Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an I-Pace owner who has chatted with McRate, he's quite happy with the car. His problems are the usual BS for infotainment, and Tesla has had such issues too. Can't even get Waze on a Tesla. As a car, the I-Pace is fantastic. As a computer, well, that's what phones are for. Infotainment is crap. I wish no car had it. The absolute worst part of Teslas, beyond the reliability, built quality, and awful interiors, is the horrid screen. No HUD but a huge screen down low and to the right. Crack smokers.

I owned the I-pace for half a year, and there was a fair amount of bugs. I was not plagued by any serious ones like the "black screens of death" where none of the screens would power on. It comes pretty close to when my S90D lost functioning front ultrasonics for half a year 2017-2018, the numerous crashes of Spotify and the-soon-3-years-and-counting-delayed-EAP-and-FSD. Not really any case for Tesla supporters to gloat, the S90D and the I-pace had pretty similar quality issues.
The user interface with the InControl system was pretty good, but the screen they put in too small (see in the production car vs concept). I still rate Tesla firmware v8 as a better UI, especially the instrument cluster.

As an I-Pace owner who has chatted with McRate, he's quite happy with the car. His problems are the usual BS for infotainment, and Tesla has had such issues too. Can't even get Waze on a Tesla. As a car, the I-Pace is fantastic. As a computer, well, that's what phones are for. Infotainment is crap. I wish no car had it. The absolute worst part of Teslas, beyond the reliability, built quality, and awful interiors, is the horrid screen. No HUD but a huge screen down low and to the right. Crack smokers.
You can tell Jag owners by their distinctive meth mouth & constant itching...

I listen to about 6 different podcasts on TuneIn. Local FM radio occasionally. A couple thousand songs on my USB stick, which BTW also records HD video from 3 cameras when I'm driving, or sentry mode with a single button push when exiting the car. Discovered several new artists by simply asking the car to play someone I already know. Never skipped a beat even when zooming into the map, zooming out, rotating, etc.

So ya, have to agree with you about the "horrid" screen ;)

RT

So are the OTA updates like Tesla? Not sure what they can update.

Our good buddy McRat hasn't been around in a while, I sure do miss his anti-Tesla diatribes. Here he was back in 2018 just before buying his I-Pace...

Here he is on the I-Pace forum trying to debug his "improved quality" Jaguar:

mcrat_zpsworyuuws.jpg

mcrat2_zps8hudn695.jpg

mcrat3_zpsjmt5azig.jpg

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to which forum is the most popular and has the highest participation?

mcrat4_zpslpwhd2qb.jpg

So I went over there to have a look around this evening. The funniest part was there's a long thread complaining about Jaguar's lack of communication and responsiveness, and wishing they communicated as well as Tesla does.

I would have said clear communication was Tesla's weakest point as a company, but apparently it can always be worse...

So I went over there to have a look around this evening. The funniest part was there's a long thread complaining about Jaguar's lack of communication and responsiveness, and wishing they communicated as well as Tesla does.

I would have said clear communication was Tesla's weakest point as a company, but apparently it can always be worse...

The I-Pace forum is a dumpster fire of defective cars, manufacturer buyback struggles, and infotainment nightmares.

For all the prattling on we heard from this guy about established automakers doing extensive testing and validation to prevent the struggles Tesla has had it seems that it may have all been hogwash.

The I-Pace forum is a dumpster fire of defective cars, manufacturer buyback struggles, and infotainment nightmares.

For all the prattling on we heard from this guy about established automakers doing extensive testing and validation to prevent the struggles Tesla has had it seems that it may have all been hogwash.
JLR is too resource challenged to do well with EV's. Unlike VW.

JLR is too resource challenged to do well with EV's. Unlike VW.

The company as a whole is facing enormous financial headwinds. I think they (Tata) lost $4.4B in Q4 2018 and $1.5B in Q2 2019? Something like that. Then brexit is on the way which probably won’t help.

VW on the other hand might have a genuinely compelling product line on their new EV platform. I’m excited for the reveals of various EVs at Frankfurt this year.

Looks like the main batteries are starting to exhibit similar failure modes. Rut Roh... :eek:

ipace%20battery%20problems_zpswlma5mvh.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mtndrew1