Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you say more about this? Is it in controlling turn signals, wipers, and shifting while steering?
It's a combination of all of these.
With a wheel, while looking around to be sure you're where you should be, going there right way, not hitting things close by, checking for other cars approaching, backing out nearby, etc, you know where everything is, no matter what the wheel position. You can grab the shifter to change direction (quickly if necessary) where your hand reaches for it with a big motion (hand, finger, forearm, etc.). Same goes for the wheel. There's no need to take your eyes away from this complex dynamic situation happening outside your car to verify you're shifting correctly inside. Maybe you'd eventually learn to swipe while guiding your right thumb along the side of the screen while your index finger swipes the directional control on the edge - but I'm skeptical.
It might be ok with FSD - but that's still a way off.
I suppose that, with a lot of time, one might be able to get used to where the wiper and turn signal buttons are although it will be relative to the wheel position and a fairly precise motion. If you're in a turn, with your hands at an awkward position (because there are only few positions where they can be on the steering yoke), it may be tough. It would be with your left hand or your right hand depending on steering yoke position.
With the Model 3 stalks, you know where it is, you can hit it quickly with your left hand - up for right, down for left (same direction as wheel turn), or hit the end to for the wipers. They are always right there.
I will admit that the use of the Mercedes stalks (4 of them - direction control, turn signal, cruise control, sheering wheel tilt and telescope) in the Model S fell a bit short on the other side of the human factors continuum curve - especially when they decided to reverse the order of the signal and cruise control (which was initially on top, then, with the no-bullet refresh it went to the bottom - or was it the other way?). IMHO, they nailed it with the Model 3 by moving steering wheel tilt and telescope to the touch screen and letting the direction control stalk control cruise control after it is no longer useful when you're in forward motion. Only 2 stalks seem about optimal. Simpler but not too simple. Keeping it all where you need it.
I have no problem with a yoke in an airplane (you only drive forward and instruments are extremely critical to safety so you don't want them blocked) or a race car (same forward motion thing). Maybe they should try a joystick like a helicopter since it goes backward too? Fighter jets also have joysticks so, to many, it would be even cooler than a yoke. There's probably a law requiring a mechanical linkage that wouldn't work too well on a joystick though.
Let's just stick with a wheel - at least as a factory option.

I was afraid this day would come to the 3/Y. Looks like they will be removing the stalks from the 3/Y. I have to be honest, I think this is a stupid idea. They did this to my S along with the yoke. I hated the yoke so much I replaced it with a Hansshow wheel. I can't get back the lack of stalks though. This was a very bad design decision. Even stupider on the S because if you hit the center airbag the horn doesn't work.

The lack of stalks is a real pain if you have a blind intersection and have to reverse quickly. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had with my S over this idiot implementation of the gear selector.

Here is a post where I wrote how the lack of stalks focused on the gearshift issue.

I’ve loved my 2015 Model S, but that’s it for me. I’ll never buy any car with such horrid controls. The on-screen shifting and haptic horn should be illegal. Bye forever, Tesla.

As much as I like my S and 3 (not so much the Y), these might definitely be my last Teslas. I've spent over 200k on them in just over 9 months. I have never warmed up to the control abomination the stalk removals have been on my S. I really gave it a chance. I am 7k miles in and it still sucks. If it wasn't for the Hannshow wheel to replace the horrid yoke, I would have sold the S by now.

I can't every get my wife to drive the S. We can be on a 20 hour drive, and I can't get her to drive it at all. At least with it I haven't upgraded the SW to the version that removes the radar from the TACC/AP stack so I don't have horrendous phantom braking so it makes my long drives without any help more manageable. With her not willing to drive it, it also means I can't have her at the wheel while I could work.

I am pretty certain at this point that if I could have test drove the S before I ordered, I would have never ordered it. Love most everything about the car other than the yoke and the lack of stalks. Unfortunately those are the things I use the most. Take away the hedgehog game and give me better controls.

There may be no "good" arguments, but removing the stalks is a typical Tesla design move. You dump two moving parts in favor of buttons which are now integrated into the steering wheel. Now you don't need to deal with the stalk supplier anymore and you might save a few pennies also.
Those pennies they save gonna fell real good against the millions they lose in sales because the new controls are absolute garbage. They appeal to fan boyz, ricers, Musk apostles, and those who love to believe the stalkless yoke keeps them in an exclusive club now that everyone is making capable EVs, but in the huge market of Models Y & 3, the new controls will prove themselves wildly unpopular because as I’ve mentioned, the lack of real controls actually, objectively, demonstrably sucks.

