Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is buying a Model S still worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know electricity is expensive in California, especially at peak rates. You still might find it costs you a bit less than $80 a month for an electric. I'm fortunate to live where electricity is only $0.08/KWh.
In Texas, electricity has been deregulated so customers shop for a provider with the best rates. 4 months after getting my Tesla, I switched to a "free nights" (9 hours) provider and my bill has gone down $12-16 month for charging my car alone.

how nice is the auto pilot?
I'll interpret that as "how much will I love auto pilot?". The answer depends on what sort of driving you do.
If you have a routine high-traffic commute on reasonably big roads you'll love it. If you do long drives on
highway-or-better roads you'll love it. If you're an early-adopter and are willing to appreciate the dog-walking-
on-two-legs aspect of it, you can even love it driving on smaller roads (where the performance is less than
perfect but, IMO, really kind of amazing). I'll echo a sentiment I've heard expressed several times on these
forums: last week my wife and I drove an hour to dinner for our anniversary; the drive was 90+% interstate;
I used auto-pilot on all except for a couple of construction zones (where I deferred to my wife's lack of faith
in Elon ;)); when we arrived, I felt relaxed and un-stressed.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Get a used Model S, I bought this one off eBay (one owner) near mint for $ 55,600 a year ago. It's an 85 with all the options. I felt like I got a killer deal with 36,000 miles and a D battery with only 14,000 miles on the pack. Good deals can be made if you shop.

Reactions: JPUConn
A friend of mine got a CPO Signature Red Model S.

New 21" tires.
New warranty (another 4 years and 50,000 miles from mileage that was on the car)
Upgraded "D" pack with 271 rated miles (it is a Signature, so I am sure it originally came with an "A" pack
New motor and drive

Basically a "new" car.
No, it was not available for the $7,500 federal tax rebate
No, it did not have sensors and retractable mirrors

But still a heck of a deal....

If OP was patient, wanted to do a bit of research, and could hunt and telephone a bit, he might find a similar deal

Another thing that comes to mind is if I buy the S, I will get early delivery for the 3.. then I can either flip the 3 or sell the S. I would assume I could easily make $10k or $15k flipping the 3.

I personally don't see this happening. That's quite a premium and I would think if that much, one would go for the model s now to make sure they get the federal tax credit plus whatever state credit one gets.

With the leaked schematic it does appear that at least some of the AP 2 hardware is being installed in cars today. It may just be the wiring harnesses, but that would make it easier to upgrade 2016 Teslas to AP 2 when it becomes available and they may be thinking about offering that for the 2016s delivered with AP 1 sensors at some point.

I think deep down, this is what's really keeping me from seriously pursuing a cpo/used model s. If Tesla does allow for an AP hardware upgrade, I think they'd only go as far back as the current refresh model. And as I read more and more of autopilot, it seems to be the absolute must have feature to get, especially if AP 2 gets announced with the m3.

A friend of mine got a CPO Signature Red Model S.

New 21" tires.
New warranty (another 4 years and 50,000 miles from mileage that was on the car)
Upgraded "D" pack with 271 rated miles (it is a Signature, so I am sure it originally came with an "A" pack
New motor and drive

Basically a "new" car.
No, it was not available for the $7,500 federal tax rebate
No, it did not have sensors and retractable mirrors

But still a heck of a deal....

If OP was patient, wanted to do a bit of research, and could hunt and telephone a bit, he might find a similar deal
Keeping an eye on it. Honestly not seeing anything great so far, maybe except a used 2013 85 with 47,000 miles on it for $58k (in LA). Still lots of money for a used car damn :(

Get a used Model S, I bought this one off eBay (one owner) near mint for $ 55,600 a year ago. It's an 85 with all the options. I felt like I got a killer deal with 36,000 miles and a D battery with only 14,000 miles on the pack. Good deals can be made if you shop.
I assume that having bought on EBay, you only get a the bumper to bumper warranty for the remaining 14,000 miles? Do you get the option to purchase an extended warranty?

If you live in California you are put ahead of everyone but other Californians, SpaceX employees, and Tesla employees. Say 25,000 to 50,000 cars for employees. Maybe 50,000 Californian non employees. You'll get the car in 2018 most likely in the first quarter, worst case third quarter.

You should lease a car for two years and be ready to dump it when you get a Model 3.

