Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ioniq 5 vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven’t driven the Hyundai but what kind of review compares a brand new car to used one? And they report range test numbers without even mentioning one of them is over an year old that had to participate in a ton of click-baity videos. What has happened to Edmunds?
Bang on.
Tesla still is the best car for sure. This is a good car though.

However; without a charging network, I wouldn’t take another brand even if it was better.
No other brand would ever work for my driving needs. The supercharger network is that crucial. Clearly only Elon gets that.
Also, I am so glad Elon has disrupted such a ridiculous industry. Hopefully he forces positive change. He’s on track.

Reactions: leaftoy and zpaul
Bang on.
Tesla still is the best car for sure. This is a good car though.

However; without a charging network, I wouldn’t take another brand even if it was better.
No other brand would ever work for my driving needs. The supercharger network is that crucial. Clearly only Elon gets that.
Also, I am so glad Elon has disrupted such a ridiculous industry. Hopefully he forces positive change. He’s on track.
I agree. I was going to get an Audi, but without charging network and lousy range, no thanks.
The exterior of the Ioniq is really nice, but I don’t like the interior.
It looks like a nice EV, but nothing comes close to a computer-on-wheel Tesla.

Ioniq 5 back seat looks uncomfortably small with tight leg room and lower head room, seems more comparable with M3. Edmunds review just brushes this off like no big deal but he looks super uncomfortable sitting in the back. Can someone who has ridden in both comment on this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
Buyer Beware? Sign up and get one, guys, if you like death by a thousand cuts. We complain about Tesla service. Geez. Don't even go there with Hyundai.
You obviously had some bad luck which is not the norm. Look up anywhere on the web and Hyundai is rated among the best there is. Here is just on example from a familiar name known by all. https://www.jdpower.com/cars/hyundai

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Haven’t driven the Hyundai but what kind of review compares a brand new car to used one? And they report range test numbers without even mentioning one of them is over an year old that had to participate in a ton of click-baity videos. What has happened to Edmunds?
I don’t think Tesla gives out many press cars, if any. It’s not uncommon to see a BEV comparison where the only Tesla they can source at the time is owned by the reviewing organization for a long-term test or by one of their own staff.

Reactions: leaftoy
You obviously had some bad luck which is not the norm. Look up anywhere on the web and Hyundai is rated among the best there is. Here is just on example from a familiar name known by all. https://www.jdpower.com/cars/hyundai
It's so comforting to know I have company.

The U.S. safety agency opened its probe in 2017 after Hyundai recalled about 470,000 vehicles in September of 2015 because debris from manufacturing could restrict oil flow to connecting rod bearings. That could make the bearings wear out and fail, potentially causing the four-cylinder engines to stall or catch fire.Nov 9, 2021

Serious manufacturing issues caused Hyundai and sister company Kia to recall over 2.4 million vehicles between '15-'19. Engine failures and potential fires were the biggest problems addressed, apparently caused by faulty engine control software.

Unfortunately, Hyundai's new vehicles have some engine issues to be aware of. The Hyundai Sonata is the most affected vehicle according to Hyundai Problems. Many consumers complain of engine seizing, stalling, noises, ticking, or cutting out.Dec 6, 2021

Last edited:
I don’t think Tesla gives out many press cars, if any. It’s not uncommon to see a BEV comparison where the only Tesla they can source at the time is owned by the reviewing organization for a long-term test or by one of their own staff.
Fair enough but the Y this particular reviewer is using is quite old. I am sure they could source a recent one with better fit and finish, current interior if they really wanted. Instead they keep harping on squeaks and rattles on their particular unit, and compare Tesla’s claimed ranged to what they are getting without mentioning they have heavily used the vehicle in question.

According to Hyundai's website, it doesn't look like it's available yet in the US (and when it is, it will be in limited quantities), but I'd be interested in driving one. I have a feeling that once we have our MYLR, we may be wanting a second EV and the value of an IONIQ5 with a $7,500 tax credit might be too good to pass up.

"Extremely limited availability. 2022 IONIQ 5 will be available in early 2022 in AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, PA, RI, TX, VT, VA, and WA. Additional state availability coming in mid-2022. See your Hyundai dealer for availability details."