Sure, it would be easier and faster if you never turned the wheel... Assuming you did a good job of laying them out in the first place. And of course, you didn't do anything asinine like moving the horn to a tiny little button instead of the middle of wheel and the list goes on.

To top it off, let's replace the shifter with buttons or a screen that operates much slower than the stalks. You'll never have to change direction quickly while needing to keep your eyes on the road. I bet you've never started to enter a blind intersection only to realize there is oncoming traffic and you need to back up. Likely you've never been going through a parking lot behind someone and they realized they overshot a parking place and throw it in reverse and you need to do the same to prevent them from backing into you. You likely never have to do 3 point turns (or a few more point so to speak) to park the car or turn around in a tight area. Hmm, maybe you've never driven in snow and were stuck and you needed to rock the car to help get unstuck.

Those are just 4 examples of where the removal of the stalks just for the gear shift is a total cluster. It isn't like they replaced it with something equal or better.
^ Four outstanding examples as to why on-screen ‘shifting’ is absolutely, indefensibly awful and stupid.

About the 2021 Yoke S I sold.

1. Auto gear selection wasn't 100% correct
2. Horn needed to be under airbag. mashing right side worked but also made wipers cycle once. They must have forgotten to QC that
3. Can never use the knee to hold straight momentariy as we all do. Would cause car to lean away
4. Fun for winding roads and aggressive manuevring (.01% of driving)
5. The worst was having to look at yoke to find blinkers. as dumb as that change is, at least right blinker on right side of yoke
6. Looks cool
6. Love my Model 3

There was a recent thread about issues someone was having with a 2023 M3. Someone asked the OP if the car had the steering wheel stalks and he replied that it did. For the life of me I can’t find the thread. If I find it I’ll post a link.

This isn’t the one I was thinking of, but the poster says his 2023 has a traditional wheel and stems

Quick and easy procedure, no issued encountered. All as expected - LPF, Tesla Vision (no sensors), tradition steering wheel and stems.

I found the post in the Ordering and Delivery sub forum. post is titled “

2023 RWD Tesla 3 picked up last night in Ft Lauderdale FL”​

Reactions: Oil Freedom
That is not surprising. As noted earlier in this thread, removal of the stalks from the Model 3/Y is just a rumour at this stage. My understanding is that it has not been formally announced and it is not clear that it will ever actually happen. Correct me if I am wrong on that, but this is my understanding at this point.
It is still a rumor but I am confident it will happen. Tesla will do anything to improve margins. They would remove the wheels if they could get away with it. Heck they already ship without brakes <- that was sarcastic

• Funny
Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
My 2023 M3P also has a full steering wheel and stalks. That doesn't rule out a drastic mid-year change, but I'm skeptical that they would actually do this.
I wouldn't put anything past Tesla to save a buck. Somebody has to help make up for the Twitter deal.

Just like when they couldn't get radar in 2021 and yanked it from all the 3/Y's and claimed it was all in the master plan. Maybe logistics were part of that, maybe saving a lot per car. Just like removing the passenger lumbar support (something my wife loved). Now yanking radar from the S/X. Most likely to save money from both the hardware and less code branches.

While I really like my S (other than the yoke/stalkless disaster) and my 3 is a pretty good car, next time around I am far less likely to buy a Tesla. I've bought 3 in the last 18 months. The 2 I still have could likely be my last. The interesting tech doesn't offset the crappy yoke and stalk. I don't think FSD will ever be out of beta in my lifetime. A lot of traditional car companies are quickly catching up with Tesla and pay a lot more attention to build quality and customer experience.

folks talked to me like I had 3 heads
Well, this is the three headed thread. Welcome bro. Sorry, easy snip. Some love the yoke/stalkless set up, some just hate it and others live with it and move on. I bought my S and I'm in the 1st group. I did not even test drive before I bought. I went in looking forward to something new. I did put a 2 cent raised clear button on the horn so i can feel where it is instead of diverting my eyes. That's all I needed to improve things. I don't have three heads, but it's OK if you do. .... Leaving quickly to my S headed thread before mine gets bit off .....

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyberGus