Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is EAP worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of changing to a Model 3 LR for the 200 mile commute to work (fortunately only three or four times a month).

At the moment I have a Volvo with the very capable pilot assist system. It looks like autopilot is pretty similar except for the fact that it disconnects every time you change lane, which would drive me nuts (the Volvo system stays engaged).

With this in mind I'm looking at the EAP package but the videos on YouTube from a driver's perspective make it out to be a bit useless in the UK - lane changes take ages, apparently you need to move the steering wheel yourself anyway, and it'll choose to slow down instead of suggesting a lane change.

Is this a reasonable assessment? I've only driven a Model 3 with basic autopilot.

Reactions: OttoR and Yachtsman
Most of us were lucky to receive a trial for EAP earlier in the year so that we could determine whether it was worth it. I won't spoil the surprise for you but you can read this thread and view the poll results:

When you purchase the car, you don't need to add EAP on at the time of purchase, you can add it as an upgrade (bit more complicated if leasing) after the purchase and you'll have 24-48 hours (sorry, can't remember exactly) to ask for a refund, if it doesn't suit you.

At the moment I have a Volvo with the very capable pilot assist system. It looks like autopilot is pretty similar except for the fact that it disconnects every time you change lane, which would drive me nuts (the Volvo system stays engaged).
I too came from a Volvo, much prefer Pilot Assist for the same reason and with far less phantom braking. I wouldn't pay for EAP to offset the irritation of AP disengaging on lane change. From what I've heard the auto lane change is a bit reluctant so you'll end up having to dis-engage/re-engage to change lane and be a few grand worse off for no real benefit that I can see.

There is significant disagreement on this forum about FSD, EAP and Autopilot in general. Some people (including me) have next to no issues, I certainly wouldn't be without and I use Lane Changing and AutoPilot every day. Other people seem to have a different experience with something they call 'phantom braking'.

People who elected not to buy the EAP or FSD service tend to be very vocal about it not being for them. Fair enough, but that doesn't really take away from others that did and make good use. I didn't pay for red paint but don't feel the need to tell people that all the time.

I bought the car in 2019 for maybe similar reason to you, occasionally doing long trips back from work destinations. It works brilliantly, so much easier and safer to drive with the benefit of FSD. Made a significant improvement to travel, then Covid came and I've been working from home since last March.

Dump the Volvo, drive the future.

There is significant disagreement on this forum about FSD, EAP and Autopilot in general. Some people (including me) have next to no issues, I certainly wouldn't be without and I use Lane Changing and AutoPilot every day. Other people seem to have a different experience with something they call 'phantom braking'.

People who elected not to buy the EAP or FSD service tend to be very vocal about it not being for them. Fair enough, but that doesn't really take away from others that did and make good use. I didn't pay for red paint but don't feel the need to tell people that all the time.

I elected to pay for FSD and I’m more than happy to admit that it’s complete crap. The thing people call phantom braking has seen my car slam on the brakes at 70mph and bring the car down to 40 before I have time to react. This is on many, many occasions and for no discernible reason. I honestly don’t know how I’ve avoided being rear ended, but it’s made drivers behind me very angry with plenty of rude gestures. Lane changes are painfully slow and are often aborted. The software, which is in seemingly permanent beta, is deeply flawed. Would I buy it again? Absolutely no chance.

People often say that FSD is currently far from perfect but it’s an investment for the future. Well good luck with that one. There has been no discernible improvement in my experience after nearly two years ownership and multiple software updates. Nor do I have any faith in the expectation that the new software, currently being trialled but (like most things to do with Tesla) behind schedule, will bring any significant improvement for UK drivers for many years. With Tesla there is always the promise of amazing developments in the future, but the future never comes.

And yes, Volvo’s Pilate Assist is much better than Tesla’s offering.

I too think EAP is absolutely not worth the money.
Even the current TACC is just “meh”, and phantom braking is very much a thing, so much so that I drive with my foot on the accelerator all the time so I can quickly override the car when it puts the anchors down for spurious reasons.
There has been only minor improvement in the last couple of years.
I much preferred my VW Golf’s TACC.
Nope, spend your money in something more useful.

Reactions: OttoR
I thought you don’t have to move the wheel, just have it ‘torqued’ so it knows you’re there. If it isn’t detecting your hand on the wheel it’ll delay until it confirms? Same as when using AP anyway. If you have it detected at the time you indicate it should move fairly quickly as soon as it confirms its clear (which you’ll have already done before indicating anyway)

Navigate on autopilot does seem a little finicky with constantly pushing you out into lane 2 when there is no need, and not returning quickly enough - at least from the videos I’ve seen. To the point where I’d probably not bother - its only usable on motorways and still needs confirmation on lane changes so AP (with lane change from EAP) is enough I think.

Maybe you can try and get a test drive for a while in one with that option?

Reactions: MacJester and OttoR
I've been trying but there only seems to be basic autopilot on the fleet of demo cars. This was enough to let me know that I really liked the car but hated the "bing bong" *change lane* "bong bing" every 20-30 seconds on the M1.
They may just have it switched off (it was in the one I test drove in Jan 2020) - you have to enable it before you start driving in the menu as you can’t enable it once in drive.

For nav on autopilot to work you need to have the destination set in the cars nav and select “Nav on Autopilot” on the touch screen when it decides your on a road that it’s available.

Is FSD or EAP it worth it? well that's a personal preference that's dictated by the type and frequency of roads you drive on and your expectations of how competent the system is.

The first thing to note is Tesla's Full Self Driving doesn't mean the car drives itself - its just their trade name for the driver assist system, so if you expect to double pull the stalk sit back and read the paper - think again.
You need to still be in control of the car, feet ready and hands on the steering wheel, adaptive cruise works fine and you can set the gap at which you follow, FSD - you engage it and its like Adaptive cruise - however, if you want to overtake you check the mirrors, check the blind spot and if clear engage the indicator - the car will then change lane. I haven't tried the navigate on AP yet so cant comment on how well the system takes you off a motorway.

I have had the phantom braking but because my expectations of the system are not great when it happens I press the throttle and to date I've had no emergency stop type braking or cars nearly hitting me - to be honest i find it all rather amusing.

I bought my car with FSD - 6 months old, would I have paid for it - No, but I'm glad the car has it and perhaps I'm an optimist but consider it can only get better - or more amusing but either way having it will be an Advantage when it comes to resale against other similar spec vehicles if they don't have it, not saying I would get more for it but at least a chance of a quicker sale.

I believe the system will get a lot better, never be perfect, and RoboTaxi will never happen.
The car package should be judged as a whole rather than individual aspects, The car is comfortable, quiet and to me a gorgeous shape, It costs little to charge up, great range and superb performance, No VED and No servicing - I can change brake fluid every three years, change the cabin filter and swap out brake pads or disks should they ever be needed.

The problem with all car forums is that its more common for people to talk about the problems they have rather than how good or trouble free the car is so don't be too put off by some negative comments you read - You have a 4 year warranty on the car, a 5 year restraints system warranty and an 8 year battery and drivetrain warranty - So any issues will be Tesla's responsibility to fix.

I have absolutely no issues with my car that create any disappointment, no "Fanboi" at 65 years old either - 48 years driving experience with maybe 50 cars I've owned from Ford, BMW, Mazda, British Leyland, Rover, Jaguar, Porsche - and I can tell you - this is by far the best Car I have ever owned - and not the most expensive either.

Fully agree that it’s all down to personal preference on whether it’s worth it for you or not.

I tried the FSD when they offered the trial - I only had it for a day as they didn’t tell me it was active and I just happened to notice on the last day - I obviously deliberately went to try it out on a motorway - for me it was just a gimmick - in the US the features are potentially worth it but what we have in the UK with all the restrictions it’s not worth it for me.

I was down London last week and used “basic autopilot” most of the way there and back and had a very comfortable drive - the early Sunday morning drive down to scotch corner from Glasgow was, with the odd exception all done on autopilot set consistently at 70/60 all the way - I only changed lane a handful of times. Even when the traffic started building up for me it was no issue switching lanes just need to plan to pull out before TACC slows you down :) and it gives you something to do :) Also mastered wedging my legs against bottom of the wheel to stop the nagging! I didn’t risk it on the M25 though.

I found setting the follow distance to 6 cars was fine for me as it allowed others to pull into your lane without it freaking out and slamming the brakes on. I only had one “phantom break” event which I was expecting so just hit the accelerator as I was passing a lorry which swayed in the wind towards my lane.

The only issue I have is I would like the TACC to not spend so long once the vehicle in front is no longer in the lane before accelerating again!

I missed out on the recent trial so on Friday i paid for the upgrade to try it out. Summon worked ok but is it needed really? NOA is a pain as it kept wanting to move into the outside lane all the time, going south on the M5 i was going onto the M50, the sat nav knew this but had no intention of leaving the motorway. Leaving the M4 onto the A48 at Cardiff was a different story, it indicated in good time and took the slip road smoothly. Lane changes are best left to Miss Daisy as she'll complete them quicker, ok on a quiet motorway (if they exist) but if it's busy then it's useless. When i got back home i pressed the refund button. No thanks and certainly not for £3.4k

Reactions: ACarneiro
I like it. Use it occasionally...always if im texting or on the phone. But I am still ready to take over in a second.

The FSD will take you to your exit, after 600 ft it will disengage, drop down to EAP, but I usually take over myself at that point.

Its never 'jammed on the brakes' but has braked and I overrode it by hitting accelerator....never had anyone almost hit me or had anyone mad or finger gesturing me...just the odd compliments at stop lights saying how awesome my car looks.

FSD is a good investment, as it will get more expensive the closer it gets to fully functional.

I think FSD is at a crossroads. Tesla vision has to live up to expectation and cure a lot of issues. If it doesn’t, it will bring down the hammer of doom and could give rise for worldwide class actions for FSD refunds. If it does work, all well and good. In the UK we may just get to see something useful, reg’s permitting.
I hope it succeeds.

Reactions: MrBadger