Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got new update: 2017.42 a88c8d5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 2017.42 last night on my S100D APH2, previously was on 2017.34.

I have noticed the same improvements as other have noted; significant reduction in micro-corrections while going around curves, and better lane keeping on straight segments. There was a problematic intersection that always caused the car to veer to the right when cresting a small hill, that hasn't happened in multiple attempts through said intersection today.

I haven't checked to see if my categories are working for XM, will check that in a bit.

Intersections are now great. It won't veer sharply. It goes smoothly through. I did notice it trying to take a couple only lanes and tried one highway exit (the dip in, dip out -- didn't fully commit).

I also notice that yellow line marked shoulders are not read as lanes but white marked shoulders appear as a lane (and it will lane change into it).

ALC once again shows a bunch of cars even in the lane adjacent to the target lane (2 lanes over from where you started).

I noticed something at an intersection I've never seen before. The car recognized that the lane ended (T intersection) and the lane lines stopped halfway through.

Is that normal?

See picture.
zeiGzru.jpg

Very strange. While reading your post I thought I wrote it because that exact thing happened to me. Did your GPS fix itself this time?

Anyway, I had an error that said it did not update as well as the GPS stuck issue. So, called them and they transferred me around. The third person sent a command to my car to reset the GPS. Others only said reboot. She also said she would have someone review my firmware from engineering but I never heard back. My guess is the error is a false error since it is showing I am on 42.1.
Someone sent a "reset" signal from the Tesla support. They did the same thing after it got stuck last time as well. Screen reboots does nothing. Both the times the reset signal was sent while was car was parked in my garage.

Their explanation is that sometimes after a firmware update, the GPS system needs to be reset. I am taking my car in for service tomorrow and will mention this issue to them as well.

Ya that's to be expected. The length of those graphic lane lines depends on visibility. Becomes very clear when u approach a hill top

AP2, as far as I've seen, thinks roads just keep going even if it can't see the lane lines. At least it was doing that for me.

Also, FYI, car will see stopped cars at 40mph with seemingly regularity now. Hopefully that is yet another manifestation of better vision. When I work up the nerve, I'll try for a video of it.

I really dont understand the fuzz about not seeing stoppd cars. In my two year ownership ive never once had a problem with the car not slowing to a halt before stopped cars. Weird
Hmm I think that must be yet another environmental variance because for me even in 2017.34 it happens a lot more often than I would like. Much like Byshop’s YouTube videos, sometimes when approaching stopped traffic, especially around slight bends, at 50+ mph, it will not initiate braking even 300-400ft away. By the time I take over I have to use nearly full braking force, so I’m extremely confident it would not have come to a stop correctly. I’d say this happens 20-30% of the time.

Another 10% of the time, the car will correctly come to a stop, but then the lead car will “flicker” and the car creeps forward, or the lead car will suddenly disappear and my car will start accelerating towards it.

This most often happens around bends, or when the car in front has a bike rack or is a garbage truck / semi truck.

FWIW, the 17.17.4 release behaved really well in this regard. My problems really only started with the Silky Smooth updates circa 2017.28.

Has Tesla said when they're going to activate the side and rear cameras, or have they already done so? An around view monitor would be great for parking and reversing.
In the 2.5 hardware thread, verygreen has data showing that there are new neural networks being deployed which use the front wide angle and rear facing cameras for the first time. It doesn't mean it's using them for current driving, so we can only speculate at this stage. It's probably working in shadow mode for the time being, contributing data but not altering your current driving behaviour. Even more interesting is data from the wideangle camera is called autowipers.

Last edited:
Installed this on my AP2 S today. Wow, this is a big difference for me in EAP performance! Best release I’ve had since I got the car. In fact, I would dare to say it’s silky. The big differences I’ve noticed so far are much smoother and cantered in the lane on surface streets. The previous build for me was too close to the line when a curb was on the other side. That problem is gone now. Also going through intersections is way better. I haven’t seen the normal curve-to-one-side when halfway through the intersection. It just sailed straight through on the same ones I’ve normally had issues with. Didn’t see the normal thing where he lines dissapear and it shows the car in front as blue. Now it shows blue lane markings on both sides through the intersection even though the markers aren’t there.

For me, this has been a big step forward, and I’m pretty sure it’s not just placebo. :)

So far so good with homelink too.