Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

Curious to see if other members with a S (or X) built in this time frame experienced any issues with the DRLs. By DLRs, I mean the "halo" which borders the LED headlight enclosure.

Earlier this year the passenger side DLR partially failed where a portion of the DLR was not illuminated. I suspect one underlying lights (LEDs?) in the DLR strip went out, but never directly asked that question. I observed no other defect in the DLR or headlights at the time. I filed a service request under warranty. A ranger was dispatched by Tesla Service, diagnosed the issue, requested the replacement part - an entirely new headlight assembly - and then returned to swap it out when the part came in.

Shrugged it off to Tesla being Tesla and did not think anything more of it until the driver's side DLR did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Like before, a portion of the DLR halo had gone dim but the headlight itself appeared to be functioning normally. Dropped it off at the SC they replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly.

I can understand parts breaking but am suspicious the exact same failure occurred twice. This suspicion leads me to question if the supplier Tesla used to provide illumination to the DLRs had a defect in the manufacturing process - hence the thread. Curious to see if any other members with similar late 2016 / early 2017 build S's (or X's) experienced similar issues.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
  • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
View attachment 315208

Driver side just replaced, 37k miles

JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

Curious to see if other members with a S (or X) built in this time frame experienced any issues with the DRLs. By DLRs, I mean the "halo" which borders the LED headlight enclosure.

Earlier this year the passenger side DLR partially failed where a portion of the DLR was not illuminated. I suspect one underlying lights (LEDs?) in the DLR strip went out, but never directly asked that question. I observed no other defect in the DLR or headlights at the time. I filed a service request under warranty. A ranger was dispatched by Tesla Service, diagnosed the issue, requested the replacement part - an entirely new headlight assembly - and then returned to swap it out when the part came in.

Shrugged it off to Tesla being Tesla and did not think anything more of it until the driver's side DLR did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Like before, a portion of the DLR halo had gone dim but the headlight itself appeared to be functioning normally. Dropped it off at the SC they replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly.

I can understand parts breaking but am suspicious the exact same failure occurred twice. This suspicion leads me to question if the supplier Tesla used to provide illumination to the DLRs had a defect in the manufacturing process - hence the thread. Curious to see if any other members with similar late 2016 / early 2017 build S's (or X's) experienced similar issues.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
  • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
View attachment 315208

2018 Model S 75D (June/18 delivery) - and I just had my passenger-side (RH) headlight replaced through Tesla service for this same issue.

Replacement part: HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571-00-D)

Suspect driver-side may fail in the future, but looks solid as of now. I'll be watching this closely.

Does anyone have any idea what the mode of failure is? My driver side browned out over months. Passenger side just went out *poof*. It’s gotta be wiring, right? Does water get in? It was clear the day my passenger side went out because I remember it being really hard to see the reflection in cars’ bumpers/trunks due to the brightness. So it didn’t get wet. And LEDs don’t fade to a different color when voltage gets low

Does anyone have any idea what the mode of failure is? My driver side browned out over months. Passenger side just went out *poof*. It’s gotta be wiring, right? Does water get in? It was clear the day my passenger side went out because I remember it being really hard to see the reflection in cars’ bumpers/trunks due to the brightness. So it didn’t get wet. And LEDs don’t fade to a different color when voltage gets low
Good question. I was wondering why mine are still okay. My car has definitely seen a lot of wetness since I live in Portland. Maybe it has something to do with the sun and heat. My car is usually undercover since I park in a garage at home and at work. Maybe sitting in the hot sun fries them?

It would seem the a DRL malfunction is also the source of a humming noise when the vehicle is powered down? I noticed this in the mornings, and preconditioning is off. I'm guessing it's related to my DRL which is out.

I have a humming noise as well, frequently when the car appears to be asleep in the garage… at random times of the day.

So, when the Mobile Tech came to replace my most recent dead DRL we found the hum. In my car, it’s the coolant pump assy (1037327-00-G) which is #32 here: https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/60288

Not sure if it’s a problem, so we left it alone.

I have a 2017 MS. Just had my passenger running daylights replaced. Mine was burnt out half way.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 322
2018 P100D - Just ticked over 9000km and the driver’s side DRL is no longer a uniform brightness. We are ~1600km from the SC so will have to wait until the next round of services.

Attachments

• B782C5AD-DF65-416F-BDC8-A729406F45AA.jpeg
    B782C5AD-DF65-416F-BDC8-A729406F45AA.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 313
  • C8712EEA-2314-4A71-A641-C89FF81CA3DA.jpeg
    C8712EEA-2314-4A71-A641-C89FF81CA3DA.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 254
What the new lights still have issues with the surround LED?!

My left side eyebrow is half out and I am at 47k miles.

Also I heard the original facelift headlamps didn’t do so well on IIHS headlamp test. Tesla made the model 3 lights much better. Did Tesla eventually made improvements on model s and x lights since? For those who got new lights, are they any better?

2017 Tesla Model S
2018 Tesla Model 3