Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone impressed with the overly-hyped "holiday update"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thing about this update was that there were no release notes displayed to me this morning. I then went to press the 'T' symbol on the MCU to read the release notes only to realize they removed it :)

Did eventually go to settings -> software and got the release notes there.

Really unimpressed by the car animation graphics being so low res. Yeah it's cool that the windows go up and down when you move them, but I'd rather my car not look like it's running Windows Vista graphics?

Had a hard time today telling if autopilot/FSD was on or not bc the steering wheel icon is so small. Everything is a bit more wonky, but I can live with it IF there's a nice FSD update coming out soon.

I keep reading that this change is in preparation for FSD. My prerefresh 2016 90D does not and can not have FSD. I did upgrade to MCU2 to get a functional center screen. I have a single MobilEye camera in front and a standard rear view camera that can only display a picture on the center screen. There is a rule that I learned the hard way a long time ago. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I learned years ago in the software business, if you can't deliver the requested/specified functionality, don't deliver the fluff or you lose all credibility. I have enormous respect for Elon, but sometimes, the 4-year-old in him takes charge. We were promised to be blown away by improvements getting us closer to FSD. Instead, we got enhanced farting and a Solitaire game from 1990.

The microscopic fonts on the IC are a huge step backwards in terms of usability and safety.
Just another distraction from the fact that nothing of value was delivered, something for people to concentrate on and argue passionately over on forums whether it's useful or not, so that nobody noticed that FSD sold in 2016 along with Tesla Ride Sharing Network promised at the same time to come in 2017, is still not here at the beginning of 2021. Elon is an excellent smoke and mirrors guy.

I learned years ago in the software business, if you can't deliver the requested/specified functionality, don't deliver the fluff or you lose all credibility. I have enormous respect for Elon, but sometimes, the 4-year-old in him takes charge. We were promised to be blown away by improvements getting us closer to FSD. Instead, we got enhanced farting and a Solitaire game from 1990.
I see you are new. That is almost all Elon has been doing since about 2015. Let's see, just my cars:
  1. May 2015 P85D, we were told by Elon it is a 700hp car (691hp on the Design Studio order page). Lots of excuses for months, including how EV hp is somehow different than ICE hp (I guess neither metric or British system, perhaps it's an Elon system ), then eventually after a lawsuit 2 years later, Tesla posts an excuse - car only produced 463hp (would require 50% more power to reach the spec!), but the motor is capable of full spec if it was inserted in some other car with a better battery and power delivery system (non-existent at the time), so Tesla feels they delivered and owe customers who paid for the 691hp absolutely nothing.
  2. May 2015 Elon sells AP1 with summon which "will find you anywhere on private property" - actually delivered 5 years later, a car will drive up to 40 feet forward or backwards while you hold a dead-man's switch
  3. Dec 2016 - car with automatic headlights, automatic wipers by end of 2016 - took 9 months to get them working, in 2020 they still don't work as well as the 2015 car.
  4. Jan 2017 - FSD, will be able to summon from New York to Los Angeles - 3 years later you can summon the car from a parking lot while watching it like a hawk to make sure it doesn't hit anything, because the liability is on you
  5. "Your car is always getting better with every update" - biggest lie every told. Besides things like Tesla disabling by Smart Suspension for almost a year 2013-2014, enabling "mirror auto-unfold" which broke off my wife's car mirror ($600, not covered by Tesla, apparently she was supposed to go online and read the fine print of the release notes, because they didn't show up on the screen of the car as the browser was FUBR'ed for months), v9 and its slow performance an horrible user experience (small fonts, having to look way at the bottom of the screen away from the road to do anything while the screen takes a long time to respond), or a "defrost windshield" button which turned into a "frost" button in one of the over-the-air updates during my cross country trip.
But we all got fart mode, so according to Elon we are even. :rolleyes:

Tesla OTA has allowed Tesla to sell vaporware, sell unfinished product, never deliver or significantly underdeliver features, service centers to have a go-to excuse "it w8ill be fixed in the next OTA update" which they have used even on things such as physically yellowing screens on 6 month old Model S/X., and for Elon to always have an excuse "you haven't tested the latest version". Any time someone spends the time to test Tesla performance, like emergency automatic braking, Elon just shrugs at it saying "there has been a new update since". Even if you were to somehow obtain the latest update and show how crappy Tesla performs, Elon will shrug it off saying "new update is coming soon". No matter what criticism you have of Elon's products, his answer is that they are ever improving products and a fix is coming "soon". Welcome to Tesla. I bought 4 Model S's since 2013 (last one in 2018), but I don't foresee buying another Tesla one any time soon or ever, until Tesla gets its act together - can't wait for the other car makers to start putting out EV's.

FSD sold in 2016 along with Tesla Ride Sharing Network promised at the same time to come in 2017,

Amazes me even more that some will take you to task over such an observation.

They are not there yet, but MobileEye seem to be making solid progress and if they haven't already overtaken Tesla in some regards, they certainly have a good show.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
all Elon has been doing since about 2015

While Tesla has done so much to disrupt the established ICE motor industry, there comes a point where you have to look at claims being made vs results being delivered.

The Tesla message was all about sustainability and saving the planet. We have a '95 Toyota Rav4 (ICE)(from that just goes from strength to strength. It does what it said it would do, and still does it just fine.

I can't say the same for my MS though, and while today I am OK keeping it, I really don't see it being viable 10 years from now. Battery replacement program? Battery core charge? Cost effective / trustworthy repairs? Supported 3rd party alternatives?

• Love
Reactions: AMPd and aerodyne
Disagree.

The microscopic fonts on the IC are a huge step backwards in terms of usability and safety.

This angers the hell out of me. My car does not yet have the update, but I have seen many posts with people complaining about this. The text in the UI was already too small and (in some places) in too light a color. (They have been for some years, since version 7, in my view.)

I seriously wonder if the UI designers have ever heard of human factors engineering, or ever have an independent HFE review as they should. Grrr.

This angers the hell out of me. My car does not yet have the update, but I have seen many posts with people complaining about this. The text in the UI was already too small and (in some places) in too light a color. (They have been for some years, since version 7, in my view.)

I seriously wonder if the UI designers have ever heard of human factors engineering, or ever have an independent HFE review as they should. Grrr.

Along with “fart” mode, they need “old fart mode” which sets fonts to a much larger size.