See if Tesla will lease you a CPO for 2 years. If they won't see about buying a CPO Model S on a 2 year loan with the plan to trade it in to Tesla or Sell it the day you get your Model 3.

If that sounds too expensive lease a 30 kWh Leaf for 2 years and dump it on Nissan when it's next to worthless the day your Model 3 arrives.
What about tesla owners? Teslas are all over the place where I live..

Is there a way to lease a CPO car? Also is there a resale value price guarantee for CPO cars? I know it's TBD, but how much roughly would I expect to lose in 2 years? I would expect to lose at least $20k, likely more.

What about tesla owners? Teslas are all over the place where I live..

Is there a way to lease a CPO car? Also is there a resale value price guarantee for CPO cars? I know it's TBD, but how much roughly would I expect to lose in 2 years? I would expect to lose at least $20k, likely more.

Tesla owners in CA will be ahead of someone in CA without a Tesla but both are ahead of the rest of the world. The point is since you are in CA you'll not be waiting as long as some random reservation in FL or NY.

I have no idea on the lease numbers. You'll have to check with Tesla and a bank or two to see what kind of deal you can get.

All,

Thanks for all your messages. We test drove the car today and we loved it. We are considering a brand new s70 with leather, panoramic roof, autopilot for $80,200.

It is true that it is different car from the 3. It is hard to judge since I saw the 3 in pictures only but the S seems a prettier car to me. i really like that sedan look and hatchback functionality. I am hoping we could pack a set of surfboards without even reclining the passenger front seat or using a roof rack (seems possible with at least one of our surfboard). I am also hoping to keep my dog away from the back seats and leave her in cargo space. These are the kind of things which would definitely not be feasible on the 3.

This.

If you can afford it, rather than waiting for the Model 3 or buying CPO without autopilot I would rather get a base 70 with autopilot. You will love it!!

Reactions: Beryl
I have been wanting a Model 3 for about a decade, even before the first Alpha prototypes of the Roadster came out.
Last year, I got a new job, and the conditions that came with it made it almost possible to get a Model S. Once that spreadsheet (come on, you do it too) stared back at me and said "This almost makes sense!", there was no going back.
I pulled the trigger in September and got an s70 RWD with just a few options. And, well, words fail me... :):cool::D
Best. Car. Ever.
But I leased it, as it is way too early in the game to own this tech, IMHO. I still got the California check, but not the federal tax credit. Don't care!

Now, I have reserved my Model 3, and will time it with my lease ending in September 2018. Hopefully!

Elon would make a great politician. He seems constitutionally incapable of giving a straight answer to a straightforward question. His
squirmy response to being called on out comparing the ASP of other cars to the base price of the M3 does not make him look good.
I believe his $~30k figure for the ASP of cars sold in America today is significantly high. Why doesn't just come right out and say the M3
is another step toward the goal of an electric car for everyone, but it is not the end of that road?

Elon Musk does not do a great job when it comes to making me want to buy a model s right now :(

Anybody else expecting a major refresh of the auto pilot hardware at the end of the year? seems like a pretty sure thing to me after watching this.

Yeah, reading his expression on the question, it seems like this will be. Hints seem to be there, wiring diagrams uncovered, test mock ups on existing ms spotted.

If Tesla announces this in the next m3 reveal by end of year, I can't imagine it would not impact ms/x sales w/o implementing it in the ms/x. If they don't I would expect orders to be delayed until this occurs as getting AP2 hardware would be highly desirable for most I would expect.

If the current AP functionality is sufficient for you, then no reason not to not get a ms if you can afford one. Even with AP2 hardware, the software may not be ready for some time.

Yeah, reading his expression on the question, it seems like this will be. Hints seem to be there, wiring diagrams uncovered, test mock ups on existing ms spotted.

If Tesla announces this in the next m3 reveal by end of year, I can't imagine it would not impact ms/x sales w/o implementing it in the ms/x. If they don't I would expect orders to be delayed until this occurs as getting AP2 hardware would be highly desirable for most I would expect.

If the current AP functionality is sufficient for you, then no reason not to not get a ms if you can afford one. Even with AP2 hardware, the software may not be ready for some time.
Well It seems that AP1 definitely has an impact on resale value. I am definitely concerned with resale value.