Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like a direct response to Tesla communications issues.

The text of the email they sent to preorder holders:

We’d like you to meet the Rivian Guides.

As we’ve been building our vehicles and support services in preparation for deliveries this June, you’ve been patiently waiting. We can’t thank you enough for being on this journey with us and allowing us the time to get the details right.

Your experience as a Rivian owner is our top priority and I am excited to introduce the people who are going to help make owning a Rivian truly unique.

Say hello to the Rivian Guides, your personal connection to everything at Rivian.

As a preorder holder — and soon-to-be owner — you will be paired with a dedicated Rivian Guide who will serve as your single point of contact from the moment your vehicle enters our production queue and for as long as you own your Rivian. Any questions you have, you can call, text or email your Guide. They are your direct line to all things Rivian.

none

Right now, our Guides are going through rigorous product and systems training, spending hours preparing and collaborating with practically every department across the company. It’s truly inspiring to see how much care and passion is going in. You will never hear “Let me get you to the right person” or “Let me transfer you” from our Guides. Instead, you will have “your person” for whatever you need.

Guide introductions will begin in May once training is complete, starting with Launch Edition preorder holders first. Introductions will be one to one, so it will take time for everyone to meet their Guide. When your Guide reaches out, the final ordering process begins. From configuration questions to scheduling delivery — and all your adventures once your Rivian arrives — your Guide will be with you. If you have questions before meeting your Guide, our Customer Service Team remains here for you.

Until then, training continues. We’ll also begin sending regular updates to our preorder community on Rivian news. You can also head to our blog today for more details on our Guides and a brief message from our founder RJ.

On behalf of our entire Guide Team, and everyone at Rivian, we can’t wait to meet you.

Rivian has announced their plans for 3500 proprietary 200kW DCFC stations at 600+ locations by the end of 2023. The plan is to subscribe to fully renewable plans with energy providers where possible, or use Renewable Energy Certificates to offset if not. They also announced plans for 10,000+ "Waypoint" chargers that are L2. One partnership announced is to install these slower L2 chargers at Colorado State Parks.

• Informative
Reactions: RobStark
Rivian has announced their plans for 3500 proprietary 200kW DCFC stations at 600+ locations by the end of 2023. The plan is to subscribe to fully renewable plans with energy providers where possible, or use Renewable Energy Certificates to offset if not. They also announced plans for 10,000+ "Waypoint" chargers that are L2. One partnership announced is to install these slower L2 chargers at Colorado State Parks.

Proprietary? So following Porsche and Tesla lead I guess.

Proprietary? So following Porsche and Tesla lead I guess.

I hope not, but highly likely it will be exclusive to Rivian. If Tesla is doing that, why not these other EV manufacturers as well? It’s such an unfortunate situation, though.
Imagine if all higher priced EV makers did this. You’ll have station after station but only one will work with your car. It would be like having only one gas station in your entire town that works for you.

Yeah, this is becoming a bit like streaming services. Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+.. etc.

On the other hand, I spoke with some friends who own a Bolt and are renting an ICE for an upcoming road trip because of the experiences they've had with Chargepoint and EVGo on previous trips. They relied on a charger that was purportedly up, but found it to be out of service. The incentives are stronger for a manufacturer to maintain their charging network than they are for a third party to do so. They both have an incentive for uptime, but the vehicle manufacturer could face larger blowback if they have widespread issues. At least, that's my view on it.

There's the additional issue of future congestion and control. If Rivian relies on third parties to build out a network for them, when and if EV sales take off, congestion at those chargers could impact potential buyers of their vehicles. Having your own charging network at least provides a bit of control over that situation, which could mitigate the risk.

In any case, more charging stations (proprietary or not) are better than less charging stations. So I am happy to see that they're thinking about it.

I hope not, but highly likely it will be exclusive to Rivian. If Tesla is doing that, why not these other EV manufacturers as well? It’s such an unfortunate situation, though.
Imagine if all higher priced EV makers did this. You’ll have station after station but only one will work with your car. It would be like having only one gas station in your entire town that works for you.

From what I see, it looks like the Rivian uses the CCS Combo charger. So the Rivian network could be opened up to other brands at the flip of a switch, unlike Tesla's which would be slightly more complicated.

I would hope that they go with open standard charging infrastructure, but maybe charge a premium for non-partnered vehicles.
From the link I pasted:
These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.

Rivian will use CCS connector.

They could make busy stations Rivian only and open non-busy stations to all CCS BEVs. Or just busy stations during busy hours Rivian only.

That is what I would do.

Maximum utility to Rivian owners, Max income for Rivian, a lot more utility to the CCS owner community.

Reactions: ohmman
I still find it unfortunate that these much smaller volume manufacturers (like Porsche and Rivian) are opting to build a charging network exclusive to their brand rather than do the one thing that would help their customers the most and that is partner with the Tesla Supercharger network.

Reactions: X Fan
I still find it unfortunate that these much smaller volume manufacturers (like Porsche and Rivian) are opting to build a charging network exclusive to their brand rather than do the one thing that would help their customers the most and that is partner with the Tesla Supercharger network.
Does Tesla want to partner their SC network with other manufacturers? This isn’t just a one-sided matter. I, personally, don’t think Tesla will ever want to do so.

Does Tesla want to partner their SC network with other manufacturers? This isn’t just a one-sided matter. I, personally, don’t think Tesla will ever want to do so.
They have said they're willing to do so (or at least Elon tweeted something to that effect), but I would be very interested to see what the conditions might look like and how reasonable it is. It's not entirely so clear-cut to me. Also, from a marketing perspective it must be difficult for a manufacturer to send their customers to another manufacturer's brightly branded stalls.

Have they advised how many units per location and what the Cap Cost will be?