Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's how they pretend their prices are low - "starting at" - by hiding features in higher and higher priced trims.

Depends on the OEM. Not everyone needs all of the features so having different trims is a nice approach. In the EV6, you get the 360 camera on the mid-trim with the tech package. Total cost would be about $52k. The limited version at $58k comes additionally with sunroof, HUD, and bigger wheels.

So I finally drove my friend HI5... he has one of the lower option trims (no 360cam, cloth seats)

I'm only going to mention things I liked better on it than the Tesla. I still think the Tesla is a better package, but could use a few features.

1) Doppler Weather Map (my freaking 2017 Prius also has this).

2) it's small, but a customizable switch is nice.

3) vehicle to load... nuff said

4) rear seats recline further, I'm sure that's a plus for rear passengers on long trips

5) nice paint. Much better quality than Tesla and the color my friend got changes slightly depending on the angle.

6) ability to change throttle mapping with a steering wheel button (eco/ normal/sport). I leave my Y on Sport because when I want the power, i want it... I wish i could switch between chill and sport with a button press (I know there are 3rd party options for that, I'm talking stock)

The list where the Tesla is better is much longer, so I'm not going to bother.

After a month of ownership

Two major pros are the suspension and quietness of the cabin compared to the Y and Mach-E. The latter two have noisy unsealed cabins and questionable suspensions.

Two negatives is the 1PD regen is unrefined so I’m driving without 1PD and efficiency/range is pretty meh. I achieve 230 miles of highway ish range with my Limited but easily 270+ with my former Y and Mach-E. I drive 70-80% highway at 65-70mph.

360 camera is a major bonus to me as I park in urban areas but the flipside is Ioniq 5 premium audio system is underwhelming. You win in one area and lose in another.

Two major pros are the suspension and quietness of the cabin compared to the Y and Mach-E. The latter two have noisy unsealed cabins and questionable suspensions.

[...]
One of those two 'pros' is not an unqualified pro, but a matter of taste. A lot of people (though maybe fewer in North America than Europe) really like a firm suspension. I am one of them. I really do appreciate the firm ride on my Model 3 LR. Some say that the Model Y is even firmer and excessively so, to the point of harshness. Mind you, I did not notice that myself when I tried out my in-laws' Model Y.

Reactions: Stan930
2) it's small, but a customizable switch is nice.

6) ability to change throttle mapping with a steering wheel button (eco/ normal/sport). I leave my Y on Sport because when I want the power, i want it... I wish i could switch between chill and sport with a button press (I know there are 3rd party options for that, I'm talking stock)

Replying to my own post... weird, I know, but I cant edit it any more....

So no sooner did I suggest this, that Tesla is including it in the next update (2023.12)

Scroll Wheel Customization​

Tesla Scroll Wheel Customization feature in update 2023.12

Available Worldwide
Models: S? 3 X? Y
Do more with the left scroll button on the steering wheel. You can adjust settings like brightness and Acceleration Mode, or perform actions like toggling the Camera App, opening the glovebox, and saving Dashcam footage.
Long press the left scroll button to bring up a list of functions and scroll through the list. To choose which function comes up by default, go to Controls > Display > Scroll Wheel Function.

Two negatives is the 1PD regen is unrefined so I’m driving without 1PD and efficiency/range is pretty meh. I achieve 230 miles of highway ish range with my Limited but easily 270+ with my former Y and Mach-E. I drive 70-80% highway at 65-70mph.

360 camera is a major bonus to me as I park in urban areas but the flipside is Ioniq 5 premium audio system is underwhelming. You win in one area and lose in another.
Oh yea, 360 cameras are great! I'm not sure why Tesla whiffs on those and rear cross traffic alert. I'm honestly not sure which trim my friend got, but I know it wasnt top of the line and his car was very reasonably priced. A better comparison would be the top of the line HI5 (oh, HI5 is a better moniker than MY, too).

Honestly I thought it was a good car, my 30min inside it (20 of which was playing with menus) left me with a very positive impression. If it was out when I was looking in early 2021, I might have gotten one. The MY is more than I needed, but there just werent many alternatives at the time.