My local dealer has a few in stock

Fair enough but the Y this particular reviewer is using is quite old. I am sure they could source a recent one with better fit and finish, current interior if they really wanted. Instead they keep harping on squeaks and rattles on their particular unit, and compare Tesla’s claimed ranged to what they are getting without mentioning they have heavily used the vehicle in question.
Aside from some ancillary things like a new center console, headlights, etc. there is basically no difference from their 2020 to one you’d be getting today. They clearly stated their car had horrible build quality brand new with no mileage on it and you can look at any of the hundreds of threads on here to see that fit and finish is still an ongoing problem for Tesla. Pointing that out is perfectly reasonable. It’s a fact that the fit and finish on Tesla’s is not up to industry standards.

They’ve also done significant testing on mileage ratings via separate tests on a closed track. They used brand new Tesla’s for that and in all situations the Tesla’s did not get their rated range and missed by a larger percentage than other brands. Again, browsing the forum will show this isn’t an anomaly. Tesla is aggressive with the way it calculates their ratings while others are more conservative.

Even Sandy Munro, who I’m not a fan of, but people on here tend to like just did a video on the Ioniq and was extremely impressed with the quality of it.

Aside from some ancillary things like a new center console, headlights, etc. there is basically no difference from their 2020 to one you’d be getting today. They clearly stated their car had horrible build quality brand new with no mileage on it and you can look at any of the hundreds of threads on here to see that fit and finish is still an ongoing problem for Tesla. Pointing that out is perfectly reasonable. It’s a fact that the fit and finish on Tesla’s is not up to industry standards.

They’ve also done significant testing on mileage ratings via separate tests on a closed track. They used brand new Tesla’s for that and in all situations the Tesla’s did not get their rated range and missed by a larger percentage than other brands. Again, browsing the forum will show this isn’t an anomaly. Tesla is aggressive with the way it calculates their ratings while others are more conservative.

Even Sandy Munro, who I’m not a fan of, but people on here tend to like just did a video on the Ioniq and was extremely impressed with the quality of it.
The fit / finish and aesthetics left a good impression. Let's see him tear one apart and get into how its engineered and constructed.

Also worth noting, Sandy and his company offer services to help manufacturers streamline production, simplify parts, and reduce costs. He rails on "over engineered" and superfluous stuff quite frequently, which are not necessarily indicative of quality problems.

this is a stupid comparison.. its a smaller car.. 59 cubic feet vs. the model y almost 80 cu ft cargo space...

the chevy bolt is a better comparison to the ioniq with 57 cu ft of storage and a similar ground clearance.. im sure its a great car but its not the same class as model y IMO

also what is with the real world range thing? doesnt the EPA test them all the same?

this is a stupid comparison.. its a smaller car.. 59 cubic feet vs. the model y almost 80 cu ft cargo space...

the chevy bolt is a better comparison to the ioniq with 57 cu ft of storage and a similar ground clearance.. im sure its a great car but its not the same class as model y IMO

also what is with the real world range thing? doesnt the EPA test them all the same?
I can easily see people cross-shopping the Y and the Ioniq, just like they do with the ID.4 vs Y and Mach E vs Y, despite your opinion of "stupid comparison". You are right the Tesla has more cargo room. In fact it has a lot more cargo room than any of the other 3.

In terms of EPA ratings, it's been beat to death here and elsewhere, in multiple tests, that Tesla across their model range does not match its EPA range estimates.

Unfortunately, Hyundai's new vehicles have some engine issues to be aware of. The Hyundai Sonata is the most affected vehicle according to Hyundai Problems. Many consumers complain of engine seizing, stalling, noises, ticking, or cutting out.Dec 6, 2021

It can happen to any manufacturer. Toyota had a large problem with engine issues in a number of their cars too. Personally, I think Hyundai/Kia make excellent vehicles and I'd have no problem owning one these days if it was a vehicle that I was looking for.

I can easily see people cross-shopping the Y and the Ioniq, just like they do with the ID.4 vs Y and Mach E vs Y, despite your opinion of "stupid comparison". You are right the Tesla has more cargo room. In fact it has a lot more cargo room than any of the other 3.

In terms of EPA ratings, it's been beat to death here and elsewhere, in multiple tests, that Tesla across their model range does not match its EPA range estimates.
uhh.. the model 3 was basically the best of the bunch (highest mi / kw) in your second article except for the mach-e which had quite a larger battery...