, "Everything checks out OK."

How could that be?? Heard of mileage gate? If they can lie about that, how much do you trust the rest of the car?

Hey, you could get compensation for the mileage deficit, but Hyundai made it so difficult that it wasn't worthwhile. You had to show up EVERY month at the dealership to collect your $17.32, while they spent an hour haranguing you to buy tires or another one of their pieces of junk. Sly lawyers too.

My son had two. Both were returned under the lemon law.
The first one was towed to service 9 times in the first 6 months. The second one got 12 mpg and the national engineer couldn't figure out why. They even removed the gas tank. A match in the tank would have been more appropriate. I should have known to stay away, when the first new one off the lost died on the second day.

My office manager got a used Accent that spent more time in the shop ("we don't find any problem") than it did in our lot, until she finally dumped it on some poor soul for about half of what she paid to it.

Buyer Beware? Sign up and get one, guys, if you like death by a thousand cuts. We complain about Tesla service. Geez. Don't even go there with Hyundai.
In all fairness, you guys owned the cheapest cars one could buy. I ve had a Santa Fe v6 and it went 180k without any problems. I rather buy a 20 year old used BMW with 10 owners than a new Elantra or the other car you mentioned.

I personally don’t need physical buttons and extra screens but there is a limit. Remove the signal stalk? Nope. Hated that on the Model S. Some new cars have removed side mirrors and replaced them cameras and displays. Yeah no thanks. Wiper and light controls should be physical too and the lack of them on my 3 and Y bother me because in FL rain I was also constantly adjusting wipers. Oh… Tesla wipers were garbage pre late-2022. My last Y (Austin built) was the only one with non juttery wipers that didn’t leave streaks. The rest are fine as screen items.

The Ioniq 5 is already missing buttons in many cases like heated and ventilated seats which would be very handy as physical switches like on the Telluride.

In all fairness, you guys owned the cheapest cars one could buy. I ve had a Santa Fe v6 and it went 180k without any problems. I rather buy a 20 year old used BMW with 10 owners than a new Elantra or the other car you mentioned.
Buy a Genesis. Same issues. I had a Sante Fe which saved my wife and son in a collision, but the Tuscon I had rode like a bouncing break and again the mileage was miserable. We traded it in for a used Equinox.

In all fairness, the Ioniq 5 is a good start, but when sales and service didn't know anything about it and they offered me the oil change package deal, I had enough and sold it in three weeks for more than I paid. Auto-steering is literally dangerous, especially for anyone whose body and brain have been trained to trust TESLA Autopilot. To each their own. But with my Model Y, I can't even see Hyundai in the rearview mirror. I have done a head-to-head comparison elsewhere on this forum. A former Ford senior Engineer Sandy Monroe, an early Tesla critic, just said it right when he said, "TESLA is GENERATIONS in front of everybody else" and I fully agree.

the Ioniq 5 is a good start, but when sales and service didn't know anything about it and they offered me the oil change package deal,
It might have been fun to take them up on it, and then schedule the first oil change and see what happens.

Back to the recent posts on the 3/Y display: Over the past year, I've untrained the constant looking for the nonexistent screen behind the wheel. But still not a fan of the location. With my car, I knew my speed from the gear selection and rpm feel. With the Y, I feel nothing and find it hard to tell between 65 and 80. For driving safely, that doesn't really matter- work with the traffic flow. But from a ticket perspective, more precarious.

I also don't feel I can really benefit from the side mirror views coming up when I hit the turn signal. I'm sticking to blind spot checks as muscle memory already does. On the button front, the one function I wish was on the steering wheel is answering the phone, or pushing to have it read a text to me. The current implementation on the touch screen is far from ideal, compromises the hands free concept. I might also want climate control on/off as a button or switch as well. And if those 3rd party buttons can be programmed to turn the defroster on/off, that would be something I'd go for.

It might have been fun to take them up on it, and then schedule the first oil change and see what happens.

Back to the recent posts on the 3/Y display: Over the past year, I've untrained the constant looking for the nonexistent screen behind the wheel. But still not a fan of the location. With my car, I knew my speed from the gear selection and rpm feel. With the Y, I feel nothing and find it hard to tell between 65 and 80. For driving safely, that doesn't really matter- work with the traffic flow. But from a ticket perspective, more precarious.

I also don't feel I can really benefit from the side mirror views coming up when I hit the turn signal. I'm sticking to blind spot checks as muscle memory already does. On the button front, the one function I wish was on the steering wheel is answering the phone, or pushing to have it read a text to me.

I thought the button on the right was for reading texts? I don't think I've ever had to touch the screen.

Reactions: laservet

I also don't feel I can really benefit from the side mirror views coming up when I hit the turn signal. I'm sticking to blind spot checks as muscle memory already does. On the button front, the one function I wish was on the steering wheel is answering the phone, or pushing to have it read a text to me. The current implementation on the touch screen is far from ideal, compromises the hands free concept. I might also want climate control on/off as a button or switch as well. And if those 3rd party buttons can be programmed to turn the defroster on/off, that would be something I'd go for.
Totally agree on side mirror views. They are worthless. Turn head right to make a left lane change. The engineer who designed that should be demoted to the Lego section. C'mon Tesla, fork out the five bucks for mirror indicators that tell you when someone is in your blindspot, AND let them know that you see them as well. NHTSA needs to require them on ALL vehicles. Not everything needs to be on the be on the beloved center screen.

Phone on the wheel as well, like text. Touching the screen is distracting, unless there is a voice command to answer phone... haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: voxel
Totally agree on side mirror views. They are worthless. Turn head right to make a left lane change. The engineer who designed that should be demoted to the Lego section. C'mon Tesla, fork out the five bucks for mirror indicators that tell you when someone is in your blindspot, AND let them know that you see them as well. NHTSA needs to require them on ALL vehicles. Not everything needs to be on the be on the beloved center screen.

Phone on the wheel as well, like text. Touching the screen is distracting, unless there is a voice command to answer phone... haven't tried it yet.
You are supposed to check the side mirrors first, not the screen. If you adjust your side mirrors correctly, there is no blind spots.