So no sooner did I suggest this, that Tesla is including it in the next update (2023.12)

Available Worldwide
Do more with the left scroll button on the steering wheel. You can adjust settings like brightness and Acceleration Mode, or perform actions like toggling the Camera App, opening the glovebox, and saving Dashcam footage.
Long press the left scroll button to bring up a list of functions and scroll through the list. To choose which function comes up by default, go to Controls > Display > Scroll Wheel Function.
Wait so this will be coming in the next SW update?

Depends on the OEM. Not everyone needs all of the features so having different trims is a nice approach. In the EV6, you get the 360 camera on the mid-trim with the tech package. Total cost would be about $52k. The limited version at $58k comes additionally with sunroof, HUD, and bigger wheels.
The point is that Tesla's are full featured. When comparing price, it should be to the full featured model, Differences in the list in total are usually not important in judging price (exception being the full self-driving computer in all Tesla's, just in case you want to buy in or subscribe later).

Available Worldwide
This is great, I thought that it was cool that on the Model X you can use the right scroll wheel to do multiple things. Nice to have it on the Y and 3.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
So I did the unthinkable (at least in this forum), I turned in my 2021 Standard RWD Y (early lease termination) and leased a mid trim Ioniq 5 (RWD SEL Extended range).

Just like most cars, it all comes down to personal preference and while the Y does most things well, there are certain things I prefer in other cars which the Ioniq has.

I do like the free and fast charging in the Ioniq such that I don’t need to charge at home (which saves me some money) and even tested an EA charger for the experience (not plug and play like Tesla, but plug, tap, push a button and play). Very fast and I didn’t have to back into the charging spot but I do hope they build out more infrastructure.

Ride quality is better (subjective), interior space is better and I am glad to have my driver display back. One con I noticed is the center display is a bit far to reach. I have long arms but I think for many people it would not be very safe. They aligned it with the driver display (probably for cost/ease) but it should be closer in my opinion.

I do miss the glass roof even though I had the mesh shade cover on my Y (the Limited trim has one with a power sliding cover) but I welcome back the subway handles. My truck didn't have those either so it's nice to be able to grab something other than opening the window to grab the roof. :)

It's only a 2-year lease so maybe I'll be back in the Tesla fam if the Cybertruck is out.

So I did the unthinkable (at least in this forum), I turned in my 2021 Standard RWD Y (early lease termination) and leased a mid trim Ioniq 5 (RWD SEL Extended range).

Just like most cars, it all comes down to personal preference and while the Y does most things well, there are certain things I prefer in other cars which the Ioniq has.

I do like the free and fast charging in the Ioniq such that I don’t need to charge at home (which saves me some money) and even tested an EA charger for the experience (not plug and play like Tesla, but plug, tap, push a button and play). Very fast and I didn’t have to back into the charging spot but I do hope they build out more infrastructure.

Ride quality is better (subjective), interior space is better and I am glad to have my driver display back. One con I noticed is the center display is a bit far to reach. I have long arms but I think for many people it would not be very safe. They aligned it with the driver display (probably for cost/ease) but it should be closer in my opinion.

I do miss the glass roof even though I had the mesh shade cover on my Y (the Limited trim has one with a power sliding cover) but I welcome back the subway handles. My truck didn't have those either so it's nice to be able to grab something other than opening the window to grab the roof. :)

It's only a 2-year lease so maybe I'll be back in the Tesla fam if the Cybertruck is out.
nice review.. curious about the interior space being "better"... ioniq has less head room and less cargo space (similar shoulder and hip room).. what makes that better?

Reactions: Jane4
nice review.. curious about the interior space being "better"... ioniq has less head room and less cargo space (similar shoulder and hip room).. what makes that better?

The two big major positives with the Ioniq 5 is the ride quality and quiet cabin.

Head room and cargo space they are similar to the Y. I’ve owned 3 different Ys since 2021. Honestly, I tell folks the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 (all in upper trim form) are basically the same. Some have fast charging, some have better audio systems, some have better ride quality but none are perfect. You want better… move up to a BMW iX or Model X.

The two big major positives with the Ioniq 5 is the ride quality and quiet cabin.

Head room and cargo space they are similar to the Y. I’ve owned 3 different Ys since 2021. Honestly, I tell folks the Y, Mach-E, Ioniq 5 (all in upper trim form) are basically the same. Some have fast charging, some have better audio systems, some have better ride quality but none are perfect. You want better… move up to a BMW iX or Model X.

i needed more than 5 seats so of those options only the X or Y would suffice... the mach-e at least feels smaller cargo wise.. i've not driven an ioniq hence my curiosity.. i can also use my roof rack on a Y

i really needed a rivian but couldnt wait 2 years plus quite a bit more $$$ for significantly lower efficiency

This is a great question and something I've been picky about for a while with EVs.

It's actually passenger space... cargo space, the Y wins no-contest... bigger rear cargo, massive under rear cargo and much bigger frunk (which is nice and sealed unlike the Ioniq where everything is open (they need to take a design cue from Tesla and Ford who make great frunks). The wheelbase of the Ioniq is longer than the Y so it helps with the passenger space.

Front:

Seats are similar but the Y is more of a laid back type seat (like a car) whereas the Ioniq is more upright seating. The Ioniq also does not have a center console that extends to the dashboard, it's open so people with purses (ahem... my wife) can put stuff on the floor between the seats that they can't do in the Y that would otherwise take up back seat space or their front seat foot space. The Mach-E is also a bit more open between the seats which makes it feel roomer.

Shoulder room and hip room feels wider and this may be due to that center console... additionally, the interior door panels (where the armrests are) are configured differently so that also makes it seem like shoulder space is better. Headroom is sufficient. and I'm 6ft tall and with the seats being more upright in the Ioniq and it's not an issue. Maybe the Limited with the panoroof has less?

Rear:

I "fit" more easily in the back row than in the Y (and that's with the front seat set for me). I noticed this when I would sit in the Ioniq at auto shows last year (because dealers rarely had models in stock to check out and I was not really serious about the Ioniq to deal with a salesperson). Due to the increased inventory... I went to a dealership last week, sat in both rows and on the passenger side and also test drove it (I had only sat in a Limited trim previously which has that sliding center console which makes more front space so I wanted to check out an SEL trim). My kids are also tall so I had them sit in the back too to test it out and they said it's similar to the Y... but the seats recline a little bit more (from my eyes it doesn't look like a bunch more but even reviews say there is quite a bit of recline but that might be in the Limited?). Rear seats also slide front and back which could be useful for people with young kids who want to move them closer.

i needed more than 5 seats so of those options only the X or Y would suffice... the mach-e at least feels smaller cargo wise.. i've not driven an ioniq hence my curiosity.. i can also use my roof rack on a Y

i really needed a rivian but couldnt wait 2 years plus quite a bit more $$$ for significantly lower efficiency

I don't need more than 5 seats but I would like to have it just in case and just for overall space. I also want an R1S (tip: If you already have a reservation, you can get access to the R1 shop where you may be able to pick up an R1S sooner than 2 years... although still a lot of money).

But the build, fit and features of the Ioniq 5 make me hopeful that the EV9/Ioniq 7 are going to be great alternatives.

Ride:

I drove it for a while (dealer was an hour a way) so it was softer than the Y. I have some routes where the bumps were more noticeable so once I take those in the Ioniq I can report back with a better comparison.

Once I drain this down to 10%, I'll report back on what the actual DCFC charging time was to 80%.

One thing that was interesting is when I turn on the AC, it adjusts the miles remaining down to account for the AC usage (which happened to be a con because there is no dedicated button to turn off the AC... just touch buttons for every other function... also no dedicated buttons for heat seaters... so you have to go into the Climate page on the touchscreen to toggle AC and seat heaters (which drove me crazy in v11). Also, I haven't found a way to put shortcuts on the center screen but I can program one button on the steering wheel to a limited set of functions (but not AC :( ).

I only got it yesterday so still playing around with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
This is a great question and something I've been picky about for a while with EVs.

