Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are supposed to check the side mirrors first, not the screen. If you adjust your side mirrors correctly, there is no blind spots.

Agree and the whole screen thing makes it seem the turn signal is laggy on my car :( Also, the feature is worthless at night. I still would like to have the blind spot indicators in the mirrors. Its a feature I enjoy on all my other cars.

Reactions: voxel
Back to the recent posts on the 3/Y display: Over the past year, I've untrained the constant looking for the nonexistent screen behind the wheel. But still not a fan of the location. With my car, I knew my speed from the gear selection and rpm feel. With the Y, I feel nothing and find it hard to tell between 65 and 80. For driving safely, that doesn't really matter- work with the traffic flow. But from a ticket perspective, more precarious.
It's nonsense to claim that the speed in the upper left corner of the screen isn't just as easy to see as looking down through the steering wheel. No electric car gives you RPM and gear noise - you can always go back...

Reactions: finman100
I have zero issues seeing what speed I'm going (seriously, it's in my peripheral vision) which seems to be an obsession with people that want an instrument cluster (you do have to look down to see your speed even with one). I have zero issues controlling settings in my Tesla as well, despite the dearth of buttons.
Depending on the car the speedo was typically blocked for me by the steering wheel and always at the higher speeds, officer, so it’s not my fault!

Reactions: GreenCoffee
Totally agree on side mirror views. They are worthless. Turn head right to make a left lane change. The engineer who designed that should be demoted to the Lego section. C'mon Tesla, fork out the five bucks for mirror indicators that tell you when someone is in your blindspot, AND let them know that you see them as well. NHTSA needs to require them on ALL vehicles. Not everything needs to be on the be on the beloved center screen.

You mean NHTSA should require them to have the little lights that the manuals tell you to absolutely not trust?

TBH, I'd rather trust a good camera. Although the Tesla cameras don't always meet that definition ("good"). :)

Depending on the car the speedo was typically blocked for me by the steering wheel and always at the higher speeds, officer, so it’s not my fault!

Same for me, and often it blocked the 50-65 mph section. That's really the area where I care about it the most. I prefer the side position on the 3/Y overall.

Then again, I also liked the Mini Cooper interior. I realize that design wasn't for everyone.

My next EV won't be a Tesla (well.. maybe a CT some time in the future when it eventually has production scale).

I prefer the physical controls and the driver display...; but the thing I dislike most is the ride. I know that's subjective and has been argued here in numerous threads but it's very noticeable. The other thing is we are used to bigger SUVs/minivans so the Y was a step down. I mean, it surprisingly roomy for the size but we prefer something higher and wider.

So either have to wait for the Ioniq 7 or EV 9. Biggest problem is most Hyundai/Kia dealers markup their EVs and I disdain haggling. Maybe the R1S will have better volume in a year.

I'd argue looking down is safer than looking down and right, but it doesnt bother me too much. A real HUD would be ideal though (not an instrument cluster).

Also, with sound, you can gauge your speed based on road/wind noise, the car isnt an anechoic chamber... there are still sounds from outside that let you to a lesser degree how fast you're going.

I can still see more of the road when I look at the speed display on the screen than if I am looking down where a display would be behind the steering wheel, probably because I am not looking down as far. If the display were a bit larger I could see it with peripheral vision and would not need to take my eyes off the road at all to check it.

but the thing I dislike most is the ride. I know that's subjective and has been argued here in numerous threads but it's very noticeable

Yeah.. the 23 Ys have a slightly better suspension but it is the current weakness of the 3s and Ys... the NVH is Toyota-level.

After a month with the Ioniq 5... my original assertion that the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 are basically interchangeable stands. They all have flaws and strengths but nothing stands out. My (former) BMW i4 does everything better than the all the above except maybe cargo space. Better suspension, quieter, better interior, better handling.

Ioniq 5 pros:
Quiet (Model Y and Mach-E are not well isolated)
Softer suspension (Mach-E is bouncy as fudge and the Y is microbump firm)
360 camera, rear cross traffic alerts, blind spots.

