Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previously, Model S used a Sierra Wireless 3G modem (AR8550 to be exact), based on a Qualcomm chipset, and for the AT&T network:

It's part of Sierra Wireless' AirPrime "AR" series, which of course has supported LTE since 2014:
file:///Users/HomeFolder/Downloads/Sierra_Wireless_AirPrime_AR_Series_Automotive_Wireless_Modules.pdf

Main Board3.png

Wireless Board and Chip (Sierra based on Qualcomm MDM6200).png

So, there will not be a software upgrade to LTE - the best you can hope for is a module swap on the board, but that's assuming Tesla had previously chosen an LTE compatible antenna.

Last edited:
Previously, Model S used a Sierra Wireless 3G modem (AR8550 to be exact), based on a Qualcomm chipset, and for the AT&T network

Actually, the very earliest Model Ses used the precursor to this chip which was not LTE capable. Sierra Wireless EoL-ed that chip and switched to the newer chip somewhere in the summer of 2013, so depending on how many of the older chips Tesla had on hand, they likely moved to the newer chip in the summer/fall of 2013.

With a bit of luck, many folks will simply need an antenna upgrade to get LTE, but for the earliest owners its probably going to be a bit more complicated.

For those that are wondering, all that's changed in the Touchscreen is the modem/GPS module, so in theory, it would be possible to retrofit it, just a LOT of labor.

Here's what it looks like:
Tesla-LTE-Modem.jpg

I think the Canadian roaming is pretty new

Anyone with LTE done any traveling to Canada? I have a 3G 85D and it has unlimited Canadian data roaming, which I wasn't expecting, but love. I'm curious to know if LTE models have the same roaming setup.

I just traded an early 85 for and 85D (built at the end of May - no LTE - booo). My old car shut down reception at the border. I was very pleasantly surprised to see if work when I went to Vancouver airport recently.