It's actually passenger space... cargo space, the Y wins no-contest... bigger rear cargo, massive under rear cargo and much bigger frunk (which is nice and sealed unlike the Ioniq where everything is open (they need to take a design cue from Tesla and Ford who make great frunks). The wheelbase of the Ioniq is longer than the Y so it helps with the passenger space.

Front:

Seats are similar but the Y is more of a laid back type seat (like a car) whereas the Ioniq is more upright seating. The Ioniq also does not have a center console that extends to the dashboard, it's open so people with purses (ahem... my wife) can put stuff on the floor between the seats that they can't do in the Y that would otherwise take up back seat space or their front seat foot space. The Mach-E is also a bit more open between the seats which makes it feel roomer.

Shoulder room and hip room feels wider and this may be due to that center console... additionally, the interior door panels (where the armrests are) are configured differently so that also makes it seem like shoulder space is better. Headroom is sufficient. and I'm 6ft tall and with the seats being more upright in the Ioniq and it's not an issue. Maybe the Limited with the panoroof has less?

Rear:

I "fit" more easily in the back row than in the Y (and that's with the front seat set for me). I noticed this when I would sit in the Ioniq at auto shows last year (because dealers rarely had models in stock to check out and I was not really serious about the Ioniq to deal with a salesperson). Due to the increased inventory... I went to a dealership last week, sat in both rows and on the passenger side and also test drove it (I had only sat in a Limited trim previously which has that sliding center console which makes more front space so I wanted to check out an SEL trim). My kids are also tall so I had them sit in the back too to test it out and they said it's similar to the Y... but the seats recline a little bit more (from my eyes it doesn't look like a bunch more but even reviews say there is quite a bit of recline but that might be in the Limited?). Rear seats also slide front and back which could be useful for people with young kids who want to move them closer.

I don't need more than 5 seats but I would like to have it just in case and just for overall space. I also want an R1S (tip: If you already have a reservation, you can get access to the R1 shop where you may be able to pick up an R1S sooner than 2 years... although still a lot of money).

But the build, fit and features of the Ioniq 5 make me hopeful that the EV9/Ioniq 7 are going to be great alternatives.

Ride:

I drove it for a while (dealer was an hour a way) so it was softer than the Y. I have some routes where the bumps were more noticeable so once I take those in the Ioniq I can report back with a better comparison.

Once I drain this down to 10%, I'll report back on what the actual DCFC charging time was to 80%.

One thing that was interesting is when I turn on the AC, it adjusts the miles remaining down to account for the AC usage (which happened to be a con because there is no dedicated button to turn off the AC... just touch buttons for every other function... also no dedicated buttons for heat seaters... so you have to go into the Climate page on the touchscreen to toggle AC and seat heaters (which drove me crazy in v11). Also, I haven't found a way to put shortcuts on the center screen but I can program one button on the steering wheel to a limited set of functions (but not AC :( ).

I only got it yesterday so still playing around with it.
thanks for the details.. for sure the EV9 is intriguing ... FYI the 7 seater Y also has sliding 2nd row seats and thus more legroom for 2nd row than ioniq (at least on paper)

The Ioniq 5 has more space than the Model Y? I have not spent a ton of time in the Y, but was driving the I5 and i6, REALLY like the look and feel of the i6...

How does I5's nav compare?

Also, how does I5's drive assist features compare?
Atrocious drive assist. I sold it in one month after almost taking out garbage cans on the side of the road. Not reliable or dependable. Unfortunately, or fortunately, my brain-body memory is so accustomed to auto-pilot, that I let my guard down. Might be ok for a novel beginner, but a risk for anyone who has driven a Tesla. The vehicle is an admirable first attempt with some features that Tesla doesn't have. But the drive assist ruined it. Had to let it go. Might be fine for someone who has never tasted auto-pilot.

Reactions: Jane4
Really???
729c180381153fd4c326d80827fb8709.jpg

While the Ioniq 5 has a very futuristic shape, cars with too much angular edges,
have their style becoming quiclky an eyesore.
Cars like Volvo 144 for example didn't past the time.

I like better the Tesla choice of making cars with smooth shape.
For example the Model S even after many years still looks outstanding and not out dated.

Last edited: