Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you get used to haptics, they are really much simpler than dealing with all the knobs, switches, push pull, move up/down, etc. that comes with manipulating the typical stalk with headlight dimming, turn signal, horn button, windshield wiper, windshield washer, dash dimmer, cruise control, running lights, rear wipers/washers etc.
Physical controls have the major advantage in that they can be operated by feel without looking at them (or operating a different control by mistake), if they are properly designed (not all physical controls in cars are well designed, however).

I suppose if your bicycle manufacturer's data shows that "90% of riding happens off the seat" and so they decide to do away with bike seats, you'll be happy to ride the pole.

Tesla can remove passenger lumbar support (and driver side too for all I care). They can even remove the seat controls and move them into the touchscreen (they probably should)... but if the car has no stalks, I won't buy it.
Only Luddites would refuse to ride the pole.

Motivation to change from stalks hanging on steering columns is strong. It can save hundreds of $ by neither buying them or installing them.

Also... Tesla is cranking out a completed vehicle in FORTY-FIVE SECONDS. You think two stalks on the steering column are costing them hundreds of dollars in time/labor/materials? That seems hard to believe.

It doesn't matter what's said on these forums in defense of this decision... this luddite ain't buying another Tesla without stalks. Not gonna ride the pole.

I don't have anything new to add, but I want to say it anyway. I love my model 3. Excited to drive it every morning, 3 years in. Best car I've ever owned by a very long way. If they remove the stalks, I'll never buy another one.

People love their Tesla's for a lot of reasons, but "incredibly fun to drive" is a big one.

I need to take my eyes off the road, remove my hand from the wheel and find an icon target to shift into reverse? Elon and team don't understand what's great about the cars they've made and don't care what their users think or feel about their cars. Spoiled by excessive demand I guess. We can thank them for pushing the entire ICE industry toward electric platforms, but trashing the user experience to remove the cost of stalks or because simpler is better even if users hate the result?!?

I love to drive my M3. No stalks would destroy that. If stalks go, 2019 will be my last Tesla.

I don't have anything new to add, but I want to say it anyway. I love my model 3. Excited to drive it every morning, 3 years in. Best car I've ever owned by a very long way. If they remove the stalks, I'll never buy another one.

People love their Tesla's for a lot of reasons, but "incredibly fun to drive" is a big one.

I need to take my eyes off the road, remove my hand from the wheel and find an icon target to shift into reverse? Elon and team don't understand what's great about the cars they've made and don't care what their users think or feel about their cars. Spoiled by excessive demand I guess. We can thank them for pushing the entire ICE industry toward electric platforms, but trashing the user experience to remove the cost of stalks or because simpler is better even if users hate the result?!?

I love to drive my M3. No stalks would destroy that. If stalks go, 2019 will be my last Tesla.

100% how I feel about this.

When I got the S after waiting forever, the 3 showed up only a few weeks after. Dealing with the yoke and not stalks just sucked the joy out of driving the car for me. Such a great car and the F'd it over without really putting any thought into it other than what a 10th grader in shop class might think is cool in the car.

If Porsche had at least made an attempt at one pedal driving (I do understand why they did what they did), I'd probably dump my S and buy a Taycan or eTron GT. Sure the S is a better value but who gives a fork if you cripple the control systems, and kill a lot of the fun driving it. I am not anti-yoke in general, just the crappy way they implemented it. I didn't really understand now bad the design was with the stalks gone and now they implemented it until I drove it for a while. If most of my life was on the highway, I could live with it.

If I had known it would be this bad for me, I'd have bought some other car. I have a car that I love 90% and absolutely despise about 10% of it. I don't think I've owned a car that has been so polarizing for me in a long time. At least with the Hansshow wheel it might have dialed the disgust to about 5% a lot of the time, and then I remember the yoke/stalks were a package deal. Factor in my car isn't running close to the claimed 0-60 times and it just ticks me off even more.

Its really sad but if I am driving in the city I'd much rather be in the 3 than the S because of the stalks and sometimes have to change from forward to reverse quickly. If the future is stalkless Teslas, without an improved gear selection system, these are my last ones for sure. It was bad enough suffering through when they removed radar from the 3/Y and all the phantom braking I dealt with in the Y. I'll give them a chance to do make improvements , but if not, I'll vote with my dollars for something else.

Some drivers of cars still use turn signals in my neck of the woods. Not everyone of course as if you just moved here from say another continent you would probably just assume that pickup trucks don't come standard with turn signals seeing full size pickup trucks around here rarely ever provide other drivers the courtesy of announcing their intentions when turning or changing lanes.

Reactions: TimTam
Visiting California right now and driving around it has become clear that, out here anyway, the use of the "blinky things" has passed into the sands of time. Why have a stalk for a control no one is using?

LOL... perhaps that's why they're bent on getting rid of the stalks. Where I'm at, people actively get tickets for not using their blinker. Additionally, 26 years of driving has taught me that giving other drivers advanced notice of your lane changes and turns helps avoid accidents.

They can even remove the seat controls and move them into the touchscreen (they probably should)... but if the car has no stalks, I won't buy it.

But how would you even reach the center screen to adjust it if you're friggin' huge, and your 4-foot-9, 85-pound wife was the last to drive the car? Arms are too short and big gut doesn't fit between the wheel in that situation.

I suppose if your bicycle manufacturer's data shows that "90% of riding happens off the seat" and so they decide to do away with bike seats, you'll be happy to ride the pole.

I'll admit I busted out laughing at that one. Reminded me of a South Park episode that had some goofy thing with unmentionable controls, but it was better than waiting to go through airport security.

Physical controls have the major advantage in that they can be operated by feel without looking at them (or operating a different control by mistake), if they are properly designed (not all physical controls in cars are well designed, however).
Like watching TV in the dark... you can feel the volume button without having to take your eyes off the TV.

But how would you even reach the center screen to adjust it if you're friggin' huge, and your 4-foot-9, 85-pound wife was the last to drive the car? Arms are too short and big gut doesn't fit between the wheel in that situation.

The seat moves back to your settings once your profile is selected, which happens with the phone key as soon as you get in the car. They could add seat controls to the app too though.

LOL... perhaps that's why they're bent on getting rid of the stalks. Where I'm at, people actively get tickets for not using their blinker. Additionally, 26 years of driving has taught me that giving other drivers advanced notice of your lane changes and turns helps avoid accidents.
Not to mention the liability issues if you fail to use them and there is an accident.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
As much as I love my model 3 (and I do love it, even after 4 years of driving it, which is extremely rare for me to like a car that long) I would not have bought it if it had a yoke and no stalks.

I wouldnt have bought my wifes model Y we got in march if it had a yoke and no stalks.

I never considered a new refresh S because it has a yoke and no stalks.

I am fairly progressive, I like technology, and I dont necessarily dislike change, but I am not a formula 1 driver (so I dont want a yoke) and im not interested in a stalkless turn signal.

I say I wouldnt have bought the cars if they were like that, and I mean that. I am typically not one who would go on websites for a company and say " I dont own this thing and I am not buying it because XXXXX" like I see so many do here. I would simply just not consider a Tesla, and move onto another brand that I felt deserved my money.

If tesla goes to a yoke / stalkless model 3 and something happens to my car, the replacement wouldnt be a tesla, full stop, do not pass go. Im very much "not" here for it.

Come drive with me, and you'll learn to hate the lack of stalks as much as I do. At least I got rid of the yoke. It wasn't a benefit either in my daily commute.
In my opinion, there are no good arguments for replacing the steering wheel with a yoke or for replacing the stalks with buttons. Neither of those are improvements.

I'd actually take it a step further and say that I'm not sure this is even subjective. Not sure there's any thorough testing or data on the subject, but the yoke is straight up missing half the wheel - in an emergency it has a lot of surface that can't be grabbed.

As for the stalks... buttons just *might* be sufficient for the task, but having to look for them is a no-go. I have no desire to give up my stalks, and I'm guessing 250 million other drivers in the US agree.

In my opinion, there are no good arguments for replacing the steering wheel with a yoke or for replacing the stalks with buttons. Neither of those are improvements.

I'd actually take it a step further and say that I'm not sure this is even subjective. Not sure there's any thorough testing or data on the subject, but the yoke is straight up missing half the wheel - in an emergency it has a lot of surface that can't be grabbed.

As for the stalks... buttons just *might* be sufficient for the task, but having to look for them is a no-go. I have no desire to give up my stalks, and I'm guessing 250 million other drivers in the US agree.
There may be no "good" arguments, but removing the stalks is a typical Tesla design move. You dump two moving parts in favor of buttons which are now integrated into the steering wheel. Now you don't need to deal with the stalk supplier anymore and you might save a few pennies also.