Cons:
The top trim Limited has a subpar audio system (Mach-E is better, Y is even better, BMW i4 a notch above those)
One pedal is janky and not smooth. Mach-E has unsmooth 1PD coming out of a stop and Tesla's acceleration curve is not entirely linear but it is the best of the three.
Range is the worst of the three and efficiency is as poor as the Mach-E. Mach-E has the same range as the Y because of the 99 kWh battery.

Yeah.. the 23 Ys have a slightly better suspension but it is the current weakness of the 3s and Ys... the NVH is Toyota-level.

After a month with the Ioniq 5... my original assertion that the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 are basically interchangeable stands. They all have flaws and strengths but nothing stands out. My (former) BMW i4 does everything better than the all the above except maybe cargo space. Better suspension, quieter, better interior, better handling.

Ioniq 5 pros:
Quiet (Model Y and Mach-E are not well isolated)
Softer suspension (Mach-E is bouncy as fudge and the Y is microbump firm)
360 camera, rear cross traffic alerts, blind spots.

Cons:
The top trim Limited has a subpar audio system (Mach-E is better, Y is even better, BMW i4 a notch above those)
One pedal is janky and not smooth. Mach-E has unsmooth 1PD coming out of a stop and Tesla's acceleration curve is not entirely linear but it is the best of the three.
Range is the worst of the three and efficiency is as poor as the Mach-E. Mach-E has the same range as the Y because of the 99 kWh battery.
Spot on. One thing I disagree with though is the ride quality in the Y. The 3 is simply better than the Y for ride quality and transmits less noise from the rear.

If I had to choose between all 3, I’d get the Y for me. My wife prefers the EV6 but if I were stuck with the EV6, no complaints really. I’m learning I don’t like crossovers though. Feels too heavy. I much prefer the 3 driving dynamics.

Reactions: gt2690b
Spot on. One thing I disagree with though is the ride quality in the Y. The 3 is simply better than the Y for ride quality and transmits less noise from the rear.

If I had to choose between all 3, I’d get the Y for me. My wife prefers the EV6 but if I were stuck with the EV6, no complaints really. I’m learning I don’t like crossovers though. Feels too heavy. I much prefer the 3 driving dynamics.

Yeah I completely understand the sentiment against crossovers.

I'm missing my i4 because it handled so well. The Ioniq 5 is an EV appliance.

I test drove a M3P recently and loved it. I'm still on the fence about a EV6 GT or M3P. I'm not keeping the Ioniq 5 long-term and when it is swapped out it will be for a trackable car.

I test drove a M3P recently and loved it. I'm still on the fence about a EV6 GT or M3P. I'm not keeping the Ioniq 5 long-term and when it is swapped out it will be for a trackable car.
Do you have DCFC available by the tracks in your area? I think range is perhaps an underrated issue for tracking EVs. I don't know the real world range difference between the EV6 GT and the M3P, but on paper driving the EV6 GT on track would make for a real short day unless there's a DCFC nearby.

I hear the EV6 GT is a fine car. I feel the heft of my EV6 though and my M3P just seems way more tossable. For an EV, the Model 3 is actually a pretty slim car 😁

Reactions: chinney
So I finally drove my friend HI5... he has one of the lower option trims (no 360cam, cloth seats)

I'm only going to mention things I liked better on it than the Tesla. I still think the Tesla is a better package, but could use a few features.

1) Doppler Weather Map (my freaking 2017 Prius also has this).

2) it's small, but a customizable switch is nice.

3) vehicle to load... nuff said

4) rear seats recline further, I'm sure that's a plus for rear passengers on long trips

5) nice paint. Much better quality than Tesla and the color my friend got changes slightly depending on the angle.

6) ability to change throttle mapping with a steering wheel button (eco/ normal/sport). I leave my Y on Sport because when I want the power, i want it... I wish i could switch between chill and sport with a button press (I know there are 3rd party options for that, I'm talking stock)

The list where the Tesla is better is much longer, so I'm not going